The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and apologies if this gets the popcorn poppers popping, but......

Reading the 25 yards from the road thread and the comments about setting up on the berm, ect, not being a violation or using a vehicle to locate game.

Everyone on here has seen the threads on the legality of stopping and calling during turkey season.

The result is always that this practice is a violation. I get that, and I accept it, but know a lot of hunters who don't.

So, is this legal?

I drive down the road, park, get my gun, walk 30 yards off the traveled section of the road, call.....when I don't hear anything, I decide to try another spot. Unethical, maybe, but.....legal?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I think the first time you do it, walk 30yds, make a call, dont get a response and move on is fine. It's doing it over and over that the GW's can argue is stalking or unfair chase. Unethical, sure, could call it that. For me, I like to scout, find a good area, and hunt it. I'll move around some, but would NEVER consider driving, parking, walking 30yds, calling and moving on if I dont get a response. That's not hunting in my book.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nor mine.....I guess I should have said, “asking for a friend....”

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
My best guess is it's up to the Warden's interpretation. You kinda know road hunting when you see it, and I certainly see a lot of it especially in deer season and more and more in archery since xbows. Driving down the road 3 mph with the windows down. I would not define moving between turkey spots to locate birds road hunting. That's getting a little overzealous. My vehicle is certainly allowed to transport me between hunting locations, so long as I hunt when I get there and don't actively hunt from the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
... So, is this legal?

I drive down the road, park, get my gun, walk 30 yards off the traveled section of the road, call.....when I don't hear anything, I decide to try another spot. Unethical, maybe, but.....legal ?
In my OPINION, this would be subject to an officer's interpretation based on all the facts as observed.

For example:

Was the vehicle parked well off the berm, and appears to be parked for a period of time, or was the vehicle still halfway on the road, not locked up, etc ?

Was any wildlife observed prior to the hunter stopping ?

The 25 yard criteria applies to alighting & shooting, not to an individual who has parked his vehicle for an extended period of time, and proceeds to go hunting.

Lots of variables !

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I always find it amusing that you're supposed to drive around with your blinders on.
I have several areas I hit mid mornings that often have birds out in the fields.

I'm going there, I'm hunting there regardless of me seeing or hearing a bird from the truck because I know birds are there.
But, if I see birds from my moving vehicle, I legally can't hunt there? That's just silly.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Parking and walking in 30 yards and then loading and calling is a legal hunt as long as you are not doing it on posted property and you are the required 150 yard distance from a residence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts