The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TenPoint 6 PT GT Flex, my first crossbow. Two observations I have is that, at 20 yds, it is darn fast. The second one is that it is also darn noisy. A noticable "clack" occurs upon release, some of which I attribute to the aluminum arrows. Would switching to Carbon arrows lessen the noise? TenPoint recommends a 22/64 carbon shaft with a weight of 320 grains (plus the field point or broadhead). The aluminum arrows are the 2219 XX75's that came with the bow.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I am not a crossbow shooter, strictly longbow and conpound. However, is there any way you can identify where the noise is coming from? If so, then maybe you could take some steps to eliminate or deaden the sound. From the description - it sounds as if its mechanical so perhaps the trigger is making the noise or maybe the fletching hitting on something as it goes down the rail?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
That "clack" is the trigger latch breaking.....not breaking really ..but the noise of it releasing. It is normal. Some crossbows do it worse than others. A GT Flex has 175 lbs resting on the latch.
Switching to carbons probably won't help much.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured. Do you concur with TenPoint's arrow selection?

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Most crossbows are loud with few exceptions. The Horton Vision being one.

Not too much you can do to quiet them down so shot selection is paramount.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I have been using 10 point carbons for 4 seasons now in my Profusion,with 100 gr spitfires, 420 gr arrow. What do you build and recommend?

·
Registered
149 Posts
this is my first year with a cross bow the arrows that came with my ten point kit fly true what is the differance in the ones you make that makes them better always looking to improve my equipment

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
DadHuntsNow said:
I have been using 10 point carbons for 4 seasons now in my Profusion,with 100 gr spitfires, 420 gr arrow. What do you build and recommend?
For the Ten Points we are building a Gold Tip Laser II with brass inserts and 4 inch vanes. I want to test the Victory in them, as we have been having great results with them in the Parkers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts