The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NRA STATEMENT
12/18/2012
The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters - and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time.

http://home.nra.org/#

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I hope it's a good one. I hope they don't come off as insensitive to gun violence as many gun owners on talk forums have this week.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
If memory serves me right that was very similar to their last statement on a mass shooting.

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the NRA has to say and the differing opinions on their statement afterwards.

This is a huge press conference for them on many levels. They may grow or enter tough times as a result.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<span style="font-style: italic"> The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.
</span>

The NRA took a ton of heat over the last killings in Colorado. Then the mall shootings. Now Newtown.

The NRA can very much help direct the discussion on this hot issue. I look for them to press the mental illness aspect and enhancing the background checks. They may go as far as far as giving at least some support to the so called "gun show loophole".

All are high visibility but all, except the mental illness, are likely the most effective recruiting slogans for the anti's. So giving in a bit on the two and pushing for the mental illness provision makes them look proactive.

This congress ends the first week of January. Roughly three weeks off. A lot can change and as bad as last Friday was there are other items as dire on the radar. If the budget and sequestration deals are not resolves, attention could quickly go from gun control to everyone's pocketbook and or having a job or not.

The NRA has time.

I wouldn't be to sure to suggest that some of the "highly rated" senators and reps coming out for some sort of change based on real, honest, and unheated debate on the matter happen first aren't the beginnings of the NRA effort.

in the end, whatever happens will not happen quickly. Legislation takes time. Divisive legislation takes longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts