The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what have been your experiences with hunting with an air rifle? I haven't yet, and was just wondering what results those that are hunting with them are seeing. What is the effective range? What pellet works best (dome, pointed, hollow point, etc.). Or any other helpful hints. I may try some winter squirrel hunting and was curious. :nerd:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I Absolutely love air rifles for squirrels it's the only thing I use. Effective range is really going to come down to the gun and the shooter. I will only go out to 20 yards with my break barrel but will take 40 and sometimes 50 yard shots with the PCP. Check out the Predator Polymag pellets, they have done very well for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a revelation in regards to air rifle squirrels recently. I shot a squirrel at camp on the last day small game was open at probably 45 yards with my Gamo and I was stunned at how effective it was. I wouldn't shoot that far again intentionally but it was nice to find out there was room for misjudgment. I'd still tote a .22 in the big woods but man those things are absolutely lethal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts