The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Every time he invokes the name of Fred Bear I want to...

·
Banned
979 Posts
Not this Tool bag again! Hate is an understatement for this man! He is a Blackeye for all hunters! For all the good he does the negative really outshines the rest!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
One of the first things you are advised of when hunting Alaska is the vast differences in regulations pertaining to what area you hunt. It is made clear when you buy your license and tags that it is your responsibility to read the regs. and understand them. I remember my first trip there, watching a gorgeous bull moose cross just 75 yards from me, finger on the trigger, and not shooting. Antlers had to be a certain width, and I could not be sure. The penalties and consequences far outweighed the gamble. To a guy like Ted, the consequence is writing a check and moving along. There is a little good in all men, but he continually gives sportsmen a black eye, then pays the tab. Maybe this will cause some of his flock to rethink their devotion.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
If PA had this law, I wonder how many of us would be prosecuted?

I don't like Ted one bit, but this law, for whatever reason, seems a bit over the top.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Theres nothing over the top about it and its how it should be everywhere. Be responsible for your shooting is the message here.

Wonder how you would feel if you had access to two giant bucks and I came in, shot one, didnt recover it then shot the other.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
When I shoot and dont recover an animal, that tag is done for the season regardless of the law.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They probably had Nugent in mind when they passed the law! The law was in place before Nugent got to Alaska. The statement that Nugent dedicated his life to ethical hunting is a real riot.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
jlh42581 said:
When I shoot and dont recover an animal, that tag is done for the season regardless of the law.
Hit a buck in 2006. Recovered it the day before rifle season. Tagged it, and I was done. Wasn't going to attempt buck hunting after I hit him.

Wonder what the reaction would be here if the PGC made a regulation like that? AR's and HR complaints would take a backseat REAL quick. LOL

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
I would have done the same thing I have done illegal things in the past they just aren't highlighted like someone in the spot light it's an over the top law that any honest man could have got wrong but because of who it is people have to jump all over it. I just hope everyone beating Ted down has always walked the straight and narrow.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Stroupy said:
I would have done the same thing I have done illegal things in the past they just aren't highlighted like someone in the spot light it's an over the top law that any honest man could have got wrong but because of who it is people have to jump all over it. I just hope everyone beating Ted down has always walked the straight and narrow.
Just because in your opinion it is an "over the top law" doesn't change the fact that it is the law. Whether not we agree with the law does not exempt us from being required to follow it. And it's been established that ignorance of the law is not a legal excuse, not just in hunting situations. If society operated in a manner where people could judge for themselves whether or not a law is over-the-top, it would quickly degrade into anarchy.

If you ever hunt Africa, in most places, perhaps all places, if you shoot at an animal and draw one drop of blood, you pay the Trophy Fee for that animal. Period.

So in my opinion, not being allowed to hunt on Sunday is over-the-top, and I'm going to shoot the big buck you've been hunting all year on Sunday. Or would you consider me a poacher?

While Ted Nugent has a lot of opinions that hunters agree with, it doesn't change the fact that he seeks out controversy and attention in order to make himself richer.

And the last time I checked, he's never claimed to hold degrees in veterinary medicine or animal biology, to claim that the bear did not die is not accurate. It "probably" did not die, but possibly he made a small cut in an artery that opened more when they "looked for it", and the bear died several hundred yards and several hours later. You just don't know. But "probably" did not die is not the same is "it did not die for sure". That's part of the reason behind the law. Even with a 2 percent chance of dying, Alaska considers it "dead".

And it doesn't change the fact that he had an illegal bear kill in Alaska. It is ALWAYS the responsibility of the hunter to know and understand the regulations in the locale in which he is hunting. No different than if he put out 50 pounds of jelly doughnuts and killed a bear in PA. Legal is legal. Illegal is not.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I would hope common sense would come into play concerning this law. Like him or not, it sounds like a very minimal grazing wound and the hounds of prosecutorial procedure couldnt wait to put a nail in Ted's coffin.

Pass a law like this here and you would certainly see a whole new criminal class created. I think you need to really set definative standards on what "marginally injured" is. Trailing wounded game and giving your best attempt at a failed recovery attempt should never be penalized.

This country goes way too far in restrictions on what it's citizens can or cannot do. The sad part is they have actually convinced the majority of americans that we need to be restricted due to the actions of a few.

But I digress too far....

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I wondered how long it would be until you ran to your hero's defense. Nugent walking the straight an narrow, now that is a hoot.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
DethFrumAbuv said:
Stroupy said:
Just because in your opinion it is an "over the top law" doesn't change the fact that it is the law. Whether not we agree with the law does not exempt us from being required to follow it. And it's been established that ignorance of the law is not a legal excuse, not just in hunting situations. If society operated in a manner where people could judge for themselves whether or not a law is over-the-top, it would quickly degrade into anarchy.

If you ever hunt Africa, in most places, perhaps all places, if you shoot at an animal and draw one drop of blood, you pay the Trophy Fee for that animal. Period.

So in my opinion, not being allowed to hunt on Sunday is over-the-top, and I'm going to shoot the big buck you've been hunting all year on Sunday. Or would you consider me a poacher?

While Ted Nugent has a lot of opinions that hunters agree with, it doesn't change the fact that he seeks out controversy and attention in order to make himself richer.

And the last time I checked, he's never claimed to hold degrees in veterinary medicine or animal biology, to claim that the bear did not die is not accurate. It "probably" did not die, but possibly he made a small cut in an artery that opened more when they "looked for it", and the bear died several hundred yards and several hours later. You just don't know. But "probably" did not die is not the same is "it did not die for sure". That's part of the reason behind the law. Even with a 2 percent chance of dying, Alaska considers it "dead".

And it doesn't change the fact that he had an illegal bear kill in Alaska. It is ALWAYS the responsibility of the hunter to know and understand the regulations in the locale in which he is hunting. No different than if he put out 50 pounds of jelly doughnuts and killed a bear in PA. Legal is legal. Illegal is not.
It's a bow and arrow if there is no blood on the ground and none on the arrow I am pretty sure the bear is going to make it. It's a law that would make me not want to hunt there. It is Ted's job to understand the regs he screwed up.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
John S said:
I wondered how long it would be until you ran to your hero's defense. Nugent walking the straight an narrow, now that is a hoot.
No this latest incident has me getting my pitchfork out and I am taking it to get it sharpened who's with me for a witch hunt?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
jlh42581 said:
KUDOS to you
---but in this state your probably one of the few.

Nugent broke a law and paid the fine--if it were your run of the mill common hunter, chance are nobody but that hunter, the guide(if there was one) and the bear, would of know what happen and this thread would of never been started. IMO--There's more to worry about concerning Pa hunting than someone breaking a game law in Alaska.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If the guide was an ethical guide, he would not allow the hunter to shoot at another bear.

In regard to PA hunting, there are hunters in PA who have a serious man-crush on Ted Nugent, so his behavior affects hunting everywhere. His actions also provide fodder to the antis. I agree with some of his ideas on guns and hunting, but I don't agree with all of them, and his approach is just a means to stay in the news (sort of the Lindsay Lohan approach) in order to make money off of hunters in PA and elsewhere.

Do you think they are really stupid enough to put footage of illegal activities into their TV show? No, it was a calculated move to put his name in the news, just like Lindsay, "any news" is "good news". Get a DUI? Lindsay is on the cover of People. Illegally kill a bear, Ted is in the papers and in hunting magazines.

It was a calculated business decision. He can just pay the fine and hunt elsewhere. They may have neglected their duties as hunters during the initial incident and been ignorant of the law, but to edit it into a TV show at some point someone said, hey man, that's illegal. Then the accountants did the math and said pay the fine and we'll make millions by keeping our face in the papers.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Stroupy said:
DethFrumAbuv said:
Stroupy said:

It's a bow and arrow if there is no blood on the ground and none on the arrow I am pretty sure the bear is going to make it. It's a law that would make me not want to hunt there. It is Ted's job to understand the regs he screwed up.
There WAS blood Stroupy. Nuge admits that

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
went back and see that there was blood I saw the part of the no blood trail my bad still a dumb law

1 - 20 of 124 Posts