The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
October Adventures​

Although fall officially begins in September, I really don’t consider it to be autumn until October arrives. I look forward to fall angling every year. The weather cools and stream conditions, often low and warm coming into the month, improve dramatically. Also, the foliage and the colors of the trout can’t be beat. With the recent heavy rains and cooler weather, low water levels and warm temperatures haven’t been much of a problem. I’m glad that the floods took place before the spawn, though more floods are still a possibility.

I considered fishing on Friday but with the very cold overnight air temperatures and clear skies the next day, poor action was likely, so I stayed home. Yesterday looked more promising for fishing a meadow stream that I hadn’t visited in a while. The forecast called for heavy clouds much of the day, so I rose early and made the long drive.

Despite the good conditions, the action was slow. It took almost 20 minutes to catch my first trout, a 9 ½ inch wild brown. Next was a 10 ½ inch rainbow. Though the stream is classified as a wild brown trout stream, stocked trout find their way into the stream from multiple sources. The rest of the hour produced four more wild browns, ranging from 10 to 12 inches. A sub-legal brown hit and got off near the end of the hour.

My second angling hour was a bust. I lost a medium sized brown but didn’t get any action until the very end of the hour. A heavy brown burst out from an undercut to slam my spinner. I set the hook and the trout zoomed downstream. Unfortunately, while trying to work him away from some in-stream structure, the spinner pulled out. I tried to rush him a little and paid the price. With a little more patience, I should have landed that one. With that, angling hour #2 was a zero trout hour.

I lost three trout in a row to begin the next hour. After checking my hook points, I flipped a cast ahead to an inviting bit of pocket water. A heavy brown darted in and engulfed the spinner. This time I took my time and did it right. It measured 17 ½ inches, and though it’s colorful, it’s obvious from the tiger trout like spots that it’s a stocked fish. I would have preferred to catch the big brown I lost because it was obviously a beautiful wild brown, but it doesn’t work that way. You get what you get.

Water Underwater Fish Marine biology Fin

The action the remainder of the hour was much better. Shortly after releasing the big brown, I caught wild browns of 9, 13 ½, 10, and 12 ½ inches. After several trout followed without hitting, a 15 inch brown came to hand. I zipped the spinner under a bridge into a deep pool and a huge rainbow blasted it. It wasn’t on for long, though. I’m not sure how long that fish was but it was unbelievably fat. I wasn’t upset at all at losing that fish. It was an obvious stocker that was certainly being fed to reach such an enormous size. Though I generally don’t like the term “pellet head” in reference to stocked trout, I think it’s appropriate for trout like that. A few casts later, a nice 15 ½ inch wild brown was released.
Water Liquid Fish Marine biology Fin

Water Salmon-like fish Fish Oncorhynchus Outdoor recreation

Just before the end of the hour, a beautifully colored 14 ½ inch brook trout was added. With its size and weight, it was another obvious stocker. I fished that stream for another ½ hour and lost 2 more trout without landing any, so I decided to move downstream to the stream it feeds.

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Salmon-like fish

The mainstream is much larger in that section than upstream and wading it was a challenge.

Water Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape

After a small brown hit and got off, a 13 ½ inch wild brown was my first trout from the second stream. Three casts later, a nice 15 inch brown hit and was landed. It was followed by browns of 9 and 7 inches. After a short lull, I pulled in an 11 inch stocked rainbow. Another lull followed and lasted the rest of the hour.

Water Nature Salmon-like fish Oncorhynchus Underwater

I tried a couple of plugs and a small rainbow hit one and wriggled free but that was the only activity on them, so it was back to spinners. I fished that stream for a half hour, which produced wild browns of 9 ½ inch and 12 ½ incher. The latter hit right at the mouth of a tributary stream.

Though the trib was surprisingly cloudy, I decided to try it. Rainbows of 12 ¼ and 11 inches on back to back casts started the action there. A third rainbow hit and got off. A couple of browns flashed at the spinner, but nothing hit until I reached a pool with a log against the bank. “Looks like a good spot for a big brown,” I thought. With that, a brown lunged out from under the log and intercepted the spinner. My hookset was good, and I had to quickly adjust the drag to avoid the big trout breaking the line. After a few minutes, I knelt to measure and take a picture of a 17 ¾ inch brown.

Water Vertebrate Liquid Salmon-like fish Fluid

Another deep pool was ahead but it produced nothing. I caught five more trout in the trib, wild browns of 6, 7 ½, 9, and 12 inches, along with an 8 inch rainbow. Before reaching posted water, a small trout hit and got off. I returned to a lower section of the first stream I fished, lost two more trout, and decided to call it a day.

Overall, my total was 29 trout, 23 browns, 5 rainbows, and 1 brook trout. All trout were caught on spinners. Two were over 16 inches and three were between 15 and 16 inches. I lost at least 10 trout on the day, including two big trout, plus another one that was on the borderline of hog and near-hog. My phone registered 5 miles walked.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful fish again TT!! Sounds like a good day.
Thanks. I expected to catch more trout from the first stream but was happy to get the big trout from the third stream.

·
Registered
11,390 Posts
Looks like another great day, and maybe like you're feeling better. Your threads always make me wish I was out on the water. You got some nice browns! And even for a stocker, that brookie isn't missing many meals...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like another great day, and maybe like you're feeling better. Your threads always make me wish I was out on the water. You got some nice browns! And even for a stocker, that brookie isn't missing many meals...
Thanks. While I didn’t catch a lot of trout, several were good size.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
High Expectations, Lower Results​

After heavy rains on Monday, I headed to a watershed I hadn’t fished this year, hoping to have a big day catching native brook trout and wild browns. The streams in that watershed are picturesque, and I’ve had many great days there. Unfortunately, when I pulled up, I saw the stream was extremely high. I should have left immediately, but I stupidly decided to try it. The first stream yielded two small browns on back to back casts, but nothing else. I skipped the fast flowing sections, but the calmer pockets weren’t producing, so instead of leaving, I walked to up the tributary to see if it fished better. It was high but more fishable, yet the trout weren’t cooperating at all. One 11 inch wild brown was all the tributary produced. After fishing a spot that always yields multiple trout and not even getting a follow, it was WAY past time to bail for another stream. I can't remember going to that watershed and failing to catch at least one brook trout, but that was the case yesterday.

I headed to a nearby small stream which has produced quite a few big trout for me this year. It was high was well, but with the increased flow, I thought it might well grant a big trout or three:). After fishing up from my car and getting nothing, I decided to walk downstream to a flat area and fish back to my car. Due to the heavy flow, I tied on a large spinner. About five minutes after wading in, a nice trout struck. My hookset was true, and the brown zoomed toward the far bank, then downstream before ending up at my feet. It measured 15 inches and was my largest trout of the day to that point. A few minutes later an 8 incher was released, followed by an 11 incher. A big brown followed my spinner further upstream but didn’t hit.

The next set of water yielded nothing, not even follows. I tried a plug and a different spinner, to no avail. As I approached where my car was parked, I began to head toward the bank to leave for another stream but decided to try a shielded pocket on the far bank. My cast dropped right against the bank and a heavy brown smashed the lure as I began the retrieve. After battling the weight of the trout as well as the heavy flow, the 18 inch brown lay at my feet.

After releasing the trout, I tried several casts with no response. The question was, what to do next? Walk upstream and try another section or head to a different stream, which was likely lower? Though tempted to try another stretch with a chance at more big trout, I opted to head to a scenic freestoner nearby.

Upon arrival, the stream was higher than expected but at least it was fishable. About 10 minutes after resuming, an 8 ½ incher came to hand, with an 8 incher within a few minutes after that. 9 additional wild browns ranging from 6 to 10 ½ inches were landed in the remainder of the hour. I caught only one more trout in the next 15 minutes. After trying a spot that regularly produces and getting nothing, I decided to head back to my car.

Overall, it was a disappointing day, with 18 wild browns, which isn't a lot for the time and trouble invested. My initial stream selection was poor and I compounded it by not leaving immediately. The big trout and the action on the last stream helped to salvage the day, but it could have been a lot better if I’d listened to my instincts that told me to leave the first stream immediately. I got my exercise, walking 5.6 miles.

Water Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape Tree

Water Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Tree Natural landscape

Water Plant Leaf Natural environment Natural landscape

There is a huge waterfall in the distance. It's higher than I've ever seen it.
Water Plant Natural landscape Tree Branch

Water Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Oncorhynchus Fish

Vertebrate Water Salmon-like fish Fish Marine biology

Water Plant Plant community Fluvial landforms of streams Tree

Water Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape Tree

Organism Fish Marine biology Tail Fin

This brown had large spots for such a small trout

·
Registered
384 Posts
All in all not a bad day and for certain better than working! Brown trout in the Fall always look so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
All in all not a bad day and for certain better than working! Brown trout in the Fall always look so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the post.

It's always nice to be out fishing, but I've had many great outings in the past on the two streams I fished first and was hoping for another one. The stream I fished last probably should have been my first choice.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My stream selection and timing of fishing trips has definitely not been as good this year as other years. I hope to improve that the rest of the year.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sunday Limestoners​

I rose early on Sunday and made the long drive to fish a pair of limestone streams. I parked my car and put on my waders. It was spitting rain, which made me think of putting my rain jacket in my vest. It’s a heavy jacket and I hate taking it, so I decided against it. The water level was elevated, and it was difficult to get my spinner deep enough at first.

I tried different spinners before landing my first trout, a 9 inch wild brown. The first hour only produced four additional trout, all wild browns between 6 and 9 ½ inches. All were caught in the first half hour. After that, I lost three trout. I tried a plug, but only had one follow so I went back to spinners.

The next hour opened with another 9 ½ inch wild brown. Several small trout flashed at the spinner before one hit. My hookset prompted the small brown to bound out of the water four times and throw the lure. About ten minutes passed with no action and then I caught browns of 8 and 8 ½ inches on back to back casts, my first BTBer of the day. After another lull, my second BTBer resulted in browns of 7 1/ and 10 ½ inches. Three more trout came to hand before the end of the hour, two 9 inchers and an 8 incher. A heavier trout hit but quickly got off.

The action in the third hour was slow and resulted in only three trout, two 8 ½ inchers and an 11 incher. Unfortunately, I had to climb the bank as there was a newly posted stretch. It’s a shame because that section of stream is very nice. I walked back to my car and drove upstream. The action in the second section I fished was more consistent than the first. It took 1.25 hours to reach another posted section. During that time, 15 more trout were landed. All but two were wild browns. The other two were stocked browns of 15 and 14 inches. I caught them in slow deep water that I usually skip. An additional four trout hit and got off during that time, including a medium sized rainbow.

I left there and went to a tributary. The fishing in the small stream was very inconsistent. There were several lulls, then I’d catch several trout within minutes of one another. I tried two different sections and caught 20 wild browns. Although I caught fewer trout in the second stream, they were larger on average. The biggest were two 14 inchers.

My total for the day was 51 trout, all browns. All but two were wild. Every trout caught hit spinners. I lost one trout on a plug. So far this month, fishing with plugs has not produced for me. My phone app showed 5.8 miles walked. I only took a couple of pictures on the day for some reason and only one of them came out well.

Both streams were much different than the last time I fished them. The recent flood really altered the streams. It washed out log jams and other structure that had been there for years and dislodged many bank stabilization devices.

Water Fish Marine biology Brown trout Salmon-like fish

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Birthday Fishing​

Every year, I try to celebrate my birthday by going fishing. My sister used to tell me that fishing on my birthday isn't very festive. It is to me.

The stream I fished the last two years on my birthday was far too low to even consider fishing, so I met my friend Mark on a large stream that is very popular. Mark arrived about 15 minutes after I had started fishing, just as I was releasing my fourth trout. The fishing started fast. I caught 10 in the first 45 minutes, including a 16 ½ inch brown and a 14 ½ inch brown on back to back casts. Unfortunately, the action really slowed once we got above a bridge. We attributed it to recent fishing pressure. We fished a little past the next bridge before deciding to head back to our vehicles. Mark was having pain in his foot and decided to quit for the day. I’m not sure how many trout he caught, but I believe he caught 11 or 12 browns and 3 smallmouth bass, with the largest trout being 15 inches. My haul at that point was 15 trout and 1 bass. Upon reaching the parking area, we saw that someone had actually launched a large raft.🙄 The stream was too low for that, but it also told me that I would need to fish upstream of where he launched.

I drove to an area that can be hit or miss, waded across the stream, and walked down to a promising riffle. A 9 inch brown hit a small plug, but I got no action on it after that and soon switched back to spinners. I fished through a shallow set of riffles most people bypass because they think the water is too shallow. Wrong! I caught 8 trout in that riffle and lost 2 others. The first hour in that section yielded 15 browns, ranging from 7 to 12 inches.

The next hour started slowly as two spots that are hit hard only yielded three trout, but two of them were nice at 14 and 13 ¾ inches. Four more trout along with a little smallmouth bass, were landed in the rest of the time before I climbed the bank. A slow deep section was ahead, and there were two cars parked there when I drove past it before going downstream below them. Both cars were gone, so I walked upstream past the deep water to the next set of riffles. Two trout hit and got off before landing a 9 ½ incher. Nine trout were added to my tally during the hour, including four between 12 and 14 inches.

Upon reaching another slow section, I figured to make a few casts, get little action, and then walk out, but browns of 9 and 12 ½ inches persuaded me to keep going. Every time I thought about wading out, I’d either catch a trout or get a hit. Before I knew it, I was much further upstream than I anticipated. Seven more browns and two little bass completed the day’s angling. There was still daylight left, but I was tired from the long day and still had to get some dinner and drive home.

The count for the day was 54 wild browns and 4 smallmouth bass. All were caught on spinners except for one brown on a plug. The biggest trout was 16 ½ inches. Mileage walked was 3.9.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sounds like a Great Birthday trip to me!! Happy Birthday TT!! Assuming you fished yesterday, if so you share the day with my mom. I’m sure she’s a bit older than you are though, having turned 80 yesterday.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sounds like a Great Birthday trip to me!! Happy Birthday TT!! Assuming you fished yesterday, if so you share the day with my mom. I’m sure she’s a bit older than you are though, having turned 80 yesterday.
Thanks very much! I did fish yesterday. Happy birthday to your mother. I’m in my 50s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts