The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just out shooting my TC Renegade and lo and behold, I loaded a patched ball WITHOUT putting any powder in.

I tried half a dozen times to get it out with the ball puller but I just keep getting threads full of lead.

Is there any other way to get the ball out safely other than removing the breach end? (which is very difficult)

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Take the touch hole out and see if you can get some power behind the ball. You might have enough room. If so, put the touch hole back and let er' rip.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Compressed air and a rubber tipped blowgun is best. Remove the Touch hole plug, and be careful where the muzzle is pointed.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
just as trailman said. it wont take much powder to shoot it out. done it plent of times myself. even had to do it on my cousins gun, he loaded two, yes two balls and no powder.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I made a tool on the end of a dial rod that has a screw in it , i place it down the barrel and tap it into the lead ball then drip rem oil down the barrel and pull easy , works everytime

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
TrailMan said:
Take the touch hole out and see if you can get some power behind the ball. You might have enough room. If so, put the touch hole back and let er' rip.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I had thought of removing the touch hole and putting in some powder(there is room) but wasn't sure how safe that would be.

You guys never had any issues?

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
After trickling some powder in there, make sure the ball is firmly on top of the powder
FFFFG might be easier to get in there or FFFG.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No issues with just a small amount of powder, you can even use 4f if you have a small tip on your pan powder.

Issues with no powder behind a ball, everyone gets at least one sometime!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a handy air type i bought from cabeles it screws in to a co2 like you would use for pellet guns .It has a nozzle on the end you put in the touch hole and its blows the charge out the barrel

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
fall gobbler said:
Thanks, I had thought of removing the touch hole and putting in some powder(there is room) but wasn't sure how safe that would be.

You guys never had any issues?
this can be a repetitive process. The small space might only allow a few grains, which might not push it completely out. If it doesnt come all the way out, remove flash hole again, add more powder this time, and then RESEAT THE BALL!!

Don't forget to completely reseat the ball.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
NEVER remove that breech plug.There are many ways to get dry balls out.Yes,RESEAT that ball!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have heard it said you aren't a real blackpowder shooter till you have loaded a bullet without powder and have shot your ramrod. Gee you and I are halfway there.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
CO2 discharger or compressed air is the safest. The old 4f behind the ball is fine at the range with no one around but not something you do at home or in a group of people. It can go off. CO2 discharger will be the best 30 buks you ever spend.

GBJ

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Grey Bear Jr said:
The old 4f behind the ball is fine at the range with no one around but not something you do at home or in a group of people. It can go off.
Huh? I'm confused? You want it to go off, that is the point!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
it is all about safety JH, the CO2 and compressed air is deff safer than putting powder behind the ball. IMOP

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
brewyak said:
it is all about safety JH, the CO2 and compressed air is deff safer than putting powder behind the ball. IMOP
Agreed! Perhaps we should switch to CO2 powered ML's for hunting!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts