The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we have the what have you found in the woods while hunting and the what have you lost in the woods while hunting,...

Would be neat to see what everyone has seen that is Odd or funny in the woods.

I had a drunk grouse smash into a tree 1 day.

Was back in the early 80s. 1 of those years where we had a nice warm fall and Buck season was on the warm side.
There was a spot I liked to go to and sit on a big rock cliff that over looked a nice little thicket that all the deer liked to sneak into and get away from everyone hunting.

1 day I'm walking in, had to go thru an area that was majorly thick and had a mess of fox grapes growing in there..

Well that year, there was a lot of fox grapes still left hanging on the vines and were pretty dried up and I'm guessing very fermented..

I just got thru the green briers and a grouse went out of the fox grape vines...I heard it and looked up and saw it, that grouse was not flying all to good!
As I'm standing there trying to figure out why this gouse was not flying to good, it goes head first into a big oak tree and lands on it's back in the leaves..

I was shocked, stood there trying to think of WHY a Grouse whould fly head on into a tree?
As I'm looking at the grouse now on it's back and wondering why it was flying funny and flew into the tree, it rolls over, almost looked like a dog, shook it's head as if to shake off the feeling of the hitting the tree and the fermented grapes and started running away...
That grouse looked like a Drunken Human when it went to running, stumbling all over itself and falling over... I think it was 2 reasons it was running and falling all over the place..
a little drunk from the fermenting grapes
and
had a head ache from going head first into the tree and also starting to get a hang over!

had 3 doe come running full speed down the side of the step mountain that was all rocks, we always hunted for deer... was buck season and Dad told me to sit up, half way up the steep rocky area and he would circle back around and push from the top and push the deer out of what we called the "Flat" right off the top of the mountain, down to me..

About an hour after getting settled in, here comes 3 doe...they are running down the rocks, FULL SPEED...1 stumbles, goes head over heels and starts rolling, legs flying all around and I could see it was trying to get itself rightened again.

It finally stopped rolling and stood up..

That Doe looked around as if to make sure no one saw what had happened, shook a little and back down the mountain she went.

I stood and laughed from how it all went on..was still laughing when Dad got to me and I told him what had happened.

He said I should have had Film Camera because it would have made for a good show to show everyone else what had happened!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
This may not qualify but here goes. A long time ago, I think about 1965, we were at my grandfathers place and one hight, around the evening campfire, we noticed a strange light in the woods behind the property. The light appeard to be not high off the ground, about man height I would say, and it glowed yellow and blue(ish) and it kind of pulsated somewhat. Now, it was dead dark, except for the fire, and once we noticed that light the chatter from the group decreased as each individual saw the specticle and then the talk ceased entitrely. The whispers of concern began in low tones as everyone voiced their thoughts as to what it was. My dad, who was a railroader, was concerned that perhaps there was a mishap with a train on the single rail that ran about 300 yards from the camp and someone was flashing a light looking for help. On the other hand, there was the possability that somethng nefarious was afoot. In either case my dad, my uncle, me and my cousin headed in the direction of the light. We had flashlights and my uncle had his .45. Anyhow, we flased our lights at the pulsing glow and called out as we got closer. No response, just silence, except for our foot falls and rapid breathing. As we got closer the light got brighter, sharper and yet more unexplainable. Probably becaues there was no reaction to our calls and our flashing lights. We got to a point where my dad stopped us all and had us put out the lights. My uncle unholsterd the .45 and we stood there for about 15 minutes watching the weird dancing light and letting our eyes get accustomed to the darkness. I think we were about 50 feet away from the light and then we all went forward. We went forward and eventually came to an old dead tree that had broken off about 10 feet off the ground and the rotting wood was now exposed to the air and what we were seeing was a manifestation of Fox Fire. Thank goodness! Anyhow, it was beautiful, captivating and I remember it to this day as a benchmark of my early teen years.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
My friend and I were groundhog hunting the field above his house when a very nude man appeared from the corner, and was jogging around the field. We high tailed it to his house and told his dad. His dad grabbed a .380, jumped in the truck, and headed up over the hill. Turns out it was a neighbor's son (18 ish), and was shortly commited after that.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Many years ago, I was fishing in the second week of trout season on French Creek, Chester County. I had noticed several young people on the other side of the creek, having fun near an old house, but not fishing. A large rope was hanging from a nearby tree. I walked a short distance to my car for some new leader material. A Fish Warden pulled up and asked to check my license. While he was doing this, a young nude female began swinging on the rope, out over the creek. I said to the officer " Maybe you should check that first". He turned around and saw the barebutt girl on the rope. All he could say was "Oh mygud". It took him quite a long time to return to checking my license. We both enjoyed the show.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
jimsdad said:
This may not qualify but here goes. A long time ago, I think about 1965, we were at my grandfathers place and one hight, around the evening campfire, we noticed a strange light in the woods behind the property. The light appeard to be not high off the ground, about man height I would say, and it glowed yellow and blue(ish) and it kind of pulsated somewhat. Now, it was dead dark, except for the fire, and once we noticed that light the chatter from the group decreased as each individual saw the specticle and then the talk ceased entitrely. The whispers of concern began in low tones as everyone voiced their thoughts as to what it was. My dad, who was a railroader, was concerned that perhaps there was a mishap with a train on the single rail that ran about 300 yards from the camp and someone was flashing a light looking for help. On the other hand, there was the possability that somethng nefarious was afoot. In either case my dad, my uncle, me and my cousin headed in the direction of the light. We had flashlights and my uncle had his .45. Anyhow, we flased our lights at the pulsing glow and called out as we got closer. No response, just silence, except for our foot falls and rapid breathing. As we got closer the light got brighter, sharper and yet more unexplainable. Probably becaues there was no reaction to our calls and our flashing lights. We got to a point where my dad stopped us all and had us put out the lights. My uncle unholsterd the .45 and we stood there for about 15 minutes watching the weird dancing light and letting our eyes get accustomed to the darkness. I think we were about 50 feet away from the light and then we all went forward. We went forward and eventually came to an old dead tree that had broken off about 10 feet off the ground and the rotting wood was now exposed to the air and what we were seeing was a manifestation of Fox Fire. Thank goodness! Anyhow, it was beautiful, captivating and I remember it to this day as a benchmark of my early teen years.
Great story, I almost started a thread awhile back about Foxfire. I was curious if anyone had ever experienced it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Back in the 90's I had a WCO come in to the field I was archery hunting, look around and proceed to drop his drawers about 30 yards from me. He never knew I was there. And he picked up the litter and placed it in a bag, got back in his state vehicle and left. Caught numerous people doing the deed in the parking areas at the game lands.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BONZy said:
jimsdad said:
Great story, I almost started a thread awhile back about Foxfire. I was curious if anyone had ever experienced it.

What is foxfire, what causes it?

Is it like Swamp Gas?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Fox Fire, as I understand it, is the chemical reaction caused when certian bacteria, that normally live in rotting wood, are exposed to the air. The bacteri are cozy, moist and eating away at the decaying, or decayed, wood fibers. Once they are exposed to air, they die and in this process of death they give off a most erie glow. The glow can be red, blue, green or yellow. It's always beautiful, mysterious, memorable and I consider myself blessed as having seen it twice in my 60 years.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I was on deer stand once and I noticed a fellow about 100 yards below me and to my right a little..He seemed to be moving around at his spot and every now and then I saw a flash of white , so I got my binoculars out and proceeded to see him as he was just getting done "dropping the anchor" and he was using his long underwear as toilet paper..He stuffed them under a log and proceeded on his way...I just didn't see much sense in sticking around with all the new "buck lure" down there so I left.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I was fishing Long run in Tioga County about twenty years ago a watched a mink chase a grey squirrel to the end of a branch over the water, both jumped in, and after quite a bit of splashing, the mink dragged the squirel on to shore and into a tangle of roots. The mink notice me standing on the bank and took his meal back further under the bank.

I've seen alot of neat things while hunting and fishing. Amazing things go on in nature all day everyday. We get lucky enough to witness a few of them.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Good stuff fellas. Lets please keep it on the topic of strange, Odd, and naturally funny things you've experienced out in the field, and not a ton of posts about some poor bloke caught relieving himself outdoors

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I was fishing the Conestoga about 3 years ago in a stretch where floods have created sheer mud walls that are about 7 feet high above the surface of the water. I saw what I thought was a muskrat swimming right where the water met the wall but it looked like it was struggling. I got closer and realized it was a baby groundhog that had fallen in and couldn't get up the muddy wall on his own. He was exhausted, panting and could barely stay above water. I went very slowly and realized if I tried to grab him he'd likely bite so I gave it my best to be quick. In one big swipe of my arm I scooped him out of the water and did a hook shot, lobbing him like a grenade up onto the bank above me. The last thing I saw was this groundhog flying through the air with his legs spread out over the weeds.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
2nd story, and my personal favorite. I was about 15 hunting with my Dad at our favorite squirrel stand on a ridge overlooking an oak flat. We had been there for about 2 hours and hadn't seen much and the woods were dead silent. We hadn't said a word to each other literally for over an hour as we were both just enjoying the view and the silence that wind and rustling leaves usually interrupt.

I looked over to my dad and he had his head turned away looking at den trees to our right, and on top of the brim of his hat was a huge walking stick! Just as I opened my mouth to let him know a huge bug was on his head, it stepped off the edge of the bill and dangled in front of his eyes....in one liquid smooth motion he jumped up, threw his had off and yelled "CHEEEEEEEESE AND RICE!!!!!!!!!"(except the religiously offensive version) so loud it echoed off the ridges around us. I've never heard the silence of the woods split like that before!

·
Registered
835 Posts
sprinkled deer urine around me then set down to relax--instantly heard a racket in the woods coming towards me--I was thinking "boy this stuff works"then in a few seconds a fox comes running in my direction --jumps over me and keeps right on going

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I was in my mid teens (10-12 years ago) My uncle, cousin, and I were hunting Spring turkey. We had set up about 10 yards apart watching 2 different directions. I had found a tree that was old, and had branches that hung down and touched the ground. I "snuggled" up in between the branches. After a few minutes I heard something walking our direction. I noticed it was a Buck that just started to "y". Anyhow the deer walked right of to the tree I was in, but kept looking at my Uncle trying to figure out what he was.

The buck got so close that he brushed up against the branches I was in. Thats when he decided it was time to start snorting. After 2 face fulls of deer snot, I had enough and moved. I think the deer died right there, But was able to trip/kick my leg on his exit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here is a crazy but true one I think fits here. It was a Sunday in fall. Me and my son were talking with a neighbor who was working on his barn/garage. All of a sudden a doe bounds across the street, leaps a small hedgerow, lands in the bed of my pick up truck. From there she leaped onto the hood of my collector car that we had just washed, bounced off of there across my D-way and into the woods. I still have the hoof scratch marks on the hood. Not one of the three us said a word for a full five minutes.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
beechnuts farm said:
Here is a crazy but true one I think fits here. It was a Sunday in fall. Me and my son were talking with a neighbor who was working on his barn/garage. All of a sudden a doe bounds across the street, leaps a small hedgerow, lands in the bed of my pick up truck. From there she leaped onto the hood of my collector car that we had just washed, bounced off of there across my D-way and into the woods. I still have the hoof scratch marks on the hood. Not one of the three us said a word for a full five minutes.
This might be the craziest thing i have ever heard. But believeable

·
Premium Member
24,200 Posts
About 10 years ago in Spring Gobbler season my cousin and I went out one morning along the edge of a field on his farm. When we got there it was still dark so we sat there for awhile talking (whispering) and a thunder storm came along. It got pretty intense there for awhile then slowed down. I looked behind me in the woods and saw a strange light floating through the trees, almost like an S shape. We thought it was someone walking through with a flash light but no one showed up. We then thought it might have been lightning or something. Who knows.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts