The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the perfect device for notching out the date on the deer tags.
The tool: The smallest of the "Swiss Army" type knives that are often used as a promotional item. If you've seen them, you know they are only about two inches long, about a half wide, and better that a quarter thick and they have little scissors. Those scissors are perfect for the task, even if the knock-offs are cheaply made. Of course, larger versions with scissors would work equally as well. I like the tiny ones though. I guarantee it is easier and a whole lot safer than trying to do it with your hunting knife.
My guess is many of you have one of those little SA knives stuck away in a drawer somewhere.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I been notching my NY tags for years with a knife, I'm more likely to cut my hand inside a deers chest with my knife than I am notching a tag. NY makes you sign the back of the tag too, that I still forget sometimes.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I believe you do not have to cut out the proper space, according to the directions you just cut the correct space. A single slice on the right box, should be all it takes. When I did mine nothing was removed, just sliced the right month and day.
This ^^^^^^^^^

And if you tried to cut a "notch" with a knife, you might notice that tag material is pretty tough.

They should clarify the rule to state it needs to be "sliced" about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

These tags also suck to try to write on if they are wet at all, or real cold. They should change that rule too, or at least I hope WCOs have some common sense and can see the indentations on the tag where someone tried to write on it.

Just my peeves. These tags and such can "set someone up" to get written up.

Slice the month and day, do the best you can to fill it out in the field. If it needs rewritten at home or camp, so be it.

Honestly, once again my buck wears a tag only because I choose to follow the rules. I could have easily gotten it out of the pasture and into the bed of my truck with no one knowing. Will be finished being cut up today.

And no, in the pic I posted on the opener thread, I had not yet moved or tagged the deer. I simply propped his head up a bit with my pack to snap some quick photos. I then got to work, stripped off heavy coat, completed the tag the best I could, zip-tied it to his antler, only then pulled the deer a few feet to field dress it.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Notching is super easy, happy to see it finally. My annoyance has always been writing on that stupid plastic material and having to take an otherwise completely useless writing utensil hunting in the first place. And heaven forbid you don't know what township you're hunting in.

I keep my licenses and tags in my wallet year round and this year with the new vendor noticed the print is wearing off. Some are getting pretty tough to read.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I found the perfect device for notching out the date on the deer tags.
The tool: The smallest of the "Swiss Army" type knives that are often used as a promotional item. If you've seen them, you know they are only about two inches long, about a half wide, and better that a quarter thick and they have little scissors. Those scissors are perfect for the task, even if the knock-offs are cheaply made. Of course, larger versions with scissors would work equally as well. I like the tiny ones though. I guarantee it is easier and a whole lot safer than trying to do it with your hunting knife.
My guess is many of you have one of those little SA knives stuck away in a drawer somewhere.
I was doing the exact same thing

Small enough to fit in the wallet along with the tags

·
Registered
26,192 Posts
we got three doe so far. i gutted my wifes doe while she filled out the tag, i cut the ear and zip tied the tag nice and tight to the ear. i said "did you remember to cut out the date of kill" she said uh-oh...no big deal, i wasnt about to try and cut that zip tie with a razor sharp knife with cold hands either...it didnt get notched.
my son and i got doe today and the first thing we did was cut the notch on those tags :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts