The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up one of these little guys last Saturday.

Went out to the range on Sunday and ran about 200 rounds through it. Had a couple of times where the bolt failed to pick a round off of the magazine and a few times where it jammed the round into the feed ramp. By the end of the shooting session, it seemed that it had quit, so I chocked it up to being new.

Took it back out this evening and ran another hundred or so through it with similar results.

Should I just take it back or contact Ruger on this? I like the little gun, but I'm not looking forward to a lifetime of clearing jams with it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I had a similar problem with a mark II. Was using cheap remington rounds. Switched to CCI stingers, more powder in them than the rem. You need the bolt to cycle more powerfully and this prettyt much solved my problem. try some different loads. Oh yea, the rems were hollow points and they seemed to catch where the solids did not

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Mine shoots fine!!!Might be the ammo your using...Look on the ammo web sites to see what brand and type has more vel. That probaby your problem... You need better ammo!

I have so much 22 ammo I can't even tell you what kind I use. I do buy the blocks of ammo but it has been years since I purchased any..

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
If you wanna shoot the cheaper 22 rounds from a blow back operated 22 you gotta clean regularly and be willing to live with some malfunctions....

I used to shoot cci mini mags from my buck mark...i still do..but mostly use cheap stuff now that even 22 ammo isnt so cheap anymore...i shoot copper plated ammo and its better than the lead..i dont run into many malfunctions at all...but i dont shoot a bunch at a time either...

Cheaper ammo is alo dirtier than the more expensive stuff which is why i say clean it more often...even if its a quick brushing of the internals, feed ramp etc on the range..

·
Registered
638 Posts
i had one that did the same thing, sent it back to ruger, now it never fails.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If you wany any 22 semi-auto (Rifle or pistol) to run you want to use only high-velocity ammo, not standard velocity. Even then sometimes you have to try different ones to see what your gun likes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Davy...Please note: on a Smith Model 41, only use standard ammo. Otherwise is will hurt the frame of this 1000.00 handgun. Doc in Pa.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Doc in Pa said:
Davy...Please note: on a Smith Model 41, only use standard ammo. Otherwise is will hurt the frame of this 1000.00 handgun. Doc in Pa.
Not sure how this is relevant to the op but this is false. The 41 can handle any round you feed it. It won't LIKE most of the higher velocity stuff as far as accuracy, but you won't damage the frame or the slide in any way. This come DIRECTLY from S&W btw.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
In fact, when I used to shoot target, some of the 41 owners would trim off maybe a ring or three of the recoil spring to aid in functioning with the lower velocity rounds.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Davy Crockett said:
If you wany any 22 semi-auto (Rifle or pistol) to run you want to use only high-velocity ammo, not standard velocity. Even then sometimes you have to try different ones to see what your gun likes.
Guess I'll have to drop a bit more cash on ammo and find out what it likes.

I didn't know that.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
jpsmith1 said:
Davy Crockett said:
Guess I'll have to drop a bit more cash on ammo and find out what it likes.

I didn't know that.
This is also not true either. I have 2 Ruger .22 semi's; the original MK II heavy bbl and a MK III target and both of them will shoot everything I feed them but the really low velocity stuff where I'll get a bunch of stove pipes and mis-feeds. They will even function flawlessly with the Aquilla Sniper Sub-Sonics which are only around 930 fps. You have to THOROUGHLY clean it before you even put a round through it and then LIGHTLY lube all the friction surfaces with a good paste or silicone lube. DO NOT use remoil or wd-40 as they will gum and varnish and suck up fouling like a sponge. once you have a few boxes of ammo through it it should be broken in just fine.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PA-Joe said:
Did you clean and lube the pistol and clean the mags?
No.

I'm not very familiar with semi-autos.

Should I have stripped, cleaned and lubed the gun before evwer shooting it?

The only new guns I've ever bought have been revolvers.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
jpsmith1 said:
PA-Joe said:
Did you clean and lube the pistol and clean the mags?
No.

I'm not very familiar with semi-autos.

Should I have stripped, cleaned and lubed the gun before evwer shooting it?
The only new guns I've ever bought have been revolvers.
Absolutely. The 22/45 is so much easier to strip down than the older MK-II's and III's. A can of gun scrubber or brake parts cleaner (not on the polymer frame!) is your best friend to get all the kosmoline out of your new pistol. After you've completely cleaned and de-gunked it, you want to use a light silicone lube or one of the paste lubes that you can put right where you need it. after that you should see a drastic improvement in function.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Cleaning before you shoot any new firearm is usually recommended by the manufacturer. A lot of oil and grit are left behind from the manufacturing process. After cleaning, don't over lubricate. I use a q-tip with a single drop of oil to lubricate all of the mfg. recommended lubrication points.
Use a good quality lubricant like breakfree or rem oil.
If you use a gunscrubber like Joe recommends, you'll need to use slightly more lubricant because the scrubbers dry out the metal. You can lightly coat the scrubbed parts then wipe off any visible oil.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
I've never had a "smoke stacking" problem with my bull barrel MkIII 22/45, but I primarily use copper-plated HV ammo in it. It's about three years old now and has probably seen well over a thousand rounds.

My only complaint is with the grips. Mine is an early version with the too-slim grip. From what I can tell, later versions have thicker panels, although there is a source for aftermarket grip panels that are fairly easy to install on the version I have.

There's a guy on rimfire central that offers the replacements that install over the orignal grip. Some drilling required.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts