The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,837 Posts
After the advent of smokeless cartridges, Winchester and Remington kept up a spirited competition well into the first several decades of the 20th century.

Almost every new cartridge introduced by Winchester, saw a similar one introduced by Remington for their line of rifles.

As a generalization, most of Winchester's cartridges were chambered in their lever rifles (M94, M1886. etc), so they were rimmed cartridges. Remington's "versions" were offered in their pumps, 14 and later the 141, so they were rimless cartridges.

For the most part they were pretty much similar in performance, like the 30-30 vs the 30 Rem. While I don't recall ever hearing of the 33 Remington, there was a 33 Winchester back in the 1930s.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
33 Winchester arrived in 1906 in the model 1886 lever gun.
As stated above, Remington often counterpunched with a rimless twin, but in this case their version was basically identical. I beleive patent infringement killed the Remington version. Does yours look like this?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Sounds like a neat momento. They are rare and collectible shells, sell for about $5 to $10 each. A full box I bet would go for $300, but I have never seen a full box.

·
Registered
25,837 Posts
If Rem had just added a W before the CF, wouldn't have been any infringement?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
Sounds like a neat momento. They are rare and collectible shells, sell for about $5 to $10 each. A full box I bet would go for $300, but I have never seen a full box.
True story...A friend of mine borrowed a very nice old 1886 Winchester in 33 Winchester off of his neighbor to hunt with...He hunted behind my house for a few hours...I hear all this shooting out back, ran outside and there he is shooting up the whole box of original ammo...At empty beer cans!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
NOOOOO! Hope he wasn't drinking them, LOL!
When I was a boy, an old farmer nearby had 3 full bottles of Mchenry Rye Whisky from the 1830's. Sealed and mint, God only knows what they were worth. His Grandsons and a few friends found them, stole them and drank it ! I recall they were not at school for a few days, don't know if it was the Antique Booze or the flogging they got ! PS Ken, If I bring beer can I hunt behind your house ? LOL!

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I was 12, Dad turned me loose with the 22...One day without asking, I took his .32 Marlin Rimfire, and burned 2 boxes of 50...All he had. Needless to say, when he found out I didnt sit down for a week...Took me 30 years to finally replace them.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I remember giving away .25 rimfire ammo years ago after I sold the gun. Now, the stuff is like diamonds or gold, who knew?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts