The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading down the last week of July this year, anybody recommend any charters out of Oregon Inlet?
I will be shore fishing as well but want to go out this year also!
Thanks!

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
If you are talking offshore charters, I would highly recommend the Dream Girl out of Oregon Inlet. Captain Jason is a blast to fish with. Late July, mahi action should be good, tuna hit and miss, white marlin bite should be starting to heat up. Blue marlin is always a possibility in July.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Always went on the Fin Galley...always caught fish. Brought in limits even when others didn't.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wexford, you got something on head boats?
Thanks so far guys!
If everyone goes who says they are I'll need a boat for 10 people.

Also what's the best trip to go on down there? Anybody sound fish, inshore or off shore? I'm looking to catch fish we can eat, lol

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
m77lewis said:
If everyone goes who says they are I'll need a boat for 10 people.
Most charters only take 6. We chartered 2 boats offshore a few years ago but that gets expensive for sure.

Also what's the best trip to go on down there? Anybody sound fish, inshore or off shore? I'm looking to catch fish we can eat, lol
I have done them all. If you want meat, and lots of it, offshore is the way to go. Mahi in July will be the main game in town.

Near shore as some call it you will get spanish mackeral and bluefish in July. Both Ok to eat but not great. A sound trip you will be targeting sea trout and maybe flounder. Both great eating but you won't catch tons.

If you want something not quite as expensive as offshore but the potential for lots of great eating fish consider heading down to Hatteras for a deep water wreck fishing trip. Grouper, sea bass, snapper, with outside shots at mahi and wahoo on the troll. Custom Sound Charters and Little Clam out of Hatteras are top notch in that trip. About $1000 for that trip instead of $1900 for a gulf stream trip out of Oregon Inlet. Hatteras Inlet will be a tad cheaper for gulf stream trips.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
This year so far most of the 6 person charter boats are charging between $1400 and $1600. Head boats don't just take your 10 person group. Usually they handle about 50 people, but will often sail with fewer. I've seen the Miss Hatteras go out with as few as 25 people. Inshore boats are usually center consoles between 28 and 35ft and take up to 4 people. The above posts are spot on about meat. Go for dolphin ( mahi-mahi). We were 32 mi offshore last weekend, but they often find them in around 25 to 27 mi. They usually run between 8 and 20 lb, but when we were there a boat brought one in at 64lb!! No boats were doing very well over wrecks yet, but by July the bottom fishing should really pick up, but again, those boats usually only take 4 to 6 people unless it's a head boat. I think the head boats this year are costing about $120 to $150/person for an all day trip. As far as I can remember, there are two head boats out of Hatteras and one or two out of Oregon Inlet.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
m77lewis said:
Heading down the last week of July this year, anybody recommend any charters out of Oregon Inlet?
I will be shore fishing as well but want to go out this year also!
Thanks!
They are still slamming tuna out of OI, which is very unusual for this time of the year. Did you decide on a charter for your trip?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
we are leaving Friday a.m. to be there next week. as soon as I get the email back, I'm booking an inshore fly fishing charter for next Tuesday. can't wait!

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
blackpowder said:
we are leaving Friday a.m. to be there next week. as soon as I get the email back, I'm booking an inshore fly fishing charter for next Tuesday. can't wait!
Do you plan on using Sarah and the Fly Girl out of OI? She is the fly fishing queen of the outer banks.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
dpms said:
blackpowder said:
Do you plan on using Sarah and the Fly Girl out of OI? She is the fly fishing queen of the outer banks.
Beat me too it. I was gonna suggest the same thing.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
dpms said:
blackpowder said:
we are leaving Friday a.m. to be there next week. as soon as I get the email back, I'm booking an inshore fly fishing charter for next Tuesday. can't wait! [/quote

didn't work out. trying to get people together is always a problem. I see she has afternoon openings next week, I will stop down and see her when I get there.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
blackpowder said:
dpms said:
blackpowder said:
we are leaving Friday a.m. to be there next week. as soon as I get the email back, I'm booking an inshore fly fishing charter for next Tuesday. can't wait! [/quote

didn't work out. trying to get people together is always a problem. I see she has afternoon openings next week, I will stop down and see her when I get there.
The Flat Out run by Brian Horsely is another to check out. He specializes in fly fishing and runs out of OI as well.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I talked to him, fly girl and joey van dyke a few months ago. I ended up booking with joey Tuesday night only to find out after I sent the deposit, he was out of Hatteras. had to cancel, because nobody wanted to drive 2 hours to go. I will hit the OI when I get there and hook up with someone.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
blackpowder said:
I talked to him, fly girl and joey van dyke a few months ago. I ended up booking with joey Tuesday night only to find out after I sent the deposit, he was out of Hatteras. had to cancel, because nobody wanted to drive 2 hours to go. I will hit the OI when I get there and hook up with someone.
I talked to Van Dyke too this spring. I was looking for a bowfishing trip out of Oregon Inlet. He said it was no problem and almost decided to give him a go but found out he fishes out of Hatteras. He never mentioned he was out of Hatteras when I talked to him.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
same here, nothing on his website either. I knew as soon as he sent me the contact info, the others wouldn't be up for it. he really should let folks know that up front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts