The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never been a member of the NRA and was pondering about joining. the other day i received a letter in the mail asking to join. is it worth it. what are the benifits. what are they mags like is one better then the other. any info would be great thanks

·
Banned
330 Posts
All gun owners should be members and yes they can be annoying at times with calls, and mail requests. I get the American Rifleman which I like but American Hunter is also good. Remember this is our voice fighting the large anti gun movement.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What are the benefits? They are the only thing standing between us and gun control, that is enough.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Every gun owner should belong ,simple as that ,
sometimes they do things that we all don"t like ,but we have to stick together and look at the big picture ,,strenght in numbers

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
The Second Amendment Foundation is another good organization fighting for your Firearms ownership rights.The annual dues are $15..They fight in all states for your rights alongside the NRA..

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
There are other pro-gun groups, but the NRA is the "big dog" in this fight, with roughly 4 million members now. They have been around since 1871.

Do I always agree with every position they've taken in the 35+ years that I've been a member?

Nope, but they are one of the primary reasons we don't have even more useless, feel-good, firearms laws on the books, than we already have.

If receiving solicitations bothers anyone, then notify them that you do not want to receive them and be content to just be an annual or life member, that contributes nothing more than the dues. That works fine for many.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
DennyF said:
If receiving solicitations bothers anyone, then notify them that you do not want to receive them and be content to just be an annual or life member, that contributes nothing more than the dues. That works fine for many.
Denny - my response may not go over very well here at HPA, but I will give another prospective on NRA's solicitation program - from the eyes of a former member.

Receiving unwanted solicitations or junk mail bothers me - whether it be Cabela's catalogs or NRA contribution solicitations.

As an annual NRA member for over ten years I noticed the frequency of NRA money solicitations hitting my mailbox increase to an almost weekly basis. It came to the point that I would toss the unopened envelopes straight in the burn barrel.

After repeated attempts over the course of several months requesting them to stop the flow of junk mail to my address, it continued.

The last straw was when I received a membership renewal notice 6 months before my annual membership expired. (Yes - I keep track of such things).

It appeared to me that they resorted to the same lowball tactics of some scam magazine companies collecting double subscription monies from unsuspecting subscribers.

In the end, I wrote a letter to Wayne L explaining why he lost a paying member. That was over 2 years ago.

I still receive correspondence every now and then stating that want me back and desperately need my support.

They should have heeded my wishes when they had the chance.

I'm not a tree-hugger, but the amount of wasted money and resources that is involved with their bulk mailing programs is pathetic.

Made we wonder if my $35 was used for nothing more than perpetuating the NRA money train.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I think you better look at their history in how many bad laws they have blocked and look at their using money to defeat attacks on our rights at the supreme court level. I don't like the early solocitations for dues any more than nyone else, I know when my membership expires and I renew at that time, lobbying organizations need money to lobby. You can bet those who support the HSUS and PETA aren't quibiling about solicitations. If you don't want to renew early, don't do it, if you don't want to make extra donations, don't do it. Membership numbers mean a lot to politicians who may not vote for a bill because of those membership numbers so simply being a member helps the cause.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not trying to start an arguement here i just want to know what my benifits into being a member consists of. so far all i have gathered is they protect me from my government. i know thats important but with that aside what are the benifits?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I understand and respect your position John.

But I also wonder how much of my annual membership fee was used up to support their weekly beg-o-gram programs.

As stated earlier, I politely requested numerous times that they remove my name from their bulk mail solicitation program to no avail.

All they had to do was hit a button on a computer keyboard.
They chose not to.

I chose not to renew my membership.

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
Lots of folks seem upset with their NRA solicitations, contests and such, that are intended to raise more money.

They do not really bother me, although I mostly only get such things from NRA/ILA now.

I don't get excited, because I know that those groups JohnS mentioned, also continually solicit their members for more money to push their causes.

HSUS is growing and is very well-funded, partially because they've managed to dupe people into thinking their money goes for animal shelters, instead of their anti-hunting campaigns and well-paid lobbyists.

Personally, I don't care how much money NRA spends on raising more money...because they haven't had to dupe me into supporting their fight to protect the Second Amendment, by pretending to something else.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
If you own firearms to hunt, self protection, target shooting or collecting you should join with the understnding that the chief benifit is that the NRA stands by the true meaning of the Second Ammendment. You will probably hear stories about some of the heavy handed methods the NRA has used to get additional money from members. Well, my response to that is that I have never heard of any organization that, at one time or another, did something over the top or stupid. NRA - all the way.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
dstewart said:
so far all i have gathered is they protect me from my government. i know thats important but with that aside what are the benifits?

I believe they still have their "Free PopTart Thursday" program.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Amercian Rifleman and American Hunter are decent magazines. The NRA supports shooting sports as well as there political action activities. If you believe in the second amendment, you will be amongst friends. However, there are other organizations out there as well.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I for one want to get Governement out of my life and I hate giving them money. The NRA is doing what ever possible to keep the Government out of my life and I smile when I write them a check.

Timber

1 - 20 of 23 Posts