The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stoking the fire now and having me oatmeal. It is a little windy out there now. Good luck on your final stand for the regular season.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Hunting the same thick bedding area were I saw the nice buck last Saturday, he's due to make his rounds through that area or tending a doe would be ok. Not crazy about the predicted NE wind, but have to make it work.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Just getting my duds on heading out shortly. Got a 7-10 mph N wind here in 4E, I’m thinking of just ground hunting today. Good luck to everyone, shoot straight and be safe.

·
Registered
709 Posts
In my stand now. The wind isn’t perfect for it as I was expecting a slightly different direction. I only got til 10 or so today. If it doesn’t happen I’ll be dusting off the orange jacket!

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Not a good start at all! Sneaking in in the dark it was easy to see that numerous trees had fallen in the windstorm we had about a week ago. I could see my stand in the moonlight, but a good sized tree had fallen along the tree that my stand was in. I carefully assessed the condition of the climbing sticks before attempting to get up to the stand. Got up there and could see considerable damage to the stand. The seat was nearly wiped clean off and when I pressed down on the platform, and it dropped several inches below level, my worst fears had been confirmed...not safe to hunt out of. I'll take some pics and start a separate thread later today.

Good luck guys and be safe out there!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Settled in for the day in 3C. I opted to head up the mountain again, and my brother, his girl, and Dad are in a small but productive woodlot just down the road. I'm not anticipating much action this morning, but hopefully I'll see some movement midday. Good luck to all.... I'm looking forward to reading some success stories today!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My old man finally connected! Long, long overdue... first buck in seven years, and first bow buck in probably 20 years. I don't wanna talk about how many misses he's had in that time frame, but he didn't miss this one. Very good start to our day!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Congrats on a nice buck ! I slept in this morning because the past week I've been in the stand early and although I've seen a deer here or there in the mornings I figured I'd get out mid day and sit the rest of the day ! Good luck out there today and lets see some pics tonight fellows !!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Saw 14 doe and 4 bucks. Passed on a basket 8 point. One of the other bucks looked good but he ran in some thick stuff. Im only staying till 11. It is freezing because the wind is awful today. Best of luck to all braving this cold.

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
My old man finally connected! Long, long overdue... first buck in seven years, and first bow buck in probably 20 years. I don't wanna talk about how many misses he's had in that time frame, but he didn't miss this one. Very good start to our day!

Way to go Pop! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Feel bad for the 2 little ones i watched for over an hour this morning. They cant be more than 30-40 lbs and they are still covered in spots. I have seen them twice now and never a momma with them. They walked around me at 10 yards and amazes me their instincts being so little. I moved on purpose to see what they would do and they would do the famous stomp but would not leave. Then 4 doe came in below me one medium sized doe gave me a perfect 30 yard broadside shot. Double lunged and only went 20 yards. The 2 little fawns took off and i just sat there for a little before going to retrieve the doe and those little farts came right back and bedded 10 yards from lol. I doubt they will make it this winter but they are cute little guys.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts