The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what you doing during the Summer months to get ready for the upcoming Waterfowl seasons?

Transformed these Drake Herter 72 Bluebills into Hens. Painting ain't my strong point but here they are.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Trying to make enough money fixing boats to be able to take the next 6 months off and go hunting everyday.
I don't even own a scaup decoy,it's the last bird I want coming to my decoys.And they still come piling in to my spreads anyway.
Not to sure if those plain brown deks will show up on greenish brown water. I hope you have 3X that many drakes,cuz the white shows up for miles.
They do look good though Goose,put some white light brush lines in the middle of the back and sides.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are alot of decoys in my barn.

The solid brown body is an experiment, them Bluebills aren't to sharp.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another mindless thing you can do during the off season is check the Long Range weather forecasts.

Here's Joe Bastardi's thoughts on the upcoming winter season.
Not very promising, Joe said it will be a warm Fall.

Snow forecast.

Joe did say the winter will flip sometime during Dec/Jan, but he's not sure when. If the weather does flip close to the end of Dec then we could be looking at this scenario.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Goosehunter said:
Another mindless thing you can do during the off season is check the Long Range weather forecasts.

Here's Joe Bastardi's thoughts on the upcoming winter season.
Not very promising, Joe said it will be a warm Fall.

Snow forecast.

Joe did say the winter will flip sometime during Dec/Jan, but he's not sure when. If the weather does flip close to the end of Dec then we could be looking at this scenario.

What! top map Dec-Feb temp map says warm.

Bottom map Jan-Mar temp map says cold.
I wonder witch is right. Kinda a contradiction.

I guess if you predict warm winter and cold winter you can't be wrong.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess if you predict warm winter and cold winter you can't be wrong.
Joe's always right.

More off season training early this morning, Annie is almost 1 year old already.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Diezel is officially retired to the wonderful life of being a house pet. At 10 years old he has been rode hard and put away wet.

Miss Annie had practiced Place & Fetch in the back yard, this was the first trip to the pond with both the Place Board & the Dummies.

Place & Fetch

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I just secured written permission for three farms and signed leases for two other farms this past week. Saw 24 geese loafing at a roadside pond yesterday. At least six had legbands.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There ya go, one of the most important Off Season things you need to do, find a place to hunt.
This would be a good spot to post a pic of how Gamble is working during the off season, I love that big dog.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
His momma took him to Bob Bush up in Warren, Pa for some new training exercises. He developed a disturbing popping habit while learning handling moves. He's coming along well and he's a decent hunting retriever right now. I know he has the potential to be exceptional and we're doing all we can to realize that potential. Momma really wanted him to be a good upla dog and he's so so hunting pheasants, but she knows as I have pointed out, his calling is geese and ducks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Goosehunter said:
Diezel is officially retired to the wonderful life of being a house pet. At 10 years old he has been rode hard and put away wet.

Miss Annie had practiced Place & Fetch in the back yard, this was the first trip to the pond with both the Place Board & the Dummies.

Place & Fetch
She is coming along good. I would try to get away from the "fetch" command. Use the dogs name to send. That way only one goes at a time,other one honors. When in a blind with 2 dogs,you decide what dog goes.You can't just yell fetch. With Dot, I can yell out names and she won't go till her name is given.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Boatman said:
Goosehunter said:

Place & Fetch
She is coming along good. I would try to get away from the "fetch" command. Use the dogs name to send. That way only one goes at a time,other one honors. When in a blind with 2 dogs,you decide what dog goes.You can't just yell fetch. With Dot, I can yell out names and she won't go till her name is given.
Absolutely stellar advice. Gamble only fetches when his name is called.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, we start tomorrow with Annie used for fetch.
As you know changing the verbal command is relatively easy.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You know,I think the hardest command to teach a young dog is the back command. For the first several months you called the dog to you and now you give them a command "back" and are asking them to run away from you. I think I ended up sitting her 10 yds in front of me and throw a bumper over her then yell "back Dot" then just 'back". I remember it was a struggle, not being a pro trainer,but these dogs are smart. They pick it up quick, what you want.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Great job Goose, she is really doing good. That is great you can get her to place at a remote location already.Now before she gets any bigger get her into a dog hut hunting blind.I did not think I would need to do that with Dot since I hunt 95% of the time out of a boat. Then I got into the field thing when she was 4-5 and it is still a struggle to get her into a little hut to hide. I really regret not doing it when she was little.So you can learn from my mistakes.

You will be able to set the hut off to the side or behind the layout blinds away from the guns.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts