The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nothing from the stand this AM. Was back in the woods about a mile in one of my few areas I’ve seen bears while archery hunting. Not this AM. Slowly snuck my way back around 1030. Gave one doe a pass on way out.

Taking my 9yo along with me this evening to watch/learn. No free passes for does this evening.

Good luck all. I am hoping to see a archery bear picture later tonight from someone.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
10 doe/youngsters this morning and turkeys galore.

Do not want to take a doe at this stand, they are the "live bait" for what's coming soon. I have other spots that need a few taken out.

As someone said, it did not feel as cold as the thermometer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Walked about 2.5 miles to a remote spot I expected to be awesome. Nothing. Going to a new property tonight where the owner wants deer shot off so hopefully it's a good one. Good luck to everyone getting out later.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Walked about 2.5 miles to a remote spot I expected to be awesome. Nothing. Going to a new property tonight where the owner wants deer shot off so hopefully it's a good one. Good luck to everyone getting out later.
Story of my 2020 hunting season thus far....

·
Banned
274 Posts
I too walk about 2.5 miles, saw nothing, then two Yahoos hunting tree rates.....who the heck walks 2.5 miles deep to hunt tree rats?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Was in the tree early this morning about an hour before daylight because I had my top shooter buck pass by there yesterday morning and I wasn't there ! Was hoping for the same this morning but no luck ! Didn't see a thing. Headed back out this evening !

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Just got set up. Moved my climber up into the most remote area I hunt on this SGL. I’m on the corner of a 200yd by 200yd clear cut (that wasn’t totally cleared as it still has some old oaks in it) that was cut back in 2000. It’s super thick and usually holds deer. The wind isn’t great and is blowing in nearly 360 degrees. This spot gets hot for the rut as bucks cruise by scent checking the bedding. I just wanted to get the stand back here and ready for Halloween. I think this is probably where I will sit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Finally made it out. Figured I would head up to the mountains figuring there would be less pressure. I was wrong. Lots of guys out . Got here too late to get far back in but in a pretty nice spot where I have seen big bucks before and only one set of boot tracks coming back here that look old . We will see what happens.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wish I could say the same Steel,
Came down my normal trail to my stand and of course right as I turn the corner my 6pt that I’ve been hunting the last few weeks is right there and takes off. I go down the trail towards my stand and a guy is hunting up against the tree next to my stand. So I left to go back to another spot and as I’m walking the trail a really nice 8pt steps out at 50, he sees me and trots off into the woods. Currently just sitting against a tree in a cutout hoping something comes across. I really need to get a climber soon!

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Wish I could say the same Steel,
Came down my normal trail to my stand and of course right as I turn the corner my 6pt that I’ve been hunting the last few weeks is right there and takes off. I go down the trail towards my stand and a guy is hunting up against the tree next to my stand. So I left to go back to another spot and as I’m walking the trail a really nice 8pt steps out at 50, he sees me and trots off into the woods. Currently just sitting against a tree in a cutout hoping something comes across. I really need to get a climber soon!
Well it sounds like you’re in a good area. I have only seen 1 legal buck so far and I have been out 8 times already. Good luck.

·
Registered
18,795 Posts
My evening was much like my morning. When it got dark, the deer decided to come past my stand.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Around 6:30 a large single deer started making its way down the ridge toward me. It made its way into 15 yards broadside in the perfect shooting lane. At 6:44. No idea if it was a large young buck or a nice doe so I put the bow back on the holder. Lit it up with my light. Nice doe. I'll have to move up the ridge about 60 yards.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I decided to get aggressive and try some horn rattling tonight. I was set up on old logging road next to a thick bedding area. I waited till about ten minutes after sunset and grunted and rattled. I immediately heard a deer coming through the thick bedding area. I could see he was a nice 8 point and he slowly started circling me and stopped a few times to rub trees. I could hear him walking after it got to dark and eventually I was able to slip out of there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Slow tonight. My 9yo accompanied me this afternoon. We hunted a field edge double lock-on stand setup where we typically see a dozen deer. One button back came by at 5yds twice and we saw one big doe a couple hundred yards away. Was hoping to fill my doe tag with him in tree. He lasted all 4.5 hours without complaining and couldn’t wait to tell his older brother all the details, so it was still a win.

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Two doe and a decent buck in the distance. I was so distraught with all the vehicles parked while heading up the mountain I forgot my bow and didn’t realize it until I was 50 yards into the woods. Hunted pretty close to the road so I was down and back to my truck in 30 minutes. Not a single vehicle was left on the way back down the mountain. Guess no one got anything and they definitely weren’t hunting areas I like to go because they wouldn’t of made it back to their trucks yet. Made me feel a little bit better about all the pressure today.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts