The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use the partion for deer. I shoot a 7mm wsm and shoot the fed 160 gr pt for bear and they shoot great. Always have used win power points for deer but last year they did not hold togther well. I think velocity was to high and range to close. I know the pt would hold together but just wonder if they open up enough for deer.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
The nosler partition is a great bullet and would serve you well for deer and bear,especially in the 160gr you plan on using.I use Nosler partitions in alot of my rifles,the others get ballistic tips.
JIM

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I'm probably too fussy about accuracy but always found I could get better accuracy from non-Partitions....now that I've "found" the Accubond I use them in a lot of different cartridges....the performance of the Partition and accuracy of the Ballistic-Tip....best of both worlds....

I killed one buck with a 100 gr. Partition in a .257 Roberts years ago....great penetration; lousy expansion...same experience with a 180 Fail Safe in a .30/06....took a smallish doe last year with a 286 NP in a 9.3x74R-same story as above...too much bullet for deer....

Accubonds are essentially the same except more accurate than a Partition...put the bullet in the right place and deer don't go far with either....

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have used Nosler Partitions for years in many different calibers and have always been pleased!!!
Pricey but worth it!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
606 Posts
my friend uses 160 grain Nosler Partitions out of his 7mm RSAUM for deer and elk with great sucess I'm goin to use 180 Nosler Partitions out of my 300 WSM this year

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
There are better bullets for deer,I have heard of partitions not opening up properly on deer but how far is a deer going to go after being shot through the heart or lungs with a partition.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I use nothing but partitions in my 30.06 and love them. Have shot deer and bear with them and I wouldn't recommend anything else in my 06.

That said, I could not get good groups out of my 300 though so I switched that one to Barnes for my trip out west this year.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use Partitions out of my .243, and have been happy with the expansion and the results on the 4-5 deer I have shot with that combo. I am a big Accubond fan in my 7mm-08 and .30-06.

Will

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Despite the new and "improved" techno bullets Nosler Partitions have been and still are one of the best bullets available for big game. I would love to see a pic of the Partition bullet that "didn't open up."

Muab Dib

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Whitetails aren't that hard to kill. Virtually any bullet, within reason, out of your 7mmWSM will drop one. I don't see a Partition being necessary until you start hunting bigger game such as elk or moose.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
What wd said, with an exception to the smaller bores such as 6mm/257 and especially the bigger 22's. Then they can be useful on our PA whitetails.

Muab

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Muab Dib said:
I would love to see a pic of the Partition bullet that "didn't open up."
Muab Dib
I don't think that it's a question of the bullet expanding, but a question of how much....Most pics I see of spent partition slugs show the front end of the bullet destroyed with the copper jacket peeled back to the partition..I think I'd sooner have that wide chunk of lead still intact in front to help make the hole larger...I've killed deer with 25 cal. 100 gr. partitions and they do the job well, but unless you hit a nice hunk of bone, they don't leave a very impressive exit hole.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Muab Dib said:
I would love to see a pic of the Partition bullet that "didn't open up." Muab Dib
That would be about impossible, considering the bullet passed completely through....a caliber-sized exit hole is proof enough for me....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Not for me. Partitions are made for the front portion of the bullet to expand a bit dramatically to the point of the partition and then stop, very often leaving only the rear section (the partition itself, the remaining jacket. and remaining lead core) to continue penetrating. That would leave a caliber sized hole on exit, but the damage would have been done by the expanded front half of the bullet. To my knowledge no one has ever been able to show proof of a failed partition bullet. In fact one gun rag writer has offered a tidy sum of money for actual "proof" that a Nosler Partion bullet failed to do what it was made to do...to my knowledge he's had no takers...and likely never will.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've never seen the need for a bullet to exit. I've killed a number of whitetails using 95gr Nosler ballistic tips (which never exit) out of a .243 and they've never ran any farther than the ones killed with the .270 or 300wsm. It seems to me if a bullet exits that it's energy wasted by not being transferred to the target.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Huh? I've seen NPs recovered from moose, elk, big bear and all had part of the frontal portion still attached....your post suggests the front part completely separates sometimes which is hardly the case on our whitetails....

Partitions do not fail to penetrate but they do fail to fully expand when encountering light resistance....

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I'll take a pass through with expansion, thank you....I want to always be prepared for a less than optimum opportunity on a nice buck and the 6mm 95 gr. BT doesn't give me the edge I want....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
And you're suggesting that they never do? High velocity and short range can cause a partition to expand back to the partition and lose the front section of the bullet during the process.

Muab

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
winchesterbob said:
I'll take a pass through with expansion, thank you....I want to always be prepared for a less than optimum opportunity on a nice buck and the 6mm 95 gr. BT doesn't give me the edge I want....
Define "less than optimum". I've killed a bunch of whitetail from various angles, through various bones, and never lost one or had them go farther than 50 odd yards. From my experience the term "less than optimum" is often followed by a tracking job and a bunch of excuses.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts