The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
had that happen to my buddy and i last year. he shot a doe first thing in the morning and the blood trail crossed on to the nieghboring property so we went and got some lunch and then went and asked permission to go on to the nieghbors land and when we came to the end of the blood trail it was nothing but the guts. its [censored] to find that but atleast u know the deer wasnt lost and the meat was gonna get used.

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
Helped my brother look for a buck a few years back and the trail lead right to a big puddle of blood next to fresh tire tracks in a tree nursery...how anybody could feel good about themselves taking a deer they did not shoot is so far beyond me I cannot believe it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I agree this stinks. Here is a story from the other end. 2 years ago while in the stand in late archery I heard shots and had a doe, shot in the ham run and bed 80 yards or so from me. She layed there for over 2 hours and I got so cold I could not take it anymore and had to climb down. AT that point the doe and her fawn spooked and ran. I followed that blood trail and found the doe too weak to go on and put her out of her misery. I tagged the doe and took it. I don't know it is was right or wrong but there was snow and it was EASY to track, there was no excuse for someone not following that deer 3 hours after it was shot. I felt my choice was the best one considering the situation.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Several years ago I had that happen. Shot a does in the morning and didn't want to disturb the area my dad was in so waited the morning out. Got to a gut pile about an hour later.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
You dont know for sure that the person who got the deer didn't also shoot it. Maybe he was hunting and the deer staggered by him and he put it down. I dont thinkwe should always assume that the deer was "stolen". It might have been legit. I know that if a wounded deer came bleeding past my stand, I'd finish it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Good point danesdad. Personally though if i finished off a deer that already had a wound that would probably be fatal I would try and find who shot it first and give it to them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
That's a bummer!

About 10 years ago I shot a small 6pt but it was the first buck I shot with a recurve I built myself and I really wanted that deer. Same thing, tracked it up to a gut pile. Being disappointed doesn't describe it. They may have shot it after me or thought I abandoned it. Still a major bummer.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Horrible. I have seen this twice, believe or not one time the deer stepped over a gutpile from another deer. My brothers deer was 50 yards further away. Who would want a deer they didn't harvest themselves. People can be pigs!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
About 5 years ago my buddy and I were hunting my dads farm on the first day of archery.It was a pretty warm day.After awhile this buck runs down out of the woods and piles up by my stand.I yelled up to my buddy that it was doown here.He said he didnt shoot it.We sat around pondering what to do.I didnt want someones buck stinking upp my ground.After first going around the perimiter of the property yelling.We went around a square mile knocking.After having no luck my buddy tagged it.Found out later it was my neighbor who didnt answer the door he was out looking.Anyhow I didnt want no deer stinkin up my hunting spot!We did look for the one who shot it for 4 hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts