The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nosler seems to have reconfigured the NBT and slapped the "Hunting" tag on it. The cutaway bullet picture very closely resembles the Accubond although it doesn't say it's bonded. According to the pictures of mushroomed bullets on the box they seem to hold together very well even at 3,200 fps. I've switched over to this bullet for all my hunting except for things like Moose or Elk. I've done some penetration testing and even the 125 grain .30 seems to hold together and penetrate well. It outpenetrated the 150 grain cup and cores I compared it to.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I shot two deer with them last year out of my 25-06, in the 100gr flavor. One was at 60 yards, and one was at 260. I had them loaded up with 55gr of RL-22, and was shooting them out of my browning x-bolt wit ha 24 inch barrel. I don't have a chrono, so I have no idea what the actual velocity was, but it should have been somewhere close to 3200. In both cases, I thought I missed the deer. Each ran about 15 yards, stopped, look around and fell over dead. Upon field dressing, the lungs in both deer were trashed, and I found a few pieces of copper jacket shrapnel in the chest cavity. Both deer had a nickel sized exit wound also. You can't ask for much more than that. Vitals destroyed, and a hole on both sides. I think I'll stick with them and see how they keep on performing. The price is right, and the shoot good in my gun. I had heard stories of them comping apart/blowing up but the limited experience I had with them was great.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have 400 old BT's and have yet to shoot them, going to load them in my .270 Model 760. Hope they are accurate for me.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I shoot 140 grainers out of an older Rem 700 BDL 7mm mag. One word--devastating. I only use them for whitetails though. Super accurate to. I've taken probably 15-20 with the BT's. And they hit like a lightning bolt DRT. And they always exit. The newer Rem 700 doesn't liker though. It likes the 162 grain Amax better. I actually took two deer with those bullets and they both blew the insides up, but both times the bullet came apart. Once I found half of it under the far side skin and the other just fragmented into a gazillion pieces. Needless to say I won't try them again. Both deer didnt run far. One ran about 40 yards and one about 20. But I hate butchering and eating them like that.

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
Been killing deer with .257/100gr Btips from a 25-06, since the year they introduced them in that diameter/weight. Zero issues with supposed "blow ups". Most kills were at over 300 yards. It's all I shoot in any one of 3 rifles in that chambering.

Nosler made some changes in jacket thickness and design some years ago, in many of their smaller diameter BT bullets designed for deer-sized game.

They have always clearly identified what each bullet was for in smaller diameters: Varmints or Hunting.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have been shooting the Nosler BT's in a few of my 30-06's for a long time. No need to do a penetration test. Just go pick up a dead deer. For distances from 5 yards to 500 yards. I have shot deer at those distances with the 30-06 cartridge, and the 165 grain BT---dead deer.

They shoot very well for me, and I like the weight of 165 grain. In all but one of my 30-06's I either shoot the Sierra or the Nosler 165 grain bullet. Whichever is more accurate is the choice. And the Nosler shoots better in most of my rifles.

I have heard Nosler has supposedly redisgned this bullet a couple different times. I honestly don't know if that is true or not. I picked up 1,000 five or six years ago when a dealer was going out of business. Those will last me for the rest of my hunting life. But then I shoot cast bullets for practice, not jacketed. Tom.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm switching to them for black bear as well. Not the 125's that I'm running now.....Something a bit heavier... not sure what yet?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have been shooting the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips for about 5 years now. They are loaded with Noslers Ballistic Silvertip Bullet. I shoot 168 grain out of my .308 and I have never had a deer take a step yet. They performed so well for me that my dad and uncle switched over to them also. My dad shoots a .06 and a .280 and my uncle shoots a .06 and a .270. I haven't had any pass throughs they always stay inside the deer and the result is devastating. Usually just a bunch of jelly inside them when I field dress them. I like a bullet that doesn't pass through because I beleive it is depositing all of it's energy in the animal, instead of carrying that energy to who knows where once it goes out the opposite side.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The "Hunting" version appears to be the exact same bullet. I'm sure the "Varmint" version shown above is identical to the B.T. Varmint as well.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Maybe they have reconfigured the jacket thickness on the BT.

My only experiences have been with the original ones. I've seen them literally disintegrate 3 times. Once a 130 gr. .277" and twice a 150 gr. .308". All three were neck or front shoulder shots on whitetails from 15 to 60 yards. All 3 deer were killed and recovered. Meat damage was severe.

No way I'd ever use the originals on bear unless I was shooting the heaviest weight-for-caliber. Even then............ ???????

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was no fan of the originals. But now that they have thickened the jackets up I like them. I've never seen a gun yet that wouldn't shoot them.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I'll agree with that, they are very accurate out of everything I've tried them in. I also shoot the "varmint" ballistic silvertip out of my .243 for groundhogs and coyotes. That thing explaodes on contact.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
One of my favorite deer bullets....

I'm testing the accubond now..and I'm liking what I see so far...shot a couple deer with the 225gr .358cal accubond and it did what they said every time...expanded rapidly to 2x and retained 70% of its weight(recovered one I shot into a buck hind quarter/hip/guts/vitals/ front should and stopped in the muscle of the front shoulder...absolutely sick..that's about 4ft of penetration and hitting the heaviest bones and muscle groups in a deer...not to mention the damage..looked like a blender hit it...I guess a blender might as well have hit it lol..that big bullet was cookin when it smacked home....(buck was clearly gut shot earlier that morning or I wouldn't have taken that shot)

I am shooting 165gr accubonds in .308 this year for deer...and 225s in the whelen for bear of course..I really like what I see...great rapid expansion and great penetration...and she's accurate...both my rifles are shooting sub-moa..and both are pump guns...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I can't remember the last deer I shot the was NOT with a Nosler BT. I have shot deer with a 243 Win and 240 Wea Mag with 95 Gr BT. Taken several with the 25/06 Rem and 257 Wea. Mag. with the 115 BT. Taken several with the 270 Win and 270 WSM with the 130 BT. Took several with the 7mm/08 Rem,7mm Rem Mag and the 7mm Wea. Mag with the 140 and 150 BT. Taken a couple with the good old 30/06 with 150 BT. I have never had a problem, with one exception. That was a early run of the 270 130 gr. BT in my old 270 Win. The bullets in the early years were really soft and exploded like bombs. I shot a deer one time that looked like it was shot at close range with a load of 00 buck! Killed the deer but man what damage! They have since made them a little harder and they work GREAT!

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
If you go to the Nosler site, there are explanations of the changes made in some BTs, since they were initially introduced.

For the most part, some bullets intended for deer-sized game have had their jackets "toughened", either by using thicker jackets (primarily towards the base) and some modification of the design.

One has to bear in mind that some diameters/weights have been around for some time and additions have been made across that spectrum, since introduction. Since the 100gr .257 Btip came out, they've added 85gr and 115gr versions, for example. The 100gr bullet has worked so well for me on both long range 'chucks and deer, never had any urge to try the other two.

I've never had any problems with the numerous deer killed with the 100gr Btip from a 25-06 and most of those kills were with the original bullets. Have also killed a few deer with a 30-06 and original 165gr Btips. Again, no issues.

55gr pills fired from a 243 or 6mm, are very explosive on woodchucks. The 95gr version is a dandy deer bullet in those two cartridges.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sold off all my existing stock of 180 grain handloads and have switched to only ballistic tips in .30 and will do the same in .27. The reason is because I shot three deer this past season with 180's and had to trail all three. Not far mind you but it got me to thinking and I realized that every animal I ever shoot with 180's, no matter what size, runs off. No DRT's. My dad shot a 200 pound bear last year with 180's and the same experience. He had to trail it up and finish it off after an initial good hit. He's now gone back to 150 cup and cores for everything but I've had trouble in the past with those going off like bombs and wrecking my venison so I'm going the NBT route. But I'm done with 180's.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I've always thought the 165 or 168 grain performed the best for me out of 30 caliber rifles. I've tried 150's and they seemed to do more damage (I assumed because of the speed) and the 180's seemed to punch a hole through both sides without expanding much, resulting in tracking an animal.

I've never shot core lokts, but I have used the old remington extended range loads, they performed well but once I found the ballistic silvertip I haven't shot anything else since. I have shot 3 bucks with ballistic silvertips and I don't know how many does and I have yet to track one, all DRT's. Probably talking around 15 or so deer in the last 5 years. Some I shot with a .308 and some with a .280.

The only other bullet I have used lately was a trophy bonded bear claw in my .375 for bear. I decided to take it out this past season and shoot a doe with it, DRT is an understatement, I won't be using it on deer anymore.

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
I loaded 150gr Speer Hot Cores in 30-06 for many years. Not only did I kill several deer with them over the years, my cousin killed far more deer than I did, with those reloads I furnished him with.

The difference being, while I used one of my 30-06s from time to time, his 30-06 was the only deer rifle he used.

When I finally exhausted my supply of 150s, loaded up one more batch of 100 with the same Speer bullet in 165gr, most of which went to my farmer cousin. During that time period, I was given an almost full box of the then-new 165gr Btips and that's all I now shoot in most of my 30-06s. Except for some more 150gr Speers loaded a few years ago, for a 1903 US Rem in original condition. Thumped a doe with that relic in 2008 and the 150gr Hot Cores still work as well as they did 20 years ago.

Nothing much wrong with "cup'n core" bullets for deer. People have been killing deer with them for a very long time and today's bullets are generally better than what folks were using 50 years ago.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts