The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story begins in 2012, I purchased a camp with 2 acres in Ny adjoining state forest. I was lucky enough to buy 2 wooded acres adjoining the camp in 2016 with the plans of turning it into a food/tree plot. I took a few pictures along the way and so did my trail cameras. I will start with this first picture I took as we where clearing the trees.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Sweet picture! Thanks for sharing.

You guys running Stihl saws? How much lime did that plot need :nerd:??

Looks like some pretty heavy timber in the pic....how close is the plot to any ag fields?

Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
Clearing without machines is tough work. What are you planning on planting?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run a husqvarna 562xp and yes there is enough wood stacked around the cabin for year's n year's to come.
This plot was started in 2016, I had a soil test done. The ph was 5.1 phosphorus and potassium was about as low as you can get. We applied 1700 pounds of lime and 400 pounds of 18 18 18 fertilizer as a start for the first year. I knew this wasn't enough but lime and gold are about the same price in Ny. Through the summer of 2016 I used round up on all the regrowth coming off the fresh cut stumps this is a very important part dead roots break alot easier than live roots. August of 2016, We planted a variation of Paul knox's mix only thing being different is I substitute soybean for the peas. The work here was all completed by a chainsaw, four wheeler and a spring tooth harrow. The closest ag fields are about a mile away. I'll include a few pics here that I have from the fall of 2016. I wasn't expecting much and I am thankful that rye grain will grow anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Looks like a great start! Interested in seeing the progress going forward. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ng270 and others for your comments and questions. Today it has been exactly 2 year to the day since the first tree was cut. This spring we added another 3,000 pounds of lime, 6 apple trees, 4 pear trees and a few chestnuts. Planted a small patch of chickory, durana, ladino and patriot clover at one end.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How's that saying go, "If you build it they will come," well they did. I did half of the plot in a brassicas mix and half in rye grain. Both were planted on August 12th, which is a bit early for the rye ( I like the 1st week of September) but when your that far from home what are ya going to do. I put up an exclusion fence in the brassicas and they made it to about 24" high inside the fence. I included a few trail camera pictures in this post to give you a better look at the plot.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
Nice Pics and the plots look very nice. One thing that I have done with some plantings is to put up an solar electric fence to keep the deer out for a few weeks to allow it to get going. Works nice for fall plantings like Brassicas or when planting soybeans in the Spring.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
looks good, your progress ,maybe slow for you, but the improvements shows all the hard work you and your help did there, you should be proud of your accomplishments .keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
4700lbs of lime? holy ##[email protected] I,ve been wanting to do the same here in Pa. on a small wooded area... but I can't get my atv back there.. that means Id had to back pack all that lime and fertilizer in.... uggggghhhh I haven't did a soil test yet planning on doing that in the spring nice work you guys..

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
my dad and I have a small plot below our cabin ,we never did a ph test ,but dad just harrows the old stuff under after he sprays it ,then we put pelletized lime and 10-10-10 fertilizer on it ,and it always comes up real nice. the deer keep it trimmed down and always in it, that and our small apple orchard

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
my dad and I have a small plot below our cabin ,we never did a ph test ,but dad just harrows the old stuff under after he sprays it ,then we put pelletized lime and 10-10-10 fertilizer on it ,and it always comes up real nice. the deer keep it trimmed down and always in it, that and our small apple orchard
I have found that you don't have to get the ground perfect to have a suitable food plot. I think that as long as you get it decent then you are ok.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree it doesn't need to be perfect. Close enough probably is good enough. Growing a little food to give back to the deer is not the same thing as farming and trying to maximize your bushels per acre.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts