The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some photos of an in-line failure. In the later pictures they have pictures of the guy's hand/ what's left.

Of course I have no idea what may have gone wrong, abuse, over charge, barrel obstruction or manufacturing defect. It is the kind of risk I fear everytime I see posts about using lots of pellets of Whoop butt substitute powder in guns. Or guys claiming they are getting 3,000 ft per sec with their in-lines.

Be careful and use better than common sense.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tfprocter/Gu...211948573486322

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Why would his hand be around the barrel when he shot? Who does that?

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect it was on the forearm, in the usual position. If you see it looks like the tip of his thumb is gone which would have been next to the barrel. The whole foreatock was blown off. Couldn't have been good for his hand.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
I suspect it was on the forearm, in the usual position. If you see it looks like the tip of his thumb is gone which would have been next to the barrel. The whole foreatock was blown off. Couldn't have been good for his hand.
Good point. Funny thing is, anytime I shoot off of a sled like that, rarely do I ever put my hands on the forend. Most of the time I rest it on top of the scope. Kinda glad I do that now...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Buk_Huntir said:
doesnt look like he shot his hand. the barrel exploded and blew his hand apart

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Danimal said:
Buk_Huntir said:
doesnt look like he shot his hand. the barrel exploded and blew his hand apart
I understand that. Unless of course he has go-go gadget arms

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Zimm,

Thanks for the posting. I actually collect these for my historic weapons safety course. From the damage this looks like either an overcharge or a mid-barrel obstruction (a charge not rammed down completely, maybe.) He is very lucky. I have slides of a guy who lost his hand and wrist to a similar accident. Looks like he may retain some usage of his hand.

Your point is a good one and one I will add is that muzzleloaders are weapons. They are not novelties and they are not toys. They should be treated with all of the respect and safety of any gun. Too often I see guys take a gun off the rack at their gun store, buy their powder and shot, head to the range and start loading. They hear their buddy talk about 150 grain charges or mixing 2f with 4f and because its their buddy they think he knows what he's doing. The results are often like this.

GBJ

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I don't know exactly what happened but make sure that projectile is seated against the powder and more is not always better.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
WOW, That's going to leave a mark.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts