The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Odell Beckham Jr.

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  dc 21 
#1 ·
Emotion Gets The Better Of Beckham Again

For all his catching wizardry and darting quickness, Pro Bowl wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. continues to expose his weakness of being goaded into emotional letdowns.

The Minnesota Vikings were the latest opponent to prey on his combustible nature on Monday, as they grabbed, hit and irritated Beckham to one of the worst games of his career.

Minnesota beat the New York Giants 24-10 and defeated their marquee pass-catcher Beckham who managed just three catches for 23 yards.

The dud performance snapped a streak of 28 straight games in which Beckham caught at least four passes, and also extended his season without a touchdown. The frustration clearly mounted as Beckham was shadowed by Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes who won their game-long tussling match and intercepted a pass in the win.

It was clear Rhodes had gotten under Beckham’s skin when the receiver drew a personal foul in the first half for trying to taunt the defender.

"You watch film and he's competitor. He likes to fight and get in people’s heads," Rhodes said, of Beckham. "He was cool in the beginning. But as he tried to get me riled up (I went back at him). I know his game."

Beckham losing his cool has become a common theme for the Giants. He had an outburst on the sidelines last week in a rematch with cornerback rival Josh Norman whose Washington Redskins edged New York 29-27.

In the closing stages of the game, Beckham let loose, knocking down a kicking net and prompting coach Ben McAdoo to say his star had gone too far. "Emotionally on the sideline in between the series, he needs to do a better job," McAdoo said. "He needs to control his emotions better and be less of a distraction to himself and his teammates."

Beckham’s reputation for eruption began last year when he famously feuded with Norman and committed three personal fouls during an ugly battle.

With each incident, defenses seem to be targeting Beckham with physical play in the hope that he will implode.

He should be grateful the League changed the rules to make it easier for guys like him to play in the NFL. He could not have played in this league before the rule changes.

#2 ·
dc 21 said:
He should be grateful the League changed the rules to make it easier for guys like him to play in the NFL. He could not have played in this league before the rule changes.
Just a Thug with some skills, and a really short fuse.

#4 ·
Looking at his behavior indicates that he is the poster boy for a talented athlete who has been coddled, privileged and permitted to get away with being a brat and a punk who craves being the center of attention. I actually like watching him play, but his antics are childish. What next; he's going to hold his breath until he gets a new toy?

#6 ·
I don't know how Head Coaches put up with guys like Beckham, Dez Bryant, etc.

That's the problem though, these guys think the sun rises and sets on them. Time was, a guy or two would take care of that stuff in the locker room. I guess those days are over too.

#7 ·
That's what happens when you make one spectacular catch and then suddenly everyone is singing your praises from the mountaintop about being the greatest in the league. It went to his head and now he blows a gasket every time someone starts getting the better of him. And now that corners around the league know that they can easily get under his skin, they are goating him into these childish antics...

#12 ·
Now the Giants head coach wants the game officials to watch opposing players who, he says, are baiting ODell Beckham jr. into unsportsmanlike penalties.

What a crybaby. A grown man, an NFL player, is complaining the other kids are bullying him.

The title "junior" fits him perfectly.

#16 ·
Of course other teams are baiting him into penalties!

It's no different than hockey when you have an agitator go out there and try to take the other team's star off his game and goad him into penalties.

Opposing corners are going to jaw with and jam Beckham before, during and after every play to get him off his game and more focused on getting back at them than running his routes and making plays. It is on him to let it all roll of his back and simply walk back to the huddle and after a while the baiting will stop.

#18 ·
TraskOutdoors said:
That's what happens when you make one spectacular catch and then suddenly everyone is singing your praises from the mountaintop about being the greatest in the league.
One "spectacular" catch, one "dang that was almost as spectacular as the first", and about 300, "holy crap that kid is good" catches. I agree whole heartedly he needs to grow up on the field but by all accounts, he's a pretty decent guy off the field. Far from a "thug". And he is stupid good at catching a football.

#19 ·
I never denied his talent but his little dust up with Norman last year set the tone for opposing defenders to get him off his game and bait him into stupid penalties.

He has been off the rails recently with his constant battles with opposing corners and then attacking the kicking net that bit him back...

I feel the same way about his antics as I do about Antonio Brown's dancing and gyrating all over the field. Just shut up and play! People are already amazed by your talent and tune in every week to see it on display so keep the sideshow "look at me" stuff off the field.

And I'm tired of this "but he disrespected me as a man" or said something bad about my momma" garbage as an excuse for lashing out and taking stupid penalties. Millions of people get disrespected verbally every single day and don't go around throwing punches because of it. Football is a violent and nasty sport with a lot of trash talkers in it. Your job as a player is to do your job to HELP the team win and don't do anything to HURT the team.

Right now Beckham is letting his own personal vendettas affect his job and it is hurting his team. If he keeps this up he is going to have more than just the opposition all over his back...

#20 ·
What kills me is his complaining that the refs are paying "special" attention to him. Everything he does is geared towards bringing extra attention to himself........

Make the play if it comes your way.
Help the play if it goes to someone else.
Get up and jog back to the huddle to see what's next on the plan to help the team win.
Run your lips and dance on your own time after the game.

#23 ·
What kills me is his complaining that the refs are paying "special" attention to him. Everything he does is geared towards bringing extra attention to himself........

Absolutely....

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta, be tough...

Even a kickers net kicked his butt...

Me, me, me, I, I, I.....Just another selfish, self centered Kid, who doesn't have a clue about TEAM not having an "I" in it...

#25 ·
Again, I don't deny he needs to grow up. But, he took the time to shake each and every hand of those servicemen. He could have stopped half way through, given a nod and run off to the locker room but he didn't. He made sure he thanked each and every one of them. He was half way through it and remarked, "Wow, how many of you are there?" and then followed that with "it doesn't matter, I appreciate what you all do for us". Thugs don't do that. I think he'll mature and much of this is the media trying to make a story. Bottom line is he's immensely talented and he actually is a pretty decent guy.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.