The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to see if anyone here has had any success with getting a NY pistol permit as a non-resident...specifically via Chautauqua county. I took a full time job in December working in Jamestown NY. I have always had a PA LTCF, but of course that means zilch up there. From reading NY state law, it looks like there is a clause for owning a business in NY or being employed in NY for them to issue a non-resident permit. There are also some anecdotal reports of people having them out there. Again, just looking to see if anyone has any insight.

Thanks in advance...and mods please move of this is not the right place.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn’t be concerned about it if I didn’t drive up here twice a week. I may end up just giving it a try and seeing if they’ll even accept an application from a NR.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live In Bradford County,south of Chemung county NY, and I got New York state pistol permit thru Chemung County . I do not work or own a business in Chemung county. The application also said if you regularly do business in Chemung county which I do. I shop and buy gas in Chemung county (gas is $.25 less per gallon.) I also have a hunt camp in New York, so it’s nice to have a New York pistol permit. The class I went to for PA residents was full, probably 200 people, and the instructors were very professional and very friendly to us Pennsylvanians. I forget the initial cost, maybe 100 bucks, and I think it’s three dollars for each handgun you add to your permit , it’s good for five years.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Chemung is unique in NY and other border counties have not been willing with non resident permits. I worked for 30 years in Broome Co and there was no reciprocal with Susquehanna Co. My NY coworkers had Pa permits from Susq Co. You can try based on the NY state "principally employed" clause but it is going to be up to whoever the local authority is. NY is not a shall issue state.

https://www.mytwintiers.com/news-cat/local-news/chemung-county-acting-sheriff-explains-pistol-permit-agreement-with-neighboring-counties/

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chemung is unique in NY and other border counties have not been willing with non resident permits. I worked for 30 years in Broome Co and there was no reciprocal with Susquehanna Co. My NY coworkers had Pa permits from Susq Co. You can try based on the NY state "principally employed" clause but it is going to be up to whoever the local authority is. NY is not a shall issue state.

https://www.mytwintiers.com/news-cat/local-news/chemung-county-acting-sheriff-explains-pistol-permit-agreement-with-neighboring-counties/
The principally employee is what I am counting on to make my case. We shall see...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts