The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

221 - 240 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
I never use split shot or swivels of any kind. I think they hamper the action and hurt strike detection.
Not to take this even further off topic, but how do you deal with line twist without a swivel - especially with a spinner? I've tried a few times, but I've always ended up with a mess. I've ended up going with a small barrel swivel to a fluro leader ... downside is like you said less sensitivity and two more knots to potentially screw up ...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Not to take this even further off topic, but how do you deal with line twist without a swivel - especially with a spinner? I've tried a few times, but I've always ended up with a mess. I've ended up going with a small barrel swivel to a fluro leader ... downside is like you said less sensitivity and two more knots to potentially screw up ...
Also, swivels can damage the rod guides if reeled through them.

Every so often, I cut off the spinner and let my line play out downstream to take some of the kinks out.

Sometimes the prime offender in line twist is the spinner itself. Sometimes the eye gets bent or something happens that causes line twist. If straightening the spinner doesn’t work, try replacing it with a new spinner.

I also change the line on the reels somewhat frequently. Some people never do that. There’s someone on this board that swears by line conditioner. I’ve never tried it.

Reactions: GSP66

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,558 Posts
Another thing to try to help eliminate line twist.
After I cast I close the bail manually, I never crank it closed. Every so many cast I'll leave 5 to 6 feet of line out and hold rod up
and let lure un wind. Line twist is inevitable when casting 200 or more times but the little things do help prevent twist to a degree.

·
Registered
10,729 Posts
What pound test do you guys use ? Usually I will use 4 but sometimes I will use 6 pound test . I know I am in the minority .

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use 6# mainline , with a 4# leader. I fish 99% threading minnows.

I haven’t made it out this year, due to family obligations. My uncle and cousin did pretty good first weekend. Small streams didn’t produce too many, big streams did.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
And there in lies the problem Eddie. Really becomes a huge turn off to kids when the silver platter is pulled away from the table. Why bother doing something hard when someone is willing to make it so easy for you. MY days are 'feel good' days but the long term effect is questionable at best.
I think what he was referring to was the smiling kids from a week ago were left home this past weekend so daddy could just fish. Which I doubt happens too often unless it's miserable weather or real young kids. It ain't any harder or easier to catch trout on MY day than it is the Opener with exception of some overly crowded areas.
I prevent it by flyfishing 😄😉

·
Registered
10,729 Posts
Surprised that some of you guys use 6 lb. mono . Always thought that was frowned upon when it comes to trout fishing . I personally always liked using heavier line such as 6 lb for trout but felt like I was breaking some kind of rule .

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Surprised that some of you guys use 6 lb. mono. Always thought that was frowned upon when it comes to trout fishing. I personally always liked using heavier line such as 6 lb for trout but felt like I was breaking some kind of rule .
I used to use only 4 lb. but found my catch rate didn’t drop when I used 6 lb.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Surprised that some of you guys use 6 lb. mono . Always thought that was frowned upon when it comes to trout fishing . I personally always liked using heavier line such as 6 lb for trout but felt like I was breaking some kind of rule .
I always used 6lb Stren because even though 95% of my fishing was for trout, I only had one rod & reel as a kid so I hedged my bets a bit for the farm pond bass and occasional lakes and Delaware River fishing I did.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
So, is anyone actually out fishing? I am out of the box until Monday.
Went out with the fly rod Sunday afternoon for a bit and caught a couple nice rainbows from a hole that looked like it had been hit pretty hard. Got out for about an hour yesterday afternoon and worked a really good looking hole that probably got hit hard on Saturday and Sunday morning for a little while. Didn't get anything out of if, but they are trout in there, there has to be. I'll get back in there and find the right fly and it will be game on :)

·
20,146 Posts
There are many brands of 6 lb test that line right up with your typical 4 lb test. Stren magnathin just to name one but if you do a little research there's six or seven different 6 lb brands that are the diameter of 4 lb and 4 lb that's the diameter of 2 lb. You have to pay a couple extra dollars for it but to me it's well worth it. I've been using strand magnathin for as long as I can remember now. It's a very good product with minimal line twist and stretch.

·
20,146 Posts
I'm late to the party but I wanted to add my two cents about the lack of success by a lot of guys on the opener. Temperature does play a significant factor in how trout react on a day-to-day basis this time of year. It's not so much what the temperature is that particular day but what the temperature, and more so the night time temperature, was the days leading up to that day. In the case of last week's opener we had late spring like weather for an entire week before Friday of the opener. 60s and 70s with 50° nights and trout streams ranged into the optimal temperature range for fishing in a bunch of cases. Most streams crested 50° which is pretty unusual for late March and early april. If anybody visited a wild trout stream late that week they experienced some pretty good action like I did. A major cold front came in on Wednesday evening and plummeted temperatures which did the same to streams. Anytime a trout experiences a 10 to 12° shift downward in water temperatures over a 48 hour period it's going to be pretty rare that you find an active fish. Saturday was an extremely high pressure very cool day. About the worst possible trout fishing conditions you could ever draw up. In fact, the only thing that would be worse is if it would have been windy like on friday. Of course you are going to see some exceptions where guys are catching fish because when you have 600,000 fishermen out on streams there are going to be some people that are successful regardless and those people most likely are going to post it all over the Internet for everyone to see. It gives the impression that there are actually decent numbers of guys catching fish and certain streams are fishing better than others but in reality they are the extreme exception to the rule and because they're jamming it down your throat on the internet it gives the impression that more people are having success. The large portion of people out on Saturday did not do very well until stream temperatures started to climb upwards which doesn't usually happen until 10:00 a.m. following a cold night. If you fished into the afternoon on Saturday you may have gotten into some better fishing. But the moral of the story is paying attention to stream temperatures several days before you are planning to go out is a critical step in catching more trout the day you actually go out. If you have a major drop in air temperature the same is going to happen to water and the likelihood of you having a successful outing meeting your expectations is going to be seriously diminished. but you know what they say! A day efficient is better than a day of work any day.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Saw 6 Golden Rainbows stocked today. a pleasant site. For many years they only stocked those preseason until a few of us complainers said many of those get caught out MY day and few left for adults. The PFBC must have heard our voices because now they hold some back for inseason stockings. Maybe a few people with authority read this forum. I didn't catch any of those today but caught 10 normal size instead. Policies and laws in this country would never change if nobody complained about the current ones.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,558 Posts
The only problem with the Goldens is how visible they are and the holes holding them draw quite a crowd.
Myself I'll take a nice Brown or Brook Trout any day of the week over the Golden.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The only problem with the Goldens is how visible they are and the holes holding them draw quite a crowd.
Myself I'll take a nice Brown or Brook Trout any day of the week over the Golden.
I agree, especially a wild brown or brook trout. It’s been my experience that golden rainbows are pretty gullible.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yeah, there was one that moved and stationed itself in front of me and a guy kept throwing over me to try and catch it. One guy hooked one but lost it.

221 - 240 of 287 Posts