The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
LaurelRidgeR said:
looks like a normal ordinary summer red fox to me.
I have quite a few fox around my house that look the same. By winter they will all be red and fluffy.

·
Registered
25,988 Posts
We have a fox or two out back, that I call "brindles", because they are mostly red, but with some black/tan mixed in. Think of what most boxer dogs look like and that's it.

About 15 years ago there was one whose head, neck and most of the shoulder was brindle in color. She's long gone now, but every year I'd see one with at least some of that coloration on it. Including a young one two years ago that had almost as much of it as the female seen years ago.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on with that one. We have very few sightings of reds near my place in Ohio, and even fewer in the summer. I only see them regularly during the furbearer/furtaker seasons so I have had an honest to goodness good look at a summer-phase fox. Pretty cool pics you got regardless.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
1st picture he's peeing marking the spot, 2nd picture just being nosey, 3rd picture if you look closely, his hind leg is cocked alitttle like a dog marking that spot again. Fur looks just like a summer time red fox..

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
While it may be a cross mutation, it won't show that until the new fur starts to grow. Looks just like a summer coat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it is a red fox - chupacabra cross. Does it's eyes glow bright red?
Just kidding, it's probably just a bit darker, possibly a bit melanistic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts