The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANybody else get this e-mail this week?!

URGENT ALERT: NRA cuts deals to limit free speech
Three prominent Washington D.C. websites are reporting what many capitol insiders warned of: the National Rifle Association has made a deal with the devil (i.e. anti-gun Democrats Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid) to limit the free speech of Americans in exchange for their carved-out exemption.
While some pro-gun rights advocates may think free speech does not matter or that nothing another gun advocacy group does should ever be questioned, the National Association for Gun Rights and I take a very different view.
Without the right to free speech, we are defenseless in the battle to save our Second Amendment rights.
Let me be clear: restricting our First Amendment rights is the first step to stripping us of our Second Amendment rights, and should be resisted at every turn.
We don’t care who you are or what an organization may have done in the past – we only care about whether your actions will promote or harm our rights.
And frankly, this craven deal by the NRA will damage our gun rights and our free speech rights. After you read up on the facts, I ask you to give the NRA an earful by calling 1-800-672-3888 and insist they renounce the deal with Pelosi and Reid. Believe me, it is not too late if you will get involved.
http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/06/14/yet-again-the-nra-sells-out-to-democrats/
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38500.html

http://www.campaignfreedom.org/newsroom/...l-deal-with-nra
Though at first objecting to the DISCLOSE Act, which would radically limit the free speech of organizations and thus, gun owners, the NRA has now agreed to an exemption for their organization (and other mammoth, mostly liberal, organizations like AARP and probably Moveon.org) in exchange for support of the Democrats’ bill.
This legislation would place draconian limitations on the ability of organizations to voice their opinions on politicians, and by extension, their legislation. The chilling effect on free speech would be difficult to overstate.
Along with their tacit endorsement of Senator Harry Reid, the NRA is signaling that they trust the Democrats will spare the Second Amendment from further assaults.
But that’s a strategy of appeasement, and to put it bluntly, it’s insane. It just delays the inevitable.
Winston Churchill addressed this strategy when he said “An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.”
Background:
This is not the only time the NRA has cut a deal to harm gun owners and gun rights in the glare of an anti-gun media frenzy.
Just a three years ago, the NRA joined with arch gun-hater Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) to pass H.R. 2640, the Veteran’s Disarmament Act. When gun control advocates saw the Virginia Tech shootings as an opportunity to pass gun control, the NRA immediately signed the documents of surrender and actively lobbied Congress to pass legislation that will disarm tens of thousands of Americans, including veterans.
Why did they do that? Frankly, they were more concerned with what the media and Washington power-bosses were saying than their loyal-to-a-fault members.
Similarly in 2004 when, desperate to pass the Firearms Manufacturers’ Lawsuits Protection bill, the NRA dangled a re-authorization of the Clinton Assault Weapons ban in front of hungry politicians. The deal was going to be that if anti-gun politicians voted for the Lawsuit Protection bill, the NRA would not oppose re-authorization of the sun-setting Clinton Gun Ban.
Thankfully, a coalition of groups led by the National Association for Gun Rights joined together to kill that deal by exposing it to the light of honest gun owners across this nation... just like we are doing now. In that fight, after a few weeks of excuses and covering their tracks, the NRA backed off of the deal, the Lawsuit Protection Bill still passed and the Clinton Gun Ban ended.
What can you do?
Tell the NRA you’ve had enough, and urge them to kill the DISCLOSE Act, not cut a deal to pass it. Call them at 1-800-672-3888 today, as it may be too late tomorrow.

·
Registered
25,907 Posts
What was the source of this email?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The NRA aside, if this passes, and I do not think it will. The Supreme Court will most likely determine the law as unconstitutional.

My basis is the very decision that prompted this law. The second is the decisions that have basically gutted all other attempts at political campaign reform.

The rules that are proposed in this law are unreasonable and are clearly designed to impede and inhibit the ability of groups to have "speech". The court has been very clear in these sort of decisions over the years.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
From the NRA website:

Thursday, June 10, 2010

http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/DiscloseAct52710.pdf

May 26, 2010

Dear Member of Congress:

I am writing to express the National Rifle Association's strong concerns with H.R. 5175, the DISCLOSE Act, as well as our opposition to this bill in its current form. It is our sincere hope that these concerns will be addressed as this legislation is considered by the full House.

Earlier this year, in Citizens United v. FEC, the Supreme Court struck down the ban on certain political speech by nonprofit membership associations such as the NRA. In an attempt to characterize that ruling as something other than a vindication of the free speech and associational rights of millions of individual American citizens, H.R. 5175 attempts to reverse that decision.

Under the First Amendment, as recognized in a long line of Supreme Court cases, citizens have the right to speak and associate privately and anonymously. H.R. 5175, however, would require the NRA to turn our membership and donor lists over to the government and to disclose top donors on political advertisements. The bill would empower the Federal Election Commission to require the NRA to reveal private, internal discussions with our four million members about political communications. This unnecessary and burdensome requirement would leave it in the hands of government officials to make a determination about the type and amount of speech that would trigger potential criminal penalties.

H.R. 5175 creates a series of byzantine disclosure requirements that have the obvious effect of intimidating speech. The bill, for example, requires "top-five funder" disclosures on TV ads that mention candidates for federal office from 90 days prior to a primary election through the general election; "top-two funder" disclosure on similar radio ads during that period; "significant funder" and "top-five funder" disclosures on similar mass mailings during that period; and "significant funder" disclosure for similar "robocalls" during that period. Internet communications are covered if placed for a fee on another website, such as the use of banner ads that mention candidates for federal office. Even worse, no exceptions are included for organizations communicating with their members. This is far worse than current law and would severely restrict the various ways that the NRA communicates with our members and like-minded individuals.

While there are some groups that have run ads and attempted to hide their identities, the NRA isn't one of them. The NRA has been in existence since 1871. Our four million members across the country contribute for the purpose of speaking during elections and participating in the political process. When the NRA runs ads, we clearly and proudly put our name on them. Indeed, that's what our members expect us to do. There is no reason to include the NRA in overly burdensome disclosure and reporting requirements that are supposedly aimed at so-called "shadow" groups.

On the issue of reporting requirements, the bill mandates that the NRA electronically file all reports with the FEC within 24 hours of each expenditure. Within 24 hours of FEC posting of the reports, the NRA would be required to put a hyperlink on our website to the exact page on which the reports appear on the FEC's website - and keep that link: active for at least one year following the date of the general election. Independent Expenditure reports would have to disclose all individuals who donate $600 or more to the NRA during the reporting period and Electioneering Communication reports would have to disclose all individuals who donate $1,000 or more to the NRA during the reporting period. There are literally thousands of NRA donors who would meet those thresholds, so these requirements would create a significant and unwarranted burden.

Some have argued that under the bill, all the NRA would have to do to avoid disclosing our $600 or $1,000 level donors is to create a "Campaign-Related Activity Account." Were we to set up such an account, however, we would be precluded from transferring more than $10,000 from our general treasury to the account; all individual donors to that account would have to specifically designate their contributions in that manner and would have to limit their contributions to $9,999; the burdensome disclosure requirements for ads, mailings and robocalls would still apply; and the NRA would be prohibited from spending money on election activity from any other source - including the NRA's Political Victory Fund (our PAC). In sum, this provision is completely unworkable.

Unfortunately, H.R. 5175 attacks nearly all of the NRA's political speech by creating an arbitrary patchwork of unprecedented reporting and disclosure requirements. Under the bill, the NRA would have to track the political priorities of each of our individual members - all four million of them. The cost of complying with these requirements would be immense and significantly restrict our ability to speak.

As noted above, there is no legitimate reason to include the NRA in H.R. 5175's overly burdensome disclosure and reporting requirements. Therefore, we will continue to work with members from both parties to address these issues. Should our concerns not be resolved - and to date, they have not been - the NRA will have no choice but to oppose passage of this legislation.

Sincerely,

Chris W. Cox

Executive Director

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
In today's anti-hunter & pro-gun control climate we will see tons of false and unfounded/unsustantiated communique beating up on our NRA trying to discredit/weaken our mission.

The desparate need to elevate such false communique by Anti's, Gun Control proponents obviously is very complimentary to our ever growing NRA Membership & our powerful impact and steadfast mission!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Unless I am missing something, the NRA did no more than protest being included in a odious bill and they were removed from inclusion. Since their function is protection of 2nd amendment rights, not 1st amendment rights I really don't see a big deal here. I have problems with some of the things the NRA has been involved in but in this instance I don't unless there is more to the story.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
I think the issue is that they are not opposing being included in the exceptions. Thus the charges that they are seeking and supporting something others do not have and have to jump hoops to comply with.

In the end, the House may pass this bill. I can almost assure everyone, the senate will not be quick to take it up. Not that it matters to some in the house and senate, but this bill could be unconstitutional. As I suggested before, look for the Supreme court to strike it down, and very possibly place an injunction on it.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DennyF said:
What was the source of this email?
It was one of the "other" pro-second amendment orgs. Can't remember which one off the top of my head. I posted this from work to try to find out more info. I knew you guys would probably know what was going on. I didn;t have time to do any digging or even get back here until now.

I have another followup e-mail that came in today, but didn;t have time to read it. And they are on my work PC. have to wait til Tues to post the details. But I'm wondering now if it was not an attempt to throw NRA under the bus by a competing pro 2nd amendment org.

Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I got the email from National Association for Gun Rights but am not vouching for its veracity.
Here is the entire thing:
I have some good news and some bad news to share with you about the NRA free speech sell out.

First, the good news.

Our pressure is working. It appears the momentum behind the anti-free speech DISCLOSE Act may be losing steam. Grassroots outrage over the NRA’s sickening attempt to cozy up to anti-gun Democrats like Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi is slowing down the bill.

Today, Forbes is reporting that Democrats are feeling the heat over their devils’ pact with the NRA.

That is good news, but the bad news is worse…

Establishment leaders from both parties may very well try to sneak this legislation through when we least expect it.

In my 17 years as a gun rights lobbyist I’ve seen it all. They may try to change the name of the bill, change the bill number, sneak it through as an amendment to another, unrelated bill, or even force a midnight vote on the legislation.

These sort of back-room histrionics are common place in Washington D.C.

Let me remind you of what’s at stake.

Liberal Democrats want to silence conservative groups like the National Association for Gun Rights.

The DISCLOSE Act is a direct attack on your First Amendment right to petition Congress and mention legislation or voting records during election season.

You and I both know that election season is the best time to hold politicians accountable for their anti-gun votes. The DISCLOSE Act is designed to silence grassroots conservative activists LIKE YOU and protect the fat-cat politicians in Washington.

Without free speech, our Second Amendment rights are certain to perish.

Understand that the DISCLOSE Act will affect every political organization you belong to, on any and every issue. It’s destruction of liberties is without parallel in American history, and sure to lead to tyranny.

Now, until this week, the DISCLOSE Act appeared doomed, but the NRA struck a deal with anti-gunners Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer (the Senate sponsor) and Harry Reid. In exchange for exemptions from the bill’s outrageous and expensive disclosure requirements, the NRA now tacitly supports the anti-free speech DISLCOSE Act.

In exchange for thirty pieces of silver, the NRA has agreed to play Judas and betray the rights and freedoms they have long claimed to support.

This sell-out is so bad that even NRA board members are now calling it for what it is: a vile inside deal.

NRA Board Member Cleta Mitchell told today's Washington Post: “This is not just ‘disclosure.’ It is a scheme hatched by political insiders to eradicate disfavored speech. There is no room under the First Amendment for Congress to make deals on political speech, whether with the NRA or anyone else.”

We may have temporarily stalled the onslaught against our rights, but the battle is far from over.

If we ease up now, the anti-gun Democrats and their toadies in the NRA will quietly push the DISCLOSE Act through Congress and silence your First Amendment right to defend your Second Amendment rights.

That is why we must redouble our efforts and continue to put pressure on the NRA and your members of Congress to oppose this outrageous attack on our First AND Second Amendment rights.

Here’s what you can do to help:

Call your Congressman and your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121. Demand that they publicly oppose the anti-free speech DISCLOSE Act (H.R.5175)

Call the NRA at (800) 672-3888 and tell them to stop pandering to liberals. Tell them to denounce the DISCLOSE ACT for what it is, an attack on both our First and Second Amendment rights.

Chip in $5, $10 or $15 to help the National Association for Gun Rights fight against the DISCLOSE Act.
George, I can’t stress how critical the next 48 hours may be for the future of this legislation. We may have temporarily stalled this legislation, but this is just a skirmish. We must continue to press our advantage until we’ve won the battle.

Please call your Congressman and your U.S. Senators and tell them to publicly oppose the anti-free speech DISCLOSE Act (H.R.5175).

Your immediate action is invaluable, and vital!

For liberty,

Dudley Brown
Executive Director

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
By the way, I am not sure why I got the above email. I am not a member of the National Association for Gun Rights.

·
Registered
25,907 Posts
Never even heard of 'em? But sometimes I like being out of touch.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Sorry Loggy, but your not right. The NRA did agree to this in a some what odd way. A few made the deal and did not bring it up to the 76 member panel for approval. It's for the blue dogs as per Fox news 6/19

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
The way I see it is the NRA is still the 800 pound Gorilla on Capitol Hill. The anti-gun lobby would love to turn gun owners off to them and weaken them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts