The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the oddest thing that has ever happened to you while out hunting? I have a few.
I had a hot air balloon fly over me about 100 feet up. Well, no deer around here...lol. Same place....I hear something in the bushes and out walks a lady and a little kid out looking for a horse that got away. I told her she couldn't have picked a worse time to go look for it

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I was out Turkey Hunting in the spring and I was sitting there calling and calling and I heard some leaves ruffle and out pops a peacock 20 yards away! fan spread and everything. I also had a guy with a metal detector walk right under my stand the first day of rifle season!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I had a guy walk up a deer trail I was watching while I was up in the tree stand. He was sneaking up the trail oblivious to anything more than 6 feet off the ground when he had that "itch".Well as he stood there "digging" I figured he must have been using poison ivy as toilet paper. After nearly a minute of scratching relief he was looking around and spied me spying him. The look on his face was priceless!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have a very large family and normally have about 15 to 20 relatives hunting the same general area as I do. The second day of rifle season is when we all get together to put on drives.

A few years ago, In '03 I think, we had quite a bit of action in the morning. I went in around 11 or so to grab a bite to eat and refill the water bottles. Got back out around 12:30, parked and walked down to the railroad bed. Saw 2 guys about 200 yards down the tracks and with the binoculars was able to identify them as my uncle and cousin.

I got on the 2-way radio and gave my uncle a holler and found out that they were just setting up for another drive going the other way and that I should head back in a bit and post in an area that there were no standers.

The conversation lasted maybe 30 seconds. I turn around and there is a deer crossing the tracks not 35 yards away. Medium size doe, I was going to let it walk, but instead of hightailing it out of there, it walked into the bush and came up parallel to the tracks at about 25 yards.

Here we go! Rifle up, sights on, squeeze.... She was taking a step with the onside front leg as the gun went off. shattered the elbow, centered the lungs, top of the heart gone. The amazing part was that she was standing directly in front of a small maple tree that forked about 5 1/2 feet up. She leaped straight in the air and got stuck in that tree. 2 kicks and it was over.

My uncle gives me a yell "Did you get it?". I say "Yep, but you gotta get up here and see this."

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
One morning in archery me and dad are changing into our scentlocks at the truck. we had just turned the flashlights out and could here somethin walking toward us. we waited thinking it might be a deer but then when we put the light on it...it was a horse!!!

aparently the fence had broken at the farm nearby and the horses got out. but i can honestly say both my dad and i jumped like little girls when we saw it haha

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was a kid I sat under some pines just doing the wait thing when a nice buck came in front of me from left to right. I was shaking so bad when I took the shot. He ran back towards my left from where he came from once I fired so I went to see if I could find blood or him. I walked about 200 yards and stopped just before the road. I figured I missed and decided to head down to camp to warm up a bit. When I got to camp about an hour later my dad tells me that my cousin Jack got one, he found it on the road. I told him I think that I shot that. He offered to give it to me but I didn't think it was right if I took it so he ended up with a nice 8 point that year.

·
Registered
364 Posts
First day of buck season some years ago, I was sitting in my ladder stand, when some guy came about 20 yards from my stand. he got out his lunch and a portable radio and had his breakfast. this was right around 7 am. radio was loud enough for me to hear the music. about 20 minutes later a buck came from the opposite direction. never had one come that way. shot a nice 8 pointer that scored 138 B&C. don't know if he was coming for breakfast, or to hear the music. surprised the guy so much he spilled his thermos of coffee.

·
Registered
465 Posts
2 years ago i was sitting in the woods hunting for deer, and around 830 in the morning an old couple walk up right in front of me and i whistle at them, they wave turn and walk back they way they came. 20 minutes later the old guy walks back and comes up to me to tell me that he had not intended to disturb my hunting, he thinks the deer are a nuisance, and to wish me the best....

THis last winter me and a buddy were hunting coyotes around 6 in the morning. we pull up to our spot and there is another car there, we pull up next to it and get out, and to our surprise we found a woman "pleasuring" another guy, gave us a [censored] of a laugh thaty early in the morning, might have ruined his time though, this was on state game lands i might add.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Wonder if she has a sister

wierdest one ever happened to me was the first time I used local deer urine on boot pads to make a trail. bought the stuff at that store on 422 near Moraine. i walked an x trail in front of the short stand i planned on using and forgot to take the pads off my boots. climbed up in the tree and pulled out a Louis L'Amour book and proceeded to fall asleep in the cool autumn air. I was awoke to someone thumping my boot from below - thought it was cousin Joey waking me up to head out and I was mad that i slept the afternoon away. As I was moving to look down at him, I glanced at my watch and only 20 mins had passed - and as my gaze cleared the edge of the stand, there was a young six point standing on his hind legs, sniffing my foot and bumping it with his nose. Scared the bejeezus out of me which in turn scared him absolutely BONKERS. I don't think i have ever seen a deer turn inside out and disappear that fast in my life. All i could do was laugh at him...Needless to say I saw no more deer that day and Joey, who was in a stand about a couple hundred yards away wanted to know what I was laughing about.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHA!

sparkchaser said:
I had a guy walk up a deer trail I was watching while I was up in the tree stand. He was sneaking up the trail oblivious to anything more than 6 feet off the ground when he had that "itch".Well as he stood there "digging" I figured he must have been using poison ivy as toilet paper. After nearly a minute of scratching relief he was looking around and spied me spying him. The look on his face was priceless!

·
6,693 Posts
A few years ago in fall turkey we were walking down a path on a descent sized hill to get to our hunting location.

Suddenly we here cracking sounds right next to us, and it seemed like a tree was falling down. I look up at a tree about 10 yards away, and it was a Bear falling out of the tree! When I looked up, it was at least 30 feet in the air, and the noise started a few seconds before so the Bear was probably about 50-60 feet when it started to fall.

It was breaking tree branches as it fell down, and it landed straight on it's back. It got up fairly quickly and ran away.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
one morning i was up in a tree, rifle season, im wearing a blaze orange hoodie and a hat. this guy comes walkn in, closer closer closer.. finally he stops at the base of my tree. im trying my hardest not to laugh. i let him stand there five mins and i said "hey bud, how ya doin"... he looked around to find nothing. then i said "YO". he came unglued, then offered me to go hunt his private land for ruining my hunt. so i head off to his land... i have to cross a cow pasture. well im headed back, going in no cows and im greated by a HUGE bull. i walked backwards for 100 yards than turned and bolted. i hate bulls.

about five years ago i was working for the USDA studying grasses as a summer job while in college. we had red tags so i asked for one. well i decided to take the rifle on that trip... as im walking, new to these woods i find an old ladder stand someone made, still very sturdy... PERFECT. i get in the stand, im there about an hour and i hear a scratching sound, i stand up, look around, nothing. i hear it again im thinking a bird is walking up the back of my tree. i turn around and meet a racoon face to face. i said "BOO", he jumped from 20 feet and was gone like a flash.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Speaking of bulls, I was belly crawling across this pasture to get a better look at these 5 gobblers. A herd of cows start over toward them and after awhile they start chasing the toms around. They eventually chased the turkeys off and then noticed this strange lump in the field, over they come and pretty soon Im surrounded, so Im eye balling up the 30 or so cows that have me encircled when I notice one of them is bull, so I slowly back into a crab apple thicket and the bull comes after me, round and round we went around the only decent size apple tree in the thicket, on one pass I break off a good size branch and round the tree fast enough to be right on his butt, whack!!!! he bolted out of the thicket on one side and I on the other.

Then theres the time I snuck up on my brother staring down a rightaway and grabbed the barrel of his gun that was on his shoulder.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many years ago we used to have a place in Mcgees Mills (Clearfield County) that I was hunting at. Just down the road some young kid took a real nice buck and was dragging it out of the woods. Well while he was dragging it out some A-holes took the deer from him. He went and called the Pa. GC and they showed up. It got heated and he told them he can prove that the deer is his. He was smart enough to shove an unfired shell into the entree hole before he started moving the deer. The GC checked the deer, found it and it didn't match the other guys cal. Needless to say a couple of guys got a free ride out of the woods.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just remembered another.
Years ago a friend and I got the ok to hunt on this farmers land. He said the deer were damaging a bunch of crops etc. but that his wife loved the deer and she claimed them as her pets. He said hunt here but do it on the other side of the hill where she couldn't see.....no problem.
Well, I took a shot at a doe while on the other side of that hill but missed. In the heat of things the doe ran over the crest of the hill to where she could see from her window (she could hear the first shot). She watched as I took a second shot and the doe dropped. Needless to say all h*** broke loose. She came running out the back door yelling at me and calling for her husband. While they where stand on the back porch fighting I grapped the deer and pulled it out of sight to dress it. He came up and talked to me and he was ok with everything. I never went back to that place to hunt although I do run into him now and then and the subject always comes up and we laugh about it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A few years back I was hunting on some private property in Wayne county when three doe, two fawns and two sheep come walking out of the woods together. They looked like they belonged together. Ends up the sheep escaped from the farmer down the road a month prior and had been raoming with the deer since.
The farmer ended up getting his sheep back, not sure what happened to the deer!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
labluver said:
First day of buck season some years ago, I was sitting in my ladder stand, when some guy came about 20 yards from my stand. he got out his lunch and a portable radio and had his breakfast. this was right around 7 am. radio was loud enough for me to hear the music. about 20 minutes later a buck came from the opposite direction. never had one come that way. shot a nice 8 pointer that scored 138 B&C. don't know if he was coming for breakfast, or to hear the music. surprised the guy so much he spilled his thermos of coffee.
Priceless!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts