The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever used the Nocqua battery? They are very pricey but these batteries are 12 volt lithium that come in 4.4 Ah and 10.0 Ah. They say they are water proof and only weigh about 1.5 pounds compared to the average lead acid 12 volt battery weighing about 8 to 10 pounds. I'm looking to get one for my new fishfinder I got for the kayak but want to get opinions on i first.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Try Radio shack for a 12 volt 7 ah for only $34. I use one for my ice fishing and charge it once before the season and once after. Run it constantly. 4-5 hours a trip usually about 60 trips a year. I use it in my canoe all spring.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, I purchased the the 10 Ah Nocqua Battery for the fishfinder. As you can see on the scale that it only weighs 1.75 Lbs. This should be a great set-up for the kayak!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Should be indeed, is it some sort of gel cell?
I recently installed a 7 amp hour gel cell for a bow mounted fish finder on my boat.
I secured it and a small charger inside a small size plastic ammo box.
Ive been able to get 3 full days fishing without a recharge and the unit still running strong.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should be indeed, is it some sort of gel cell?
I recently installed a 7 amp hour gel cell for a bow mounted fish finder on my boat.
I secured it and a small charger inside a small size plastic ammo box.
Ive been able to get 3 full days fishing without a recharge and the unit still running strong.

It's a lithium battery in some sort of waterproof casing. I can't wait to try it. It figured that winter decided to return in March.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's a lithium battery in some sort of waterproof casing. I can't wait to try it. It figured that winter decided to return in March.
Sounds good, hope it works out well for you. I found since my last post that I can go 3 five or six
hour trips without a recharge, but not 4 trips. lol. Winter winds are everywhere including Florida.
Its been brutal lately due to rough water and controlling the boat due to wind. If you can find a protected area, putting the boat into the weeds and staying put is about the best option if you have the patience for it.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trapperrick, where did you buy the battery at ?

I ordered it from Cabela's. You can find them atother online sites but Cabela's was the only place that I could find the 10 Ah. Everyone else has the 12 volt 4.4 Ah.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
when I first added a fish finder to my kayak about 15 or so years ago i went to a local shop looking for a motorcycle battery.
the cycle shop owner pulled out a catalog and I ended up getting a battery for backing up a home alarm system.
it was made by interstate was completely sealed about 8"x2'x5", 12vt and 18ah and weighed about 2lbs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts