The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow I have known for roughly 35 years...... he's close to 70, an avid hunter........ asked me this morning what I knew about blue grouse. I told him about all I knew of them was they were from the Pacific northwest and pretty closely related to the spruce grouse. I told him that I DO KNOW that spruce grouse are dumb as a rock and act about tame.

He goes on to tell me that he saw one (he said it was a blue grouse) about a month ago. Said it was when everything was still all snow-covered. There was a mound in the woods with green ferns sticking out and this bird was on top of the greens. Said he walked to within 4 feet of the bird (sounds like a blue or a spruce) before it walked down off the hump and away from him.

Location of the sighting?? The Indiana/Jefferson county line area.........

WTH ????

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sprucies actually do have ranges as near as NY and MI.

But I can't imagine how one would just pop up in west-central PA.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've never seen a spruce grouse or a blue grouse but my thoughts on this topic...

When I moved to Wellsboro in 2006 my wife and I took a trip to Niagara Falls and saw our first black squirrels. Never in my life had I imagined 5 years later I'd have half a dozen in my yard and now 8 yrs later there are more black squirrels in the area of my house than there are grey squirrels.

....anything is possible

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
I think Jagger nailed it. Probably a grey phase ruffed grouse. Some places in Northern PA have "decent" population of grey birds, maybe as high as 1 in 10. Much fewer the further south you go.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dap said:
I think Jagger nailed it. Probably a grey phase ruffed grouse. Some places in Northern PA have "decent" population of grey birds, maybe as high as 1 in 10. Much fewer the further south you go.
Not so sure.

I shoulda gotten more details. But there was another fellow showing him a picture of a blue or a sprucie on his smartphone and he seemed to be confirming that it was the bird he saw. There is a BIG difference in appearance between those two and a gray-phase ruffed.

I'm gonna have to quiz him up in a bit more detail this Sunday. I'm as skeptical as anyone on this, but..........

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the hen Spruce grouse looks even more like the Ruffed grouse than the Blue as the Blue is a larger bird. The males, however, are WAY different. But it's all speculation until I get more info from the fellow as to what he claims to have seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts