The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I think tthis weekend will be a great weekend to go out and do some off season scouting. im not a serious shed hunter but there is something about a march morning looking for sheds and deer sign from the previous season. not bad looking for turkey sign either. what kind of scouting do you guys do in the off season?

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
To be completely honest, I very rarely spend time strictly scouting; I don't run any trail cams or anything like that. What works for me is simple keeping my eyes open while doing other things. Doesn't matter whether I'm trout fishing on a stream or bass fishing along a lake shore, I'm constantly on the lookout for deer or deer sign. I've seen some nice deer and found some great crossings like that. Same goes for squirrel and waterfowl hunting; I see alot and keep them in mind when deer season rolls around. Mushroom hunting, just taking a drive with the wife, even listening to the guy sitting in front me at the football game are all ways to get ideas of hunting spots. I've driven along and thought to myself, "Man, that looks like some good squirrel woods". So later on I might take the .22 for a walk, and find some great deer sign, and so it goes. Last spring, a guy across the stream from me just would NOT shut up about all the deer he sees downstream a mile or so. Didn't check it out last year, but I intend to this season. You never know.....

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
This is a great time to walk in the woods and locate trails and search for trees to hang stands. Just wish it would warm up a little

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
At home, I don't scout much. I hunt the same 3 or 4 places every year and they don't change much.
At camp I am constantly looking. Whether stocking or fishing for trout, spring turkey hunting or whatever. I find some of my best hunting spots during preseason trout stocking, especially the early ones when there is still snow on the ground. Last spring I found a spot that was loaded with deer, turkey and fisher sign. Took a walk back in there a couple weeks ago and it was the same. LOADED with fisher sign. Definitely gonna put out a few sets there next fall. Probably hunt deer there in rifle season too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts