The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You got the golden ticket. I was drawn in 2008 actually January of 2009, the year before we moved from SEPA. I shot two doe and had three tags. Could have shot a third no problem, but already had a buck and a doe from NYS in the freezer, so couldn't bring myself to shoot a third. It was fun, that's for sure. Good luck, and wait til you see the bucks you have to pass up!!!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
What area? I was in area 4 two years ago and felt a little unsafe. I did shoot a doe and had another tag to fill but left when they blew the lunch whistle. Good luck and wear lots of orange!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Got drawn first year, and never went since I used all tags before the hunt. I am currently working across the street at the new hospital, and the herd is definitely knocked back. I live off TWP. line rd. and would see 30 deer a day years back. Working on the roof piping the air handlers for the past couple months, the most seen at first light was 4. You guys will get deer as they keep em moving all day, but numbers are starting to get in check!

·
Registered
260 Posts
i drew this year too area 2...last year i drew for the first time and got 1 antlerless deer in area 1...i saw at least 80-100 deer last year.... as they drive the deer for you mostly in the afternoon..but it is a good hunt you will see lots of deer

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I've never been drawn for the Farm Park hunt, but I've only applied once or twice. I was hunting at a spot right outside the Farm Park last Monday, I was seeing deer all day long, you should do fine.

I did get drawn for the shoot at Graterford about 20 years ago, before it became a youth hunt...talk about a fish-in-a barrel hunt!!!!
The deer I shot that time practically ran me over, LOL.

Good luck fellas!!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Nicky I live 5 minutes from the park, and hunt in the area, but not near the park. If you have a spot that borders the park, and I know all the property that touches it, you either have a great friend or an excellent piece that you own. I am jealous! Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
25ftup- I live in KOP. I have a good friend who has permission, I was just lucky enough to get an invite.
One hand washes the other, I've brought him to some of my former hotspots in the past.

To be honest, I'd forgotten all about the Farm Park hunt till I read this thread. I may just take a sick day on the 25th and try talking him into hunting this spot again, I bet once they start pushing the deer over in the park it will be cherry picking time.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I applied to the Graterford hunt this year, which was cancelled, both youth and adult. Wish I knew this was available, good late season activity. Guaranteed meat!!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I also applied for the youth hunt for my boys at graterford and got the letter that it was cancelled??? Nicky, if I still had a buck tag and I was you, I would definitely be next to the park on the 25th with my bow!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I walk and shed hunt the farm park quite abit with my dog. We pushed some really nice bucks and afew doe yesterday. Not sure how the hunt works, but if you need some recommendations let me know.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the hunt at the park was yesterday with 35 hunters taking 34 anterless deer (23 doe, 11 buck). I took a fawn doe in the morning and left at 11. The Park put on a good organized hunt imo along with the sheriff's dept and game comm. I was in area 2 and saw guys all around (3 within 100yds). Saw doe that were shot 4 and 5 times (what a waste). On the prison bus ride to area locations I overheard hunters talking about their intention to take 8 deer a piece (who does that?). Needless to say I saw and heard enough. All of that said and done I enjoyed the morning there and the few hunters that I had conversation with and also appreciated the chance to hunt close to where I live.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i was in area 2 wasn't much shooting in 2...i didn't shoot at all...seen about 50 deer in the fields and a few in the woods but nothing within range...seen a herd of about 30 in the afternoon but they didn't come in to the woods they went thru the cornfield into area 4

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Was working all day across the street and heard VERY LITTLE shooting. Didn't they push them them for you guys back and forth? I had a feeling it was going to be slow in there this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was in 2 also did not come close to getting a shoot. Its a free hunt and I do not want to complain but I wish they would limit the amount of deer one hunter can get. The guy parked next to me got 5 in area 3. Yes they did push deer but nothing made it to the bottom of 2.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts