The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tanned my coyote I got back in archery. It was fleshed and then frozen right away, then refleshed again before I started to tan it. The hide looks real good but she still smells like the day I shot her. I degreased the hide and did exactly what the instructions said,
any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I did the same thing,
The coyote smelled fine when fleshed, pickled and re-fleshed
and even when applying liqui-tan, it smelled like a new baseball glove.
Then while breaking it and drying, it started to smell like an
old smelly wet coyote again

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
OK,
I got tired of the smell so I de greased it again and shampood him with my wifes favorite shampoo, rinsed him out real good, and hung him,fur out, till dry.
I then re tanned him using the trappers hide tanning formula,
and left it skin on skin overnight.
I just turned him skin out and will let it dry some before the re-breaking process.
I'll let you know if the smell is eliminated

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might have to try that hope it works let me know

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Start breaking the skin before the leather is fully dry.

As a note, foxes and coyotes have underfats. This is why when I tan them, I detail flesh them with a fine wire wheel after they have been in the pickle a while. They go back in the pickle at least 2 days, then I degrease them by soaking in a solution of rittels super solvent/water/salt.I squeeze as much moisture out after this, and put them back in the pickle. I let them set in the pickle at least 1 day before removal and neutralization, which is followed by rinsing and applying the tanning agent ( been having good results with syn oil tan from van *****, which they don't seem to have anymore since stupid McKenzie bought them- I still use McKenzie, but it is annoying every time they buy up another supplier and drop certain unique products).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks steph
I did him on a wire wheel also,
also started breaking as the leather started to darken,
still not fully dry, but hanging on the swing outside.

But, it smells a whole lot better!!!!

Would you suggest the syn oil tan for garments?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
It would probably work great if you use a tanning oil after allowing the syntan product to soak in and do its thing for 6 hours min.

I looked in the latest Van ***** catalog and they don't seem to carry the syn oil tan anymore, but you may still be able to buy it from their online catalog. I haven't looked there yet. I've tried Rittels similar product and wasn't all that excited, however Rittels ez-100 is nice stuff, but is a traditional soak tan ( needs 16 hours of the hides immersed for stuff like fox/yote). Rittels products can be found at WASCO- taxidermy.com . I use the safety acid for my acid bath, and super solvent for degreasing.

I've also used krowtan2000 on small stuff and it works great for mounting. If you use a tanning oil, you can get foxes on down to weasels to be softened nicely.

I haven't had much luck doing beavers, muskrats, and larger raccoons with home tans for garment use.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
buckinuts,
I'd have to say it worked, the smell is gone.
I did make sure the fur side was dry before re tanning,
don't be afraid to shampoo it a few times, rinsing good with clean water in between shampoos.
I even have it hanging in me and the wifes bedroom

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man
Guess I will have to get busy!
I think I will hang mine in the man cave having on female in the bedroom is enough(sort of)LOL!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the odor is better but still there I am going to try wahing it in the best shampoo we have

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I might have to give a try.
Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts