The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the catch with the ads saying 20k and you can have 10 acres of land with 100' of lake front??? Anyone ever follow up on those ads?

·
Registered
722 Posts
lots of small lakes in ny and high taxes.A freind of mine bought a 200 acre farm in westrn ny for $140,000 but his taxes are over $15,000

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Keep the acreage small. Keep the camp basic, and its not too bad. Western NY has some deer.Do your research, there are big paper companies and such in southwest NY that own thousands of acres. Most of them have a yearly fee that allows you to hunt. Some of them have no fee. Find yourself a little spot near one of those, and you are all set. Western NY has some great small game and turkey hunting too.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
just keep in mine that if a camp is to far away you might not be able to use is much as you would like, alot of factors could come into play.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
I know a few that bought them. They say for a nice get away place its ok. But the hunting in those areas is very poor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Back sometime in the late 1990's we made an appointment to see some great properties offered by one of those companies. We drove 11 hours to meet one of their rep's and the best they had to show was 40 acres of dead pines. We were never shown the land we drove so far to view. Years later we bought 50 acres of remote forest surrounded by N.Y. State land much farther south (Cattaraugus Co.)and the game was great there. We sold that land because the taxes were too high. The hunting in the Southern Tier area was great in the 2000's.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hunting is much better in the Southern Tier, but land values have skyrocketed in recent years due to gas speculation. You won't find those bargains close to Pa.

·
Super Moderator
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main use would be weekend getaways. I already have my own place for hunting.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
For a Getaway you can't go wrong. You are close enough in a day for Lake Erie, Lake Chautaugua, Cuba lake. etc for fishing and water sports. Lots of neat things around for kids, nice parks, etc. Alot of history in the "Enchanted Mountains" as they call them. Just keep the acreage small and the taxes are fine. Resist the urge to renovate an old place totally, if you make it like new, the taxes will go up. Enjoy it for what it is, don't transfer it into a mini-home.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Steuben County has great deer, right over the border, but taxes will smoke ya. Governor is trying to pass law to make "camp" taxes as high as a permanent residence. NYS taxes drove me to PA.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Samuel
landandcamps.com is the big one. They are called Christmas and Associates. Hear most are without electricity hook ups.
They catch my eye all the time.
Dave

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've been looking at them myself. I'm looking for something in the Adirondack's with waterfront to use as a base camp for canoeing.

I mainly check landandcamps.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
We bought 6 acres in Andover, Ny. which is in Alleghany county Ny. just a couple of miles west of Stueban county line. We paid $9k for it. Three 4th of July ago we rented a D5 dozer and cut in a driveway, a building pad and a small pond for $580. My two brothers that run heavy equiptment ran the dozer. We have yet to build a camp on it because of me loosing my job of 18+ yrs but I'm back to work now and the itch to build is getting bad. Our taxes so far have been about $175 a yr just on the ground.

Here's the view from the building pad.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Now see 6 acres for $9,000 Is what I'm talking about !! People in PA seam to want way more for land than that. I can't wait to see what ya build there

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
Tracker said:
I've been looking at them myself. I'm looking for something in the Adirondack's with waterfront to use as a base camp for canoeing.

I wouldn't want to own anything in the Adirondcaks on lake front. The over-regulation of the APA will ruin the experience for you.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
SuperX2Nut said:
Tracker said:

I wouldn't want to own anything in the Adirondcaks on lake front. The over-regulation of the APA will ruin the experience for you.
What is the APA?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
octagon said:
Now see 6 acres for $9,000 Is what I'm talking about !! People in PA seam to want way more for land than that. I can't wait to see what ya build there
Yeah Octagon that's why we made the purchase. Great thing is it's 12 miles from northern Potter. They have a couple lots left. One is like 4.8 acres for $8k and the other is 13 +/- acres with a good mountain stream running through it and electric runs across the property and is probably 45% wooded with a few old growth hemlocks bordering the stream. I think it could be had for probably $24k. They are asking $27k for it but it's been for sale a long time.

As far as what we may build... I'm leaning towards a large shed type structure for now . Prob be off the grid and use gas lights, porta-potty, solar shower and maybe a generator if needed (the wife and daughter need power). Just until we get the funds to build & pay the taxes on a nice capecod, board & batten, with a loft and 8' porch the full length of the front to enjoy our views. Hoping to either live there or atleast retire there if that ever happens.

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
Tracker said:
SuperX2Nut said:
Tracker said:

What is the APA?

The APA is the Adirondack Park Agency. It is a governing body over the park and imposes many restrictions as to what folks can do in the Adirondacks. For example, cutting of trees on ones property is subject to regulation by the APA.

Pretty much it boils down to a bunch of big wigs from Albany who visit the Adirondacks, but don't live there, telling the folks who live there what to do. The APA has practically killed any economic activity in the Adirondacks, except for tourism.

The Adirondacks and APA should be a prime example of why an area's residents should never rely on tourist money or cater to tourist needs, because before they know it, the tourist think they own the place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts