The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping that someone on here could point me in the right direction. I am not looking for the location of anyone's honeyhole, but I am trying to figure out which boat launches I could put in at on the Upper sections of Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers that have long stretches of water deep enough for me to run a 16' aluminum boat with an outboard motor and do some exploring/fishing.

I live in New Milford, and my local accesses (Hallstead and Oakland) have about a 1/8 mile of drivable water before it gets too shallow for anything but a canoe. My hope is to find some accesses on the Susky between the NY border and Tunkhannock and somewhere on the Delaware between Hancock and Callicoon. Maybe the whole length of the river(s) are drivable along those stretches, but I am used to my section of the river that is extremely shallow and don't know what to expect elsewhere.

Steve

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don't know about the Susky, but I wouldn't do an outboard on the Delaware in the stretch you mention. There are som long pools but each of them have a riffle or two between them that can tought to get through in a loaded drift boat without touching bottom here or there.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JK SE Pa said:
I wouldn't do an outboard on the Delaware in the stretch you mention.
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a similar scenario to what I have on my section of the Susky. Canoes/kayaks it is then, for the Delaware.

Would still be interested in hearing about the North Branch of the Susky is anyone has any experience with it. I have heard people talk about drifting long sections of the river in boats bigger than mine, but I don't know where they were putting in at.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Send for the Delaware river Recreation map. It covers the whole river in small sections showing the riffles,etc.

Local knowledge is still best!

My dad showed me the way thru one section of shallow water. For years I slip to the side and find then way w/ my canoe as I listened to all those rental canoes scraping bottom.

I'd leave the whole mess of rentals behind by not having to drag my canoe thru in low water.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
Most ramps on both rivers are on pools because they provide access to navigatable waters. I usually plan on fishing the individual pool and don't venture out of them.

Water level varies by the day, season and storms. I have been on both rivers when water level raised a foot or two because of storms up in NY.

Sometimes in the spring the water is higher and you can make it out of a pool but then you have to contend with faster / higher water which can be a problem. I never head south out of a pool because I might not be able to get back up.

BTW I'm using a prop. A jet would be much better for either river. I used a buddy’s jet and I was impressed. It opened up a lot of water.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dogface said:
Most ramps on both rivers are on pools because they provide access to navigatable waters.
This has been my experience as well on my sections of the Susky. I guess what sparked my question was that I seem to recall hearing someone talking about putting a bass boat in the North Branch near Sayre, and floating all the way down to Wyalusing. I know that the river has changed big-time due to the floods (not to mention the fact that it changes on a weekly basis anyways) so I wasn't sure if this was still possible. Or if I misheard, and maybe it never was possible.

Dogface said:
I used a buddy’s jet and I was impressed. It opened up a lot of water.
I have a jet boat for waterskiing, that only draws 3" when on plane - but somehow I think the Chevy 350 smallblock motor and the lack of mufflers might scare away all the fish

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
If you know the river and have transportation you can do a long float trip. We did a few on the lower river. Just don't miss the ramp.

Sayre to Wyalusing is my favorite strech of the North Branch. I never floated it. Just fished the pools and riffles. There are some narrow fast streches I would be concerned about on a float trip.

BTW that jet boat will work. You just have to get on plane and avoid all those rocks that are 2 inches deep.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Steve -

As others have said, the Delaware from Hancock to Calicoon isn't suitable for motor boats. That's best done in a canoe, kayak or inflatable, such as a small one or two person pontoon. There are also a number of drift boats used there, although it can get a bit low for them when the water is down later in the year, and a lot of rowing can be required to go any distance then.

There are a number of places to put in and take out all along that river section, which offers some world class trout fishing, plus incomparable scenery.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MT_flyfisher said:
That's best done in a canoe, kayak or inflatable
That was my backup plan. I'm looking forward to exploring some new territory!

I'd still appreciate some feedback on the North Branch if anyone has anything they're willing to share.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
We fish the Susky from the New York line to Towanda. It's best to have a jet motor you can go down river with a prop but you can't get back uo over most of rhe rifels. It is great fishing. Good Put in spots at Sayre and Hornbrook.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black Labs - thanks for the info!

I don't have a problem trimming my motor up and drifting, I just would like to have an idea of where I can put in and which launch to leave the truck/trailer at. Your post definitely helps to point me in the right direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts