The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tanned my coyote I got back in archery. It was fleshed and then frozen right away, then refleshed again before I started to tan it. The hide looks real good but she still smells like the day I shot her. I degreased the hide and did exactly what the instructions said,
any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I did the same thing,
The coyote smelled fine when fleshed, pickled and re-fleshed
and even when applying liqui-tan, it smelled like a new baseball glove.
Then while breaking it and drying, it started to smell like an
old smelly wet coyote again

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
OK,
I got tired of the smell so I de greased it again and shampood him with my wifes favorite shampoo, rinsed him out real good, and hung him,fur out, till dry.
I then re tanned him using the trappers hide tanning formula,
and left it skin on skin overnight.
I just turned him skin out and will let it dry some before the re-breaking process.
I'll let you know if the smell is eliminated

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might have to try that hope it works let me know

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Start breaking the skin before the leather is fully dry.

As a note, foxes and coyotes have underfats. This is why when I tan them, I detail flesh them with a fine wire wheel after they have been in the pickle a while. They go back in the pickle at least 2 days, then I degrease them by soaking in a solution of rittels super solvent/water/salt.I squeeze as much moisture out after this, and put them back in the pickle. I let them set in the pickle at least 1 day before removal and neutralization, which is followed by rinsing and applying the tanning agent ( been having good results with syn oil tan from van Dykes, which they don't seem to have anymore since stupid McKenzie bought them- I still use McKenzie, but it is annoying every time they buy up another supplier and drop certain unique products).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks steph
I did him on a wire wheel also,
also started breaking as the leather started to darken,
still not fully dry, but hanging on the swing outside.

But, it smells a whole lot better!!!!

Would you suggest the syn oil tan for garments?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
It would probably work great if you use a tanning oil after allowing the syntan product to soak in and do its thing for 6 hours min.

I looked in the latest Van Dykes catalog and they don't seem to carry the syn oil tan anymore, but you may still be able to buy it from their online catalog. I haven't looked there yet. I've tried Rittels similar product and wasn't all that excited, however Rittels ez-100 is nice stuff, but is a traditional soak tan ( needs 16 hours of the hides immersed for stuff like fox/yote). Rittels products can be found at WASCO- taxidermy.com . I use the safety acid for my acid bath, and super solvent for degreasing.

I've also used krowtan2000 on small stuff and it works great for mounting. If you use a tanning oil, you can get foxes on down to weasels to be softened nicely.

I haven't had much luck doing beavers, muskrats, and larger raccoons with home tans for garment use.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
buckinuts,
I'd have to say it worked, the smell is gone.
I did make sure the fur side was dry before re tanning,
don't be afraid to shampoo it a few times, rinsing good with clean water in between shampoos.
I even have it hanging in me and the wifes bedroom

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man
Guess I will have to get busy!
I think I will hang mine in the man cave having on female in the bedroom is enough(sort of)LOL!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the odor is better but still there I am going to try wahing it in the best shampoo we have

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might have to give a try.
Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts