The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much my whole life my uncles and dad only ever hunted morals. That is the only mushroom I've ever picked. Found these yesterday. I looked the one up and it is pheasant something, couldn't find the other one. Are they as good to eat as morals? I hate to eat anything I don't know about. Thanks for any info and happy huntin...

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
The pheasant backs are ok if they are tender. By looking at the picture there may be a couple of them that would be good, the rest I would let there. I don't cut any of them that are bigger than a baseball at the biggest and that would only be early in the year. I actually just threw a couple out that I thought would be ok and they were tough.
As for the bottom picture, I can't say what that one is for sure.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
The top ones are pheasant backs (dryad saddle) for sure. They are pretty good when they're small and tender. When they get bigger, you can cut around the leading edge where its still tender. I dehydrate them and grind them into a powder to add to soup stock, gravy or just as a seasoning on a burger. The bottom mushroom I don't know. Maybe compare it to a deer mushroom? I've never picked deer mushrooms because I'm not certain of them. But if it is a deer mushroom its a choice edible.

Reactions: BigJob
1 - 6 of 6 Posts