The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i just picked up a up a new octane pro rest. I've been looking into rests and reading reviews. I know that there were problems with the bristles not lasting but they supposedly fixed that. Can i please get input from people who have experience with this type of rest? I thought that since the new bristles are supposed to be stronger that it would last longer...but now im second guessing myself. Would like input before i get the chance to shoot this weekend. Thank you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i bourght that rest a yr ago and it lasted a few months and the bristles were gone. i went with a drop away qad ultra. if u can spend the extra money i would suggested u get a fall away u will save money in the long run.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I wish I could help you out. I too have a QAD ultra and love it. I simply don't trust those bristles (whisker, Octane), but they may have remedied the problem. Let us know how it works out for you though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I won't use any rest but the QAD. 3yrs now and working great. Also because the Bownazi up in Frackville (Andrews Archery) has every part that you could ever break in stock and will fix it for free while you wait. Nice to know that QAD trust him to work on their rest.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I had a problem initially with an octane hostage pro rest that i have on my back up bow. The bristles were burning out rather quickly. They ended up sending me a new packet of bristles and i havent had that problem since. They changed the bottom brush from a red one to a black one and i honestly havent had a problem since, so they must have fixed it. Ive found it to be a very accurate rest to. There has to be a little play for your arrow to move around inside the brushes, so dont set it up holding the shaft too tight. Make sure your bow is tuned properly and you wont have a problem with it.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I have never really had a positive experience with the hostage or the hostage pro. They are not easily tuned, and have always had trouble with the brushes. When arrows are released, they flex dramatically. This wears on the brushes as the arrow passes through them. I dont know how much they have changed the materials, but they have always had wear problems. You would have been much better off with a whisker biscuit. Super easy to tune, never any wear problems. The QAD as mentioned, is also a great rest. You have the octane now though, so make the best of it. Tuning is super important. Make sure it is properly paper tuned. If not, you will notice the brushes wear much faster.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the whisker biscuit on my bow for two years, then last fall I decided to give the hostage pro a shot. I put it on and shot for about a week. It shot okay groups, however within the first day I noticed the bristles wearing, and in about a week they were completely worn. I put the whisker biscuit back on, don't waist your money on the hoastage

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its been awhile since i first posted about this rest. I wanted to wait to see how it actually worked and lasted. Its been very good so far. I think the new bristles must be better than before. I've been shooting consistantly for the last couple months and its still good out to 40/50.....if i do my part

1 - 10 of 10 Posts