The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEWTOWN, Connecticut-Whether you're a hunter, target shooter, own a firearm for self protection or don't own a firearm at all, the National Shooting Sports Foundation asks you to be informed about AR-15-style rifles.

These rifles are often mislabeled "assault rifles" or "assault weapons." They are neither.

Nevertheless, many hunters and shooters and the general public confuse AR-15-style rifles, which are civilian sporting rifles, with military rifles because they look similar to each other.

"Groups wanting to ban AR-15-style rifles have for years purposely spread misinformation about these firearms to aid their cause," said Steve Sanetti, president of NSSF. "We must work harder to help protect the right of hunters and sports shooters to own the firearms of their choice, including semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns, for lawful purposes. Gun owners everywhere can help correct the misinformed, whether it's a friend, fellow hunter, elected official or the media. NSSF is assisting this nationwide campaign by issuing the Modern Sporting Rifle Fact Card as a resource."

Use the fact card for your own reference, pass it on to individuals or groups, or post the information on blogs and Web and social media sites.

The pocket-size fact card is available to read or download as a pdf at http://www.nssf.org/msr.

Here are the facts:

-AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today's modern sporting rifle.

-The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for Armalite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

-AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

-If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an "assault weapon," he or she either supports banning these firearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. "Assault weapon" is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.

-AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

-Versions of modern sporting rifles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail firearm purchasers.

-Since the 19th century, civilian sporting rifles have evolved from their military predecessors. The modern sporting rifle simply follows that tradition.

-These rifles' accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and versatility serve target shooters and hunters well. They are true all-weather firearms.

-Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40, and .45 are available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.

-These rifles are used for many different types of hunting, from varmint to big game. And they're used for target shooting in the national matches.

-AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber and in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting cartridges like the 30-06 Springfield and .300 Win. Mag.

-The AR-15 platform is modular. Owners like being able to affix different "uppers" (the barrel and chamber) to the "lower" (the grip, stock).

-And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!

About NSSF

The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 4,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen's organizations and publishers. For more information, log on to http://www.nssf.org.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Who cares though since they aren't legal for big game in PA?

Many of us care, because this thread is about the media and anti-gunners constantly twisting and spinning the facts to demonize a class of firearms.

Therefore, this thread will only continue to stick to the facts and not be derailed by comments not germane to <u>that</u> discussion.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
not all firearm enthusiasts hunt moose. Banning the AR15 would be devastating to sporting arms. There may be a day when we CAN hunt with semi's....and when that day comes I'd rather have an AR than any other semi-auto out there.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
jayd4wg said:
not all firearm enthusiasts hunt moose. Banning the AR15 would be devastating to sporting arms. There may be a day when we CAN hunt with semi's....and when that day comes I'd rather have an AR than any other semi-auto out there.

I don't think they should be banned. I just think in PA it is kind of a non issue.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
for now
like I said...someday we may see semi's in the legal firearms list, and I'd like to be able to use an AR if the time came.

I seem to remember reading about a bunch of horsemen complaining about automobiles about a hundred years ago...

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
jayd4wg said:
for now
like I said...someday we may see semi's in the legal firearms list, and I'd like to be able to use an AR if the time came.

I seem to remember reading about a bunch of horsemen complaining about automobiles about a hundred years ago...

True, but I still prefer my horse to my truck.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Personally having enough experience with AR shooters at ranges if they get their toys taken away then that is fine by me. Most of the AR owners only take them out to see what they can blow up at the range. They do have a place in this world but in the hands of any bozo on the street is not the proper place. The weapon was designed for military and law enforcement purposes and that is where they belong. I also understand that there are various shooting competitions where they are legal to shoot also but for the average Joe to be able to head over to the local gun shop buy an AR type weapon and the go shoot the crap out of his local range is obsured. You guys can go ahead and start ripping me for my stand on AR's but I saw it frist hand while running a sportsman club for four years and another four years as a Marine and I have no respect for that weapon in the hand of the public. Leave the military keep their guns for what they were designed.

Note: I suggest some of you go back and read "Let's Tone It Down", at the top of the forum. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Demeaning someone else while expressing it, is not acceptable here. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I disrespected no one! Nobody was singled out and if you have a guilty conscience then that is up to you to deal with. I mearly stated my opinion from first hand experienceses. I am sorry if you guys can not accept it for what it was. It is not the weapon but the operators who give it a bad name. I do not support them and have mearly expressed my opinion! Enough said.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I'm all for people owning as many AR's as they can. But I don't want them or any other semi-auto in the deer woods.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've owned an ar-15 rifle for about five years now and I've ordered a DCM upper so I can participate in service rifle matches. I've seen some bonehead/bad misbehavior at public gun ranges that involved guns other than ar-15's. I'm not prepared to ban all of the other guns so I would'nt throw the baby out with the bath water as far as AR-15's are concerned. I wish I had a dime for every time I've seen someone misbehaving while operating a motor vehicle, but nobody suggests car bans. True enough, as much as I hate to say it, semi-auto's for hunting in PA. may not be a good idea. Though I believe a trial period with mags limited to 5 rounds or less would probabaly have merit.

·
Registered
25,950 Posts
Well, they seem to work fine in all those other states that have allowed them for years, can see no reason why most of us couldn't use them here without any issues?

Have a nifty little Ruger Mini 30 that would make a dandy brush carbine with the issue sights, or another peep like the NECG one on my Mini 14. The 7.62 Rooskie round is fairly close ballistically, to another great deer cartridge, the 30-30 Win.

Like most of my lever and bolt rifles, it would likely have 3 rounds loaded in the magazine for deer season. Seldom need more than the first one, butcha never know?

I once had one of the original Bushmaster CMP rifles and it was a sweety to shoot. If you didn't mind tendin' to all them dainty little parts in the innards of the AR platform, that need cleaned and looked after.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I should refrain from this post all because a moderator started it but I just can not help it. What is the infatuation of needing to hunt PA game with a semi auto weapon? Are you that worried of a whitetail attacking you? Why don't you guys just leave the big boy toys to the people they were designed for. THE GENERAL PUBLIC HAS NO NEED FOR THE AR STYLE FIREARMS! I would like to see just one good reason for the public to "need" something like that. Please do not thrown the second admendment at me. I am not that stupid to belive that all because we have the right to bear arms then it gives us the right to own military style assult weapons.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe by definition, an assualt rifle would be a full auto gun. That's something that the AR-15 clearly is not. In that respect, the AR-15 is no different than a Browning BAR shown here or Remington 750 shown here .

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
duckman76 said:
. . .THE GENERAL PUBLIC HAS NO NEED FOR THE AR STYLE FIREARMS! I would like to see just one good reason for the public to "need" something like that.
I personally have no desire to hunt with one. They are fun to shoot at the target range, just as my semi-automatic Browning Auto 5 and my Browing A500 are fun to shoot skeet and clays with. Is that enough of a reason for the general public to own, or as you say, need one?

BTW, good, informative post bluetick.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
An AR-15 is to blame for range damage just as much as Budweiser is to blame for DUI's. It's the operator, not the object, that causes the problem.

Perhaps when people see bad behavior at ranges, they should say something about it rather than complain about the rifle being the cause of the problem. I've told people at ranges about poor behavior. I would expect the same of any member of the ranges where I shoot. I want to keep using those facilities, and some yahoo shooting up frames or the like is ruining the facilities I want to use. Why would I watch them tear it up and never say anything? If bad behavior is witnessed and nothing is done by the witness, they are equally at fault. The rifle is not the culprit. The person using it is, and so is the one who saw it and said nothing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I always found it funny when people refer to ar’s as military type firearms then say that bolt guns are ok. I don’t know much but I have a good many old military rifles that all use bolts. So if a modern bolt rifle is a copy of a Springfield 03 then it should be not sold because it is a copy of a military rifle? As for rate of fire I can shoot my AR very well I am a master class NRA high-power competitor but I bet I can shoot my 30-06 pump just as fast if I don’t care about accuracy. I wish I could hunt with semi’s because I would love to hunt dear with my M1 Grande. I agree with some of the others limit the number of shells that can be in the gun. Just my .02

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
I would also love to hunt with my M1 Garand. I did just that on a trip to North Carolina last fall. It was a blast. Had a buck dead to rights with it, but let it go as it was headed towards my father and I had hoped he'd get a shot at it.

If I want to hit something, I can't shoot my Garand any faster than I shoot my '03 (or Model 70), 1917, or Krag (although that old Krag is smoooooooooooooth!). If I just want rounds in the air, then yeah, the Garand is faster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would like to add something to this thread. I am almost 100% sure this is accurate but i must say IANAL so DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!! If you don't agree either because of ethics, opinion and/or ignorance i encourage you to contact a man of the laws and regulations for yourself and clear it up for yourself as i have done my research. This is not to start a fight either so i will not respond to ignorant threads in return for me posting this. This is for information purposes ONLY and that is all. Just a friendly reminder. Here goes...

As for carrying a class 3 FULL AUTO into the woods with you it IS LEGAL so long as they cannot prove that you are using it for hunting. Also i think this thread dissuades people from using a gun that can at some point be semi or full auto when not hunting FOR hunting after some minor modifications have been made to make it single action only while hunting. ALL OPINIONS ASIDE ON THAT SUBJECT PLEASE. Nowhere in the laws or regulations does it say you cannot render a firearm to be used in SINGLE ACTION ONLY without the ability to change it back to semi auto or full auto while you are hunting and change it back when you get home. This modification does not have to be permanent either. If all it takes is removing a spring, piston or other part to render semi auto or full auto unusable while hunting AND you can convince the GCO that it cannot be used in such a mode you are COMPLETELY FINE. This information was both confirmed by the Antes Fort branch of the Pennsylvania Game Commission near me AND the State Headquarters in Harrisburg and also quite simply by reading the laws and regulations on the federal, state and local levels.

I hope this clears things up and i would also add that, i repeat, IANAL and every situation is different. Consult someone qualified to give you legal advise, as i have about certain things, before you do something that you may think is illegal. A little bit of work goes a long way when understanding the laws. There is no need to bash me for posting this because who am i hurting for doing these things but myself. I am comfortable i WILL NOT be in violation of the law.

Also did i mention that
IANAL = I AM NOT A LAWYER
or
IANYL = I AM NOT YOUR LAWYER

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.