The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it strange that I'm more excited for ML Doe/Bear than the opening of Archery this year?
It's bad, it's haunting my dreams bad.
The inline and flintlock are all dialed in and ready.
Even while flinging some arrows and bolts in the back yard, my mind keeps drifting to the ML hunts.

We need a 12-step group.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Can’t say I’m all excited about muzzy season but the nice bucks showing up on cam have me wanting October to get here!
Have bear tag and lots of doe tags. Shoot the doe to fil the freezer and shoot the bear because they’re a nuisance Imo. I hope they set a record bear harvest!!!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Is it strange that I'm more excited for ML Doe/Bear than the opening of Archery this year?
It's bad, it's haunting my dreams bad.
The inline and flintlock are all dialed in and ready.
Even while flinging some arrows and bolts in the back yard, my mind keeps drifting to the ML hunts.

We need a 12-step group.

No it ain't strange. Deer every where this year and being out with the flintlock when its not freezing or raining ice is a treat. If we don't make meat by 9am the first day I'll be surprised. :smile_big:

Reactions: Wingatchtochwilsit

·
Registered
268 Posts
This season is an awesome opportunity and I hope lots of hunters are able to get out and take advantage of it. I'm also interested in seeing how this season impacts the sale of muzzleloader licenses. I think this will lead to a renewed interest in muzzleloader hunting among many.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It most likely won't increase muzzleloader license sales as you don't need a muzzle loader license to hunt bear in the muzzle loader season, a bear license and a general license is all that is required.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Not sure what's happening to me. Didn't get a muzzleloader stamp this year. I didn't even bother to send for a doe license. I had 3 doe tags last year, but didn't really hunt for a doe. I think my days of filling doe tags are over. I got an archery stamp this year but not sure how much I will go. I even have the week of early muzzleloader off of work. I think I might spend it chasing my new passion, waterfowl hunting. Started getting somewhat serious about it last year. So far I'm liking it. Totally different scene for me, but it's all good.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Not sure what's happening to me. Didn't get a muzzleloader stamp this year. I didn't even bother to send for a doe license. I had 3 doe tags last year, but didn't really hunt for a doe. I think my days of filling doe tags are over. I got an archery stamp this year but not sure how much I will go. I even have the week of early muzzleloader off of work. I think I might spend it chasing my new passion, waterfowl hunting. Started getting somewhat serious about it last year. So far I'm liking it. Totally different scene for me, but it's all good.

You gotta hunt your own hunt Windwalker. Tuscarora said Those who have one foot in the canoe and one foot in the boat, are going to fall into the river. Meaning you cant concentrate on two things. All that matters is that your out there enjoying it. Good luck, good hunting.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The itch is getting BAD!

Setup a GP tent at the property this week (crazy construction delays, looks like we're "roughing it" this year lol. Not too rough though. We'll have heat and power in the tent...)

Hogged around the blinds and cleaned up the lanes. Plots are doing great.

Someone forgot to turn on the cams after the last cutting and bailing... :( So no pics since the 2nd week of August... but plenty of action on the cards prior to shutoff, including 2 nice looking bears.
Will see when I get back up in 4 weeks.

Getting the left knee scoped on 10/8. Praying the doc is right with his predictions... Either way, I'll be in the woods for ML.
Definitely not dragging anything this year.. but that's what ATV's and a nephew are for. :)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
This season is an awesome opportunity and I hope lots of hunters are able to get out and take advantage of it. I'm also interested in seeing how this season impacts the sale of muzzleloader licenses. I think this will lead to a renewed interest in muzzleloader hunting among many.
Make buck legal for flintlocks that week and maybe then....lol

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Stupid question but can you use an inline for the early muzzy for bear? I am more excited for early muzzy than any other season this year. Tons of bear on my cameras. A little dissappointed the farmer just cut all but one field of his corn because they were losing to much because of the deer and bear. Hoping the one field is still there come muzzy season if not the mountain that is part of this property has more acorns than you can shake a stick at. I am predicting a large bear harvest this year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Firehawk is ready to go. I just hope the nut behind the butt does HIS part!
Best muzzleloader I've ever had. Finely balanced, spooky accurate, reliable and quite the looker too!
The rear sight is a Savage #10. They used to put them on the Model 23 bolt actions.
Got this one as a blued/ walnut with a thrashed barrel. Got the stainless barrel for $150 and swapped out parts. Hence the blued/ stainless combo. Her name's Calico. .50 caliber.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And so starts the longest 2.5 weeks of the year...
I'm about 96 hours out from arthroscopic surgery on the knee, so I've been spending the last few evenings taking care of some "advance prep" for the ML hunt.
Got my gear bag for the blind packed, double-checked, repacked:
(Range-finder, ear-pro, compact cleaning kit, 3 piece work rod, speed loads, primer fobs, flintlock possibles, horns, etc, knife, extra Kolpin bands.)
Inline and Flintlock are cased and ready in the safe, holstered 44 tucked into the inline's case.
FO and outer layers are clean, sprayed with scent blocker and anti-UV.... hanging in the garage closet.
Duffel bag is packed
Coolers are clean, dry, and ready. Stashed my camp percolator in the small one, can't forget that this year!
Chest freezer has been defrosted and cleaned, currently has a few packs of pastrami and sausage left, and 1 last rump roast.
8 gallon jugs of water are just about frozen solid...

Basically all packed aside from the food & beverage for the trip.. Moved everything except the guns to the garage to minimize lugging things up/down stairs when it's time to load the vehicle. Won't be making up for the opening, thanks to a post-op followup appointment... but Lord willing, I should be in the blind by sun-rise on the 24th (Thursday).
Trying to stave off the "stir crazy"...but it ain't working :plain:

·
Premium Member
24,278 Posts
Good luck Wingatchtochwilsit with your knee's condition. Sounds like you are pretty well to hit the woods!! I'm leaving Weds(10/23) for camp and will hunt the last 3 days. Be taking my 6.5 Swede(im an old geezer:grin2:), plus my TC Prohunter and my 54 cal PA mountain flinter. Not sure where im hunting at this point but will have it covered gunwise. For the past several years I saw more bear in the early ML Season than any other time. Hopefully, this year will follow suit!!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck Wingatchtochwilsit with your knee's condition. Sounds like you are pretty well to hit the woods!! I'm leaving Weds(10/23) for camp and will hunt the last 3 days. Be taking my 6.5 Swede(im an old geezer:grin2:), plus my TC Prohunter and my 54 cal PA mountain flinter. Not sure where im hunting at this point but will have it covered gunwise. For the past several years I saw more bear in the early ML Season than any other time. Hopefully, this year will follow suit!!
Thanks, Loggy!
I'm doing my best to be prepared (mentally, logistically, and physically.)
We've got a lot of bear sign as well, and a few on camera, so there's hope of tagging one this year too.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'm sitting here about 12 hours post-op.
Pretty stiff, but mostly just a dull-to-moderate ache... Doing the ice & ibuprofen for now, holding off on the stronger prescription unless/until it's needed.
Gonna take it easy tomorrow, then start "easing" back into the routine. Hoping to be comfortable on stairs by the weekend, then it'll be some range of motion and strengthening exercises.
Figure if I can handle stairs while wearing a backpack and can lift a few pounds with the ankle/lower leg, I'll have no trouble shifting the ATV or getting into the blind in 15 days...
But my first objective is a good night's sleep, fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts