The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you recommend a book? I am always feeling lost at what I am looking at. It would be nice to have something with color pictures to help me identify oaks or other hunting positive trees.

Any good books that you guys use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
The Audubon Society Guide to Trees Eastern Region

Identify Trees and Shrubs by Their Leaves by Edward Knobel

Two books I have and use
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,449 Posts
threeinchmag said:
:eek:What's that?


It's a good book.
the book is fine i just couldnt figure out why you would need a book to tell what an oak looked like. then i thought and now ive got it figured out he probably wants to tell one type of oak from another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,829 Posts
turkey4life said:
threeinchmag said:
:eek:What's that?


It's a good book.
the book is fine i just couldnt figure out why you would need a book to tell what an oak looked like. then i thought and now ive got it figured out he probably wants to tell one type of oak from another.
You purty schmart there, Grasshopper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,449 Posts
Dutch said:
turkey4life said:
threeinchmag said:
:eek:What's that?


It's a good book.
the book is fine i just couldnt figure out why you would need a book to tell what an oak looked like. then i thought and now ive got it figured out he probably wants to tell one type of oak from another.
You purty schmart there, Grasshopper.
yes unless he realy doesnt know what an oak tree looks like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,273 Posts
Take dendrology at Penn State... It worked for me!

However I like the Peterson Field Guide Series. It doesn't have pictures, but paintings and drawings. If you aren't quite as technical, the paintings may be less helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I do what I an oak tree looks. What I don;t know is the difference between red,white,swamp, etc..

Thanks for the replies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,229 Posts
The audobon field guide is good.

It has a picture of the bark, with a leaf held over it. Pictures are very clear and good. I got mine at Cabelas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,583 Posts
sch Co said:
Yes, I do what I an oak tree looks. What I don;t know is the difference between red,white,swamp, etc..

Thanks for the replies
Well to start the leaf shapes are quite different, growth habit, shape, size, bark color and texture, fruit size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
A good one is William Harlow's "Trees of the Eastern U.S. and Canada". If it is still in print, it is a small field guide of 288 pages. Lots for photos of leaves, twigs, bark, flowers and fruit. Also has a lot of tree uses, folk uses and trivia.

A faily basic one, but you can usually get it for free from your local service forester (at least in NY) is "Important Trees of the Eastern United States". Has drawings rather than photos, but the price is right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,030 Posts
sch Co said:
Can you recommend a book? I am always feeling lost at what I am looking at. It would be nice to have something with color pictures to help me identify oaks or other hunting positive trees.

Any good books that you guys use?
I'll second The Audubon Society Guide to Trees Eastern Region.

Otherwise, you could just go to yahoo search, go to images and type in the tree your looking for.

A simple tip to tell the difference between Red and White Oak is to look at the leaves. White Oak leaves will be round lobed. Red Oak leaves will be larger and have round lobes but have a little sticker at the end of each lobe. Also, White Oak acorns are about half the size as Red Oak acorns.

If you know what a shagbark Hickory looks like, a White Oak will closely resemble it's bark many times.

To tell the difference between Red Oak and Black Oak, look at the bark near the base of the tree. Red Oaks bark will be uniform from the base all the way up the tree. Black Oak will have 'alligator' bark near the base of the tree then will resemble Red Oak further up.

Pin Oaks and Scarlet Oaks will have thinner lobes on their leaves and the Lobes will cut in close to the stem. Also, they will have many more small branches all the way up the tree.


Once you get the hang of it, it will be second nature telling the difference between oaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,273 Posts
Actually a chestnut oak's leaves don't look much like a chestnut. I prefer the other common name for chestnut oaks, the rock oak... Fits the tree better, as most rock oaks are found on rocky hillsides... Now if they called sawtooth oak chestnut oak, they'd have given it an accurate name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,330 Posts
You forgot the other name basket oak.
Those leaves look more like a chestnut then an oak.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top