The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NRA has contacted HPA and asked us to get this video out to our members. Here you go:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Seriously, whats the downside to having armed guards at a school?? Not just a guy they picked up off the street for part time but a thoroughly trained guard. I agree with a lot of what the NRA has to say

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO, armed guards are better than nothing
BUT
nothing beats an armed staff. how many shooters are going to use the front door if they know an armed guard is there? back windows and doors will be much more inviting with less resistance. The only true way is to scatter the arms and keep them guessing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My brothers wife is a school teacher, and i've been out to the range with her a few times....not sure i want her to be armed. She acted like a .22lr was a .444marlin, but i see your point 4C

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh by no means do I personally suggest arming all employees. You put them through training which includes decision making, accuracy and psychological training. Then you arm those that pass or choose to go through it all.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
I think just the presence of a security vehicle parked at the front entrance of schools is enough of a deterrent for most to move on.

I don't want my kids teachers armed but have no issues with trained security being present in schools.

One more thing, often overlooked in this discussion is the safety of teachers and administrators themselves. Schools should be looking from within first how to make their school safer and how to pay for it already.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Great ideas, but with the educational budgets of most public school districts stripped to the bone, how will this be financed. Or are you just asking private schools?

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
I think the NRA needs to be stronger than these ideas.
This is how the Republicans lost the race with spouting out these turretic blurps,

Yea I have no problem with armed security, but if they are going to beat this, without relying on votes, they better get a better plan than that and commercials about the presidents kids having armed guards. So far I see them dropping the ball on this.

·
Super Moderator
14,271 Posts
dpms said:
I think just the presence of a security vehicle parked at the front entrance of schools is enough of a deterrent for most to move on.

I don't want my kids teachers armed but have no issues with trained security being present in schools.

One more thing, often overlooked in this discussion is the safety of teachers and administrators themselves. Schools should be looking from within first how to make their school safer and how to pay for it already.
Really?

None of the teachers in your kid’s school are trained Military Veterans or hunters that are already permitted and entrusted to carry a concealed firearm ANYWHERE besides their workplace? I suspect MANY of our teachers are very familiar with both firearms and handling them in both a safe and responsible manner.

Around here a high percentage of our teachers are completely capable of safely and responsibly handling a firearm. In fact I might put some of them a step above some of our non-military or hunter trained Police officers. I suspect the same is true in most other areas as well.

I have nothing against putting Armed Security Personnel in schools but I also say we should allow properly trained Teachers and Administrators to carry concealed in the schools if they want and have had the proper training. Besides just the knowledge that some Teachers and/or Administration Personnel within the school are armed would be all that was ever required to make our schools a lot safer than they are now.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Clinton was the one who suggested the same orginally, so these anti gun democrats are just plain stupid. Yes, let's get rid of the gun-free school zone laws. They don't work. Let faculty/staff who already have a concealed carry lisc get some extra training to be vetted for school carry. The knowledge alone of this will deter school shooters. They may be wacked, but they still plan, which means they aren't fully wacked. Why else do they always hit "gun free" zones? Posted malls, schools, posted movie theaters, workplaces with no-gun policies...

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
R. S. B. said:
Really?

None of the teachers in your kid’s school are trained Military Veterans or hunters that are already permitted and entrusted to carry a concealed firearm ANYWHERE besides their workplace?

Dick Bodenhorn
Yes. Really. Let teachers teach and administrators administer. Have trained security who have one primary role to attend to.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I think armed guards is a great idea, also teachers and or administrators who are willing to be trained and pass the training should be allowed access to a gun to protect the students. That way a person wishing to do harm won't know if the only threat to their plan is the armed guards.

Except for the guards I don't think the teachers/administrators should be armed at all times, keep the guns locked up but within easy access if needed. I wouldn't want to see a troubled student ambush and overpower a teacher to get their gun.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have no problem with my kids teachers carrying as long as it is their choice. And take a training course.I see no downside to this what so ever.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Personally, I think a school should be like every place else. I carry a gun everywhere, but federal property because they are "gun free zones", and it's a fed offense. I think everyone should be armed. An armed society is a polite society. These losers are targeting soft targets because they know there is no one there to stop them till the cops show up.

I did hear that the Colorado loser chose that part of town because it's a gun free area, compared to other theaters in the city.

The point: Don't necessarily have pre assigned guards sitting around bored with nothing to do, just let the people who are there anyways carry guns if they want to. Problem solved. You don't see loser shooters targeting a gun show, or a country western bar, they are picking places that they know there are no guns there.

If guns are everywhere discreetly, then no place is safe for "video game heros".

Note: in regards to weather a teacher or "trained armed guard is better", I've seen plenty of guards, and when I see them, I think to myself... "that's my protection??" (mind you I have a concealed weapon at the time)

A fit, alert teacher, or some other staff member would be just as productive as a armed guard. What kind of help do you think you are gonna get to sit at a school all day for small money? Seal Team 6?

Let the citizens police themselves. Don't let the gov't run it or you can kiss it all goodbye.

·
Super Moderator
14,271 Posts
dpms said:
R. S. B. said:
Really?

None of the teachers in your kid’s school are trained Military Veterans or hunters that are already permitted and entrusted to carry a concealed firearm ANYWHERE besides their workplace?

Dick Bodenhorn
Yes. Really. Let teachers teach and administrators administer. Have trained security who have one primary role to attend to.
With that kind of thinking then I have to say that there is no sense in anyone being armed then except for military and law enforcement personnel. They should obviously just increase everyone taxes enough to have armed Police and Security in sufficient numbers to protect everyone no mater where they might be.

If we can’t trust our teachers to use good judgment in concealed carrying and use of a firearm then they darn sure shouldn’t be around kids whether they are armed or not. Unless the Teachers in your area are a lot different than the teachers around here and fall into Some Kind of Moron category then I am sure there are plenty who would do just as well as normal Security Guards at school and student protection.

I simply don’t understand what I can only view as a COMPLETE the lack of logic in not using trained Teachers and Administrator willing to trained and carry a concealed firearm in their workplace the same and hundreds of thousands of other responsible gun owners do every day.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Where I went to school here in very rural Pa.........there are a lot of teachers, and administration that are highly qualified with a firearm........I sure would feel a lot better if they were carrying in the school, and that is a fact..If something were to happen at the school it would be at least 30 mins for PSP to arrive......I can think of at least 15 Teachers/Admin that are plenty capable with a firearm........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts