The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
As with others had high hopes and it was after dark when the deer came alive. Bummer of a night.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Anyone hear any muzzy shooting today. I was in the woods til 11 this morning and heard a total of 1 shot. Thought that was odd.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A bust tonight. 2 bull elk, and 2 does that saw said bull elk and made a prompt 180 back into the woods. The elk have been here for a few years but the deer really tend to avoid them. Usually always a bust when the elk come out first

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Well, 7th sit in the books and I have yet to see a deer from the tree. Before I left I made a nice big scrape 20yds from where my climber is and pee’ed in it. I won’t hunt that again until Halloween morning.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I heard 3 this morning by the time I left at 11 and then I went back out this afternoon and just got to my spot and when I got out of my truck I looked down only to see I was getting a flat tire ! Second one in 2 days at least I get to change this one in the daylight !! While changing the flat I heard a shot right by my stand so I got the tire changed and headed back home !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Took my 7 year old along for a sit in a blind at my buddy’s property close to home. It was his first ever hunt with me and I was praying all evening for some deer to show up, but it wasn’t meant to be. Not sure he’ll remember it down the road, but I know I will. Wish my old man was still around to join us.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Two doe and a decent buck in the distance. I was so distraught with all the vehicles parked while heading up the mountain I forgot my bow and didn’t realize it until I was 50 yards into the woods. Hunted pretty close to the road so I was down and back to my truck in 30 minutes. Not a single vehicle was left on the way back down the mountain. Guess no one got anything and they definitely weren’t hunting areas I like to go because they wouldn’t of made it back to their trucks yet. Made me feel a little bit better about all the pressure today.
At least you saw some.Been there done that on the bow thing and my quiver of arrows another time.Getting up early and being in a hurry a number of days in a row does fog up the brain.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
At least you saw some.Been there done that on the bow thing and my quiver of arrows another time.Getting up early and being in a hurry a number of days in a row does fog up the brain.
Last year I had quite the experience with leaving things behind, left the quiver in the car, got to the stand with one arrow, shot at a doe and missed, got down and got the arrow, had to clean it off with my coat and put the Shock Collar back on, within 20 minutes an old 8pt came in and shot him.

·
Registered
105 Posts
10/17/2020 - I hunted a different stand until about 9:00am and saw nothing. Not surprising, the Solunar Table said minor game movement was ending around 7:30am. At 9:00am I decided to move 200 yards across the hill to a different stand. I settled in, Solunar Tables said major game movement should be 11:30am to close to 3:00pm. Around 10:00 the wind changed direction and I had a spike wind me as he stood in the exact same spot I shot the deer in the picture. 20 minutes later the wind changed again, died down a bit, and all was normal. Around 11:00am I saw a tree shaking about 50 yards away and I knew it had to be a buck rubbing it. A short time later the deer started moving towards me and it cut the escape track of the spike and got real squirrely. He stood 40 yards away his head was bobbing & turning for several minutes. After he settled down he went to feeding. As I watched he turned and was heading up over the hill, away from me. For a few minutes all I could see were the tops of his antlers. He started back towards me on a line that would bring him within longbow range. He stopped, turned and was walking left to right, then turned slightly giving me a good, slightly uphill, quartering away shot at 20 or so yards. I drew, anchored, released, heard the thud of the hit, and the deer just dropped like a bag of cement. He kicked for about 2 seconds and stopped. I coud see foamy blood pouring out where the arrow was. I looked at my watch, it was 12:00 noon exactly. I sat there for 30 minutes just to be sure he was dead before I got down to check him out. I pulled my arrow, no broadhead. I carefully dressed him out, not wanting to get my hands sliced by the the broadhead. I got all the entrails out, and cut away the diaphragm, but before I went after the lungs & heart I took a look inside the cavity. The broadhead was buried in the spine. The arrow entered through the last two ribs, taking out the liver & lungs, and embedded in the spine.
101720buck.jpg
The hit.jpg

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I heard 3 this morning by the time I left at 11 and then I went back out this afternoon and just got to my spot and when I got out of my truck I looked down only to see I was getting a flat tire ! Second one in 2 days at least I get to change this one in the daylight !! While changing the flat I heard a shot right by my stand so I got the tire changed and headed back home !
I had a flat coming out of the mountain Monday evening. I have a new set of 10 ply ordered. I don't like changing tires in a garage and like it even less in the woods.

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
10/17/2020 - I hunted a different stand until about 9:00am and saw nothing. Not surprising, the Solunar Table said minor game movement was ending around 7:30am. At 9:00am I decided to move 200 yards across the hill to a different stand. I settled in, Solunar Tables said major game movement should be 11:30am to close to 3:00pm. Around 10:00 the wind changed direction and I had a spike wind me as he stood in the exact same spot I shot the deer in the picture. 20 minutes later the wind changed again, died down a bit, and all was normal. Around 11:00am I saw a tree shaking about 50 yards away and I knew it had to be a buck rubbing it. A short time later the deer started moving towards me and it cut the escape track of the spike and got real squirrely. He stood 40 yards away his head was bobbing & turning for several minutes. After he settled down he went to feeding. As I watched he turned and was heading up over the hill, away from me. For a few minutes all I coud see were the tops of his antlers. He started back towards me on a line that would bring him within longbow range. He stopped, turned and was walking left to right, then turned slightly giving me a good, slightly uphill, quartering away shot at 20 or so yards. I drew, anchored, released, heard the thud of the hit, and the deer just dropped like a bag of cement. He kicked for about 2 seconds and stopped. I coud see foamy blood pouring out where the arrow was. I looked at my watch, it was 12:00 noon exactly. I sat there for 30 minutes just to be sure he was dead before I got down to check him out. I pulled my arrow, no broadhead. I carefully dressed him out, not wanting to get my hands sliced by the the broadhead. I got all the entrails out, and cut away the diaphragm, but before I went after the lungs & heart I took a look inside the cavity. The broadhead was buried in the spine. The arrow entered through the last two ribs, taking out the liver & lungs, and embedded in the spine. View attachment 160832
Awesome buck ! Congrats !

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I had a young momma and 5 little ones sneak behind me...they stopped all bunched together for a few seconds (all heads looking back) then continued on...about a minute later another deer that acted like a buck (head down) but had no visible antlers went through following their trail.

Got a picture of momma and a couple little ones as they walked by my camera...figured I'd try to post the pic for practice. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
This longbow kill is amazing! Everything from hunting all morning to the shot to the awesome buck! Congrats

·
Registered
20 Posts
My preferred areas of hunting have always been the deep woods surrounded by squirrels, turkeys, oaks, and hemlocks. Get in there, find the trails, rubs, and scrapes and sit on them. I've taken deer (usually more than 1) every year of the 10+ years I've been archery hunting. Hunting on top of farms and food plots? Meh, sure it makes things easier but that's never been as enjoyable for me - and I've never always had access to these gravy areas as well. But to me it's always been far more enjoyable for me to go into the trees and stalk my prey.

This year I've sat 20+ consecutive hours this year without seeing a deer wander past, by far a personal record. I must chalk it up to the acorns being nearly completely non-existent, there is just no food out there in the big woods. I'm hunting the same exact areas last year where I probably saw 12-15 deer by this time - absolutely nothing this year with very little sign.

If you aren't hunting within a couple hundred yards of a corn field, clover field, or food plot this year, you are pissing into the wind.

Just my thoughts on what I've seen so far.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I finally got on the board Saturday AM with my inline sneaking along a pine thicket next to an oak flat looking at a 2 year old clear cut. I really feel like I'm finally getting this still hunting thing down halfway decent. Buddy shot a nice 6 pt Saturday evening. We are not seeing a ton of deer in southern Bedford. They seem to be really spread out with sign everywhere but very little super hot food sources to be found. Rubs and scrapes are popping up. The aforementioned 6 pt was shot over a fresh scrape. All said, we've got two buck and two doe down between the 3 of us and I've got my pick of stands heading into the rut, so really looking forward to the next few weekends.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts