The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to do some more fishing in the NC part of the state this year and am looking for some input. Im not looking for your GPS coordinates to your favorite hole/parking spot but would rather get some constructive information on the numerous steams in the Tioga/Potter area. Our camp is outside of Galeton and Im curious as to what streams and worth while. I havent fished up there for the better part of 13 years Id say but when I did we hit Pine Kettle and some smaller streams I dont know the name of or remember how to get there. Any pointers would be great

·
20,167 Posts
I dont know man.......Impossible request. Just pick any valley with running water in that area and you're going to find good to decent trout fishing. It's not something you can mess up. That whole area is just loaded. Try a bunch of creeks! Around Galeton YES they are most certainly worth while. Any of them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'll second that. Just go to the PAFBC website county map and you can just about throw a dart and hit great fishing. My annual trip is just a little west of where you are talking about in mostly McKean/Potter/Elk Counties. I go in early June and the last couple of years have had some of the lowest, clearest water I've ever seen up there and still managed to catch tons of trout. The stocked streams were still full of trout in June. About the only areas that got any pressure were 100 yards above or below a bridge. I just get dropped off a mile or so downstream and work my way back up through some sections full of fish that rarely get touched. And if you are willing to fight through a little thick stuff and do some exploring, the native streams are everywhere. Let me know what you think your Western boundary might be and there might be a little overlap of a few streams I am familiar with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sometimes finding the untouched/unstocked streams is as much fun as hitting the honey hole.... (wow... that really could be taken the wrong way)

I usually spend the better part of the summer finding little creeks/runs that most other people drive by every day and never think about fishing it. There are few things better than an walk through a few miles of mountain creeks on a hot summer day.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Lots to choose from! What is your preference of water? lake, larger streams, small streams, brooks? What type of bait? I'm assuming you're near Gaines, so you have many choices.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
hit all three branches of the Genesee and feeder streams . no need to go any place else for small stream fishing . All flowing water in northern potter county hold trout .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts