The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regular deer opener starts Saturday in neighboring New York. Living so close always gave me two opening days. I'm not a bear hunter despite living in prime bear country.

Anyone else heading to NY. Good luck to those going. FT

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes, heading to my camp in 9P, Allegany county. Usually knock a couple down, can't wait to hunt with a rifle again!:laugh:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Buddy n I in 9x (wellsville)right now finishing up bow season then stayin thru Sunday for rifle....looks like the gamut of weather...decent today,high of 68 tomorrow,rain showers sat and snow on Sunday. Saw zip so far this am....

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Falling Temps

Daybreak temps in the 60's and down to the 30's by night fall with rain. I guess I'll need the entire wardrobe......marvelous. Good luck! FT :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I hunted as a guest at a camp in chenango county on state land Wed - Sunday. On wed we had 2 hunters using xbows, i saw a doe at dark too far to shoot. Thursday we had 3 guys hunting, I shot a 3 point at 2:30. One hunter saw 4 doe at dark to far to shoot. Two hunters friday saw nothing. 7 hunters saturday for gun season. 5 saw nothing, one missed a spike and saw 3 doe, the other saw 2 doe. Sunday had 5 hunters, hunted till 10, i saw a deer, others nothing.

This area had a real big kill off three winters ago and numbers are low. The weather didnt help as it was 70 saturday and 25 sunday with gusty wind. Overnite we had 5 inches of snow. I heard 6 shots sunday total. Very few on saturday, maybe 8 within a the 4 mile × 2 mile tract. Very few hunters. 5 guys saturday never saw anyone.

It sure makes deer camp nice when archery ends and gun starts the next morning. Even better is the choice to hunt on Sunday!

Good time had by all even with the deer sightings being low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts