The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a TC 50cal Hawkins. While cleaning it today I noticed that I can't push the ram rod all the way to the breech plug, with a cleaning/ loading jag attached, stops about 1 inch shy. The brass brush will go the whole way but I can feel it get tight at the same spot.
What's up?

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
This is a TC 50 Hawken Flint Breech plug:
the threads are 5/8x18

the hollow in the breech plug shank is only 3/8. So your jag is bumping up against this constriction and stopping about an inch forward of the touch hole.

ie Normal

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, now if I can just find the washer that the lock mounting screw goes thru, that's on the left outside of the stock, I'll be good to go. Hasn't been a good day.
Thanks again

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Coureur most all the closed breech rifles of recent and not so recent manufacture are restricted in this way. Trying to clean the chamber below the threads can make a preacher cuss. Even my accusporter is that way as it is of the closed breech type. I also give mine a firm bump with my hand to be sure the powder fills that chamber on loading.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Coureur, if you want to knock out some of the crap inside the breech, use a .32 cal. brush. Digs in and gets quite a bit out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts