The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hunted both NY and PA for grouse? From my house, Tioga SF and Cortland/Venango Counties in NY are about the same distance. How do they compare? Does NY do habitat work on their Wildlife Management areas?
What is the habitat up there like? Are they cutting, burning, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can't comment on Cortland County, as I've only fished there. Upstate NY has the same problem as PA, though, in that the area is undergoing a decrease in grouse populations. On state forests, the tendency is to cut, if at all, sections of continuous pine forest in order to stimulate production of early succession forests (I'm thinking of state forests directly south of the Finger Lakes, in particular). The grouse are definitely there, but, as in PA, not in the numbers they were during the late 1970s. Private property might prove more fruitful, depending on the activities of the landowner, of course.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
jamesh,
I do not hunt NY any more will not purchase a NY hunting license, I support no state with Unconstitutional Gun Control laws, suggest you do the same.
If all us sportsman did the same, NY would remove the UC Gun Control laws, just because of the massive money loss to the state.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Huntee a few times in NY. I would say its the same IMO.

BUT

Sunday hunting sure is a plus!!

PA should wake up and smell the coffee!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Huntee a few times in NY. I would say its the same IMO.

BUT

Sunday hunting sure is a plus!!

PA should wake up and smell the coffee!

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Pine-Creek said:
jamesh,
I do not hunt NY any more will not purchase a NY hunting license, I support no state with Unconstitutional Gun Control laws, suggest you do the same.
If all us sportsman did the same, NY would remove the UC Gun Control laws, just because of the massive money loss to the state.
Pine Creek/Dave
I would strongly suspect that the folks pushing for and passing the strict gun laws in New York are extremely pleased that some hunters are staying away because of those laws. Probably makes those folks think they should try pass even more restrictve laws and try to eliminate hunting all together.

Just as an FYI . . . The most current information I could find on New York's sporting license sales shows that their gross sales totaled $33,451,311 of which $645,830 was for non-resident small game (a whopping 1.93%). I'm not sure what massive money loss New York would suffer by grouse hunters staying away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts