The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as many of you know the old doge ram 1500 neon died on my last week when the timing belt went out of it on the turnpike. Not a fun experience to say the least.

I bought a 2010 ford escape last night. I went with the 4 cylinder model. I was a little iffy on its ability to go up hills, but was surpised at how well it did. I took it up old 22 towards Cresson. If any of you are familiar you know it is a steep hill. I held a constant speed of 60 mph at 2500 rpm. I jumped on it and quickly went to 70 but had a 4000 rpm reading.

I averaged 26.5 mpg on the way to work today so its only 2.5 mpg off from the neon so that is good. Pretty excited to have this vehicle as I now have 4wd. Which was tested last night on some strip roads

The v6 modle was not as quite or smooth on the shift. I will be adding a few stickers, naturally, and a looking at towing packages for it to put a deer hauler on, or tow my dads 8 foot utility trailer for dry wall and such if need be.

Looks like it should fit the bill for my needs of a fuel efficient SUV, with a 5 star safety rating (for the kids) and 4wd.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
Great choice. I was thinking of buying something like that for my wife and selling her car. Definitely want 4x4 as well.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If ever you are in blair, or cambria counties let me know, you can give her a test drive.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I didn't think it was available in 4WD only AWD, that is good, I like the looks of the escape, a buddy of mine uses one for his construction vehicle..Turkey Mike that is a good looking vehicle..

·
Registered
804 Posts
my wife has a 2005 with the V6. it has been very reliable. it has 170000 miles and only ever replaced brakes, tires and the altenator

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drove like pappy today to work. hard to complain with numbers like this

First sticker was put on yesterday.

Have a few more to add. LOL

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Ya see that rear window hinge in your second pic? You might want to check the screws that go through the window into the hinge. They have the tendency to corrode and snap off. Last week I repaired both on my son's '06, both of his broke when he opened the window! From what I understand it seems to be a common problem with the Escape and Explorers. BTW, The Ford dealer's price, $75 per hinge kit, you can't buy just the screw.

Its and easy fix with a 1/4-20 bottom tap, two 1" SS 1/4-20 screws, two SS 1/4" flat washers and the plastic bushings off the original screw heads.

FYI...

Bill

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My buddy (Maul) on here, just had that happen with his 04 as well.

Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a pair of coil spring spacers reserved at autozone. They are only 5.99 there. I just want to get that front end up a bit to prevent me from braking that plastic shield under the bumper.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got some seat covers this weekend as well. Need them with the dog riding in the back seat.

Autozone was a bit off in their inventory so I didn't get to pick up the coil spacers. Will be stopping by tonight and getting them.

I took her offroading a bit this weekend. I was very happy with the maneuverability and quickness to get out of ruts and such. Saw a really nice buck as well. No slipping in the mud and such. Handled crawling over some rocks and such with no issues. I did watch my gas mileage drop down to 22 and 20 though.

Just got a little bit of mud on the escape. Nothing like how my old jeep Cherokee used to look, but I will not be doing the same type of stuff in this vehicle. Overall I am very happy with the escape and feel I made the right choice.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
My son and DIL are happy with theirs. Other than the hinge issue and a three hour plus job to remove the intake (V6) to replace the rear plugs its been trouble free.

Bill

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another reason I went with the I4. everthing is right there in the open. I remembered how bad it was changing plugs in my ranger back in the day.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Got my Grouse Commander stickers put on last night, one each side. My license plate came in last night. WIll put up pics once the leveling kit is fully installed.

Here was mid install. Hoping to slide them closer to the top of the coil and get the most out of the spacer.

Pretty simple to put on. I zip tied them in place as well.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Does the new Escape 4 cyl come in 4 WD. Does a 6 cyl come in 4 WD, everything now seems to be AWD. I have that in my Buick Rainier, would prefer 4 WD

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
TurkeyMike said:
I drove like pappy today to work. hard to complain with numbers like this

I once drove my brand new 2005 F-250 diesel home from Pittsburgh to Hanover like a pappy, to see what it would get. About 22 MPG. I'll never do it again. Way to slow and frustrating!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts