The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks - the Allegheny and Allegheny Northwoods Chapters in northern PA will be sponsoring an Upland Bird Hunt get-together in the northwoods in November of 2009. This is going to be a fun time and a quality event! These two chapters go first class. Think about those hunter friends of yours that appreciate a quality hunt and let them know this is coming up. Sincerely,

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
John, still plenty of openings. We haven't used up our supply of huntsmen yet, so you can still be guided, or pick up one of our supplied maps and try it on yourself. If you come alone we will pair you up with another hunter, we dont want to have people hunting alone for safety reasons.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My next question was can you bring your own dogs and use a guide. I dont know my way around the ANF also is it a full banquet with auctions and raffles? Thanks

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
John, yes you can bring your own dogs and still use a huntsman(we cant use the term guide since we arent sanctioned or paid). Being one of the available huntsman, I would like to have my people use their own dogs so then can enjoy them working the birds. Our area of hunting can be more then an hour from the central location, so I cant guarantee you'll get drawn to hunt the ANF, but I can tell you, you will be hunting in prime cover no matter where you go.

Friday we will have a buffet dinner with a small auction, Saturday will be a full dinner with auction and raffles. Breakfast on Friday and Saturday will be a buffet so we can eat and get out hunting.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Are there still openings available. I am thinking about attending this year. Does anyone know if there are any hotels in this area that will allow you to keep your dog inside. I would like to hunt with mine and the hotels on the brochure say no dogs inside.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
The Microtel motel in Marienville allows dogs, but that would put you an hour away from the main meeting area.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The more I thought about this today, I just might leave the dogs home for the weekend. We will have hunted in Potter for the 2 full weeks previous, so I will let them have that weekend off. And If we have banquets and entertaining in the evening it wont give me much time to care for them in the evening and if something happens I dont know of any vets in the area. I will be calling to reserve my spot in the next couple of days.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
John, havent forgotten about you. I need to dig out my paper work for the campsites I researched when event started 6 months ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jeff,

I'm thinking seriously about attending the event, but I live too far to bring my dogs. I would also need to be paired with someone a bit older. I'm 62 and can walk OK, but back injuries slowed me down a bit. I still hunt wild chuckar out here in tough mountains, so I'm not immobile.

What should be my considerations, and can I use my 8 gauge 12 shot auto loader...

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
You would be set up with a huntsman, all of which have dogs to hunt with. You would also be matched up with another hunter who matches your hunting style. Some will want to push it hard for 2 days, some will hunt all day but at a more relaxed pace, and some will just get out for a couple hours each day, and look to relax and enjoy their time in the area. It is set up to meet everyones needs and abilities as close as we can.

Only stipulation on a gun is a 3 shot limit. 8 gauge might me a good choice. 2 shots to clear the vegetation, and one shot to hit the bird.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts