The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out with a friend on the North Branch sunday evening. Was targeting bass and the river was muddy. I was throwing a chartuese stanley spinnerbait. Well i Pitched it close to the bank and as soon as it hit the water something crashed it hard. All I saw was a black silohoute take off. Thought it was a musky until I got it to the surface and it was this. Didn't know they would hit a spinnerbait. He crushed it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nice catch! I always thought it was neat randomly catching something you thought had no interest in a bait/lure that you are using..

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
wow! guys try to catch cnannels that big and fail, and you go do it accidentally. congrats on a great fish

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Couple years ago I was fishing the Susky and for some reason I decided to try my luck with a silver and blue rattle trap and throw it into some current. Wouldn't you know it, the first cast, Bang, a big channel cat about 25 inches. Took it off, threw out again in the same area and, Bango, another channel cat about 23 inches. I was like you when I had them on, thought it was a musky or a nice walleye or something. And you know, the only fish I hate catching are catfish.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
First congrats on a real nice fish!! Can't for the life of me understand why you would hate catching a nice cat fish especially a channel. What's not to like?? They fight well and are excellent eating and are usually east to catch.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Congrats! We have caught channels while trolling for walleye on Erie. It's amazing what they will hit sometimes.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. That's why I keep a set of bogas in the boat for toothy critters and catty's. I also love fishing the river because you never know what you can drum up on any cast. We did get one bass that night.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Nice fish guys!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have caught several channel cats on rebel plugs while fishing the Susq river for smallies.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
sometimes cats will hit on movement instantly....i have several #40 shovelheads on my resume and one of the ones that almost added to that total by going #37.5, hit a 1/2oz mister twister while walleye fishing. 8lb test and eventually into strong current....1.5 hours later and i couldnt believe it. i thought musky at first too but it's fighting style immediately signaled catfish.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's awesome. My dad caught a seven pounder last year on a rebel crab. River fishng is the best!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
muskyman62 said:
i thought musky at first too but it's fighting style immediately signaled catfish.
yep did the same with that cat after the initial hit and the fight ensued.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I've caught catfish from shore in Lake Erie while throwing size 18 rapalas for walleyes. Not too crazy...until I tell you that we fish for them by reeling them so slow that they only leave a wake on the surface and we twitch them too. So, catfish on a stick bait, at night, on top water.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In the river close to my house there is a place where on many summer evenings the catfish will be found top-feeding just like trout... it's weird but it happens!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts