The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants to start applying for a moose tag somewhere in new england in hopes of one day getting the chance to hunt moose. Where is best to put in? I know thats a vague question but she isnt after a 50 inch bull or anything like that. What state, unit, etc?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
A few years back I read there was a much better chance sending to New Hampshire vs Maine.
I have send 20+ years to Maine and still no tag!!

Dave

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi Chris:

Not sure what your budget is on this hunt but here is a Newfoundland hunt to consider: http://www.premierhuntingadventures.com/moose/newfoundland-moosecaribou-fly-in-hunts/

$4100 for a 7 day hunt that includes meals, lodging, license, 1x1 guiding and the float plane flight! Top this off with guaranteed licenses and a 95%+ success rate on bulls and you have one heck of a deal.

No doubt this hunt can be done even cheaper in the states but you may never get drawn.

If you have any questions, give me a holler. BTW, I haven't shot the .243 yet but am itching to.

Larry

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
New Hampshire has the best odds and both myself and my brother-in-law have both been drawn. Apply for the A, B, and C zones. I've held two Vermont Moose tags as well and my wife has also been drawn in Vermont once. Apply for E1, E2, and D2 for your best chance. Keep in mind Vermont's success rate has fallen below 50%. I took a large Cow on the third day last year because you don't see many moose in Vermont. You'll see lots of moose in northern New Hampshire however.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I apply in Maine and New Hampshire every year. I have yet to draw in either State, but you've got to play to win. NH is a straight draw without bonus points. I think I recall that the draw odds for a nonresident are about 1 in 60 to 1 in 65 range. One chance for $25.
Maine uses bonus points which essentially are extra chances in the draw. The unusual thing about Maine is that they give you an extra point (chance in the draw) for each year that you are unsuccessful, but they also let nonresidents buy as many chances in the draw as they want. I don't buy a pile of chances each year, I usually limit myself to 6 which I think costs $35. You can enter with as few as 1, or you can buy them in blocks of 10 for $55 each.
Generally speaking, the moose population and success rates go up in each State as you head north. Both States publish the prior years success rates on their websites. Good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been applying to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Last year I drew both a Maine tag and New Hampshire tag. It took me about 17 years to draw the Maine tag and only about 5 to draw the New Hampshire. I think this year will be years number 5 for Vermont, I haven't drawn that one yet. All three states use the bonus point system.

Craig

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
i've been donateing to maine for to long but i'll do it again this year. last year i watched the drawing on line. i knew a guides kid got one first time he applied his dad tried every year. new hamp. lets you know how many pts. you have every year. maybe i'm bull headed thats why i keep trying. i only put in for bulls so that don't help same here with elk, nothing wrong with a cow just me good luck to all...later

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
For Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont do you have to buy a Non-Resident license first before applying? Also do you have to hire a guide or is a DIY public land hunt an option for some adventuresome hunters?

Thanks

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
broknaero said:
For Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont do you have to buy a Non-Resident license first before applying? Also do you have to hire a guide or is a DIY public land hunt an option for some adventuresome hunters?

Thanks

No you don't purchase a license first. And no you don't need a guide. I've been on five New England moose hunts and have never used a guide. Public land is decent but paper company land is best.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
mikes right diy need tag first. only thing getting a tag is the first peice of luck. then2nd. luck is getting moose. then 3ed. is oh my god what do i do now. how the .... am i gonna make this happen. as moosemike says start yelling here town here town. 2 days to shoot your moose 5 days to get it out.....later

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Yeah, bringing out a whole moose would definitely be interesting. I see all 3 states have bear season at the same time. I've brought out several large bear whole. I'm sure a moose is double the pain.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
broknaero said:
Guess I misunderstood. They CAN be quartered.

They can indeed be quartered. But there is a crowd at the check station the first few days and they want to see whole moose. Fish&Game weighs your moose for you and the most accurate weigh in comes from a whole moose. With the right equipment it's far easier to take a moose out whole than to quarter it (which doesn't work well anyway and most people cut the quarters in half to get them out). If you can't get an ATV or truck into the moose there are people with draft horses who will pull it out for you for a fee. I just feel as if I bring a moose in quartered I'd be disappointing people. The check station is a big part of the fun, I love all the compliments.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try Maine for sure. I have guided 2 hunters in the past few years that got drawn the first time they put in. Also your chance of killing something like a 50" or bigger Bull are better with a guide.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Bear Guide said:
Try Maine for sure. I have guided 2 hunters in the past few years that got drawn the first time they put in. Also your chance of killing something like a 50" or bigger Bull are better with a guide.

True. But your sense of accomplishment is much better without one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
fellas i was one of the lucky ones in 1999 to draw a maine moose tag (either sex) i did not use a guide went a week early and did plenty of scouting SC moose hunting zone I hunted an area just south of greenville called shirley mills yes i was successful and took a 56 in bull aprox 30 miles off the nearest paved road , i did take it out whole , as for an atv hmmmm i am here to say a 1998 yamaha 600 grizzly wouldnt pull it very well but the chevy did please remember as a hint if a whitetail deer is like dragging a bicycle through the woods a moose is like trying to move a school bus be prepared

1 - 20 of 45 Posts