The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 18 month old Spinone that I would like to get out to work Nockamixon ( or any other close stocked areas) for some Pheasants. I am new to the area ( Philly ) and looking for good info on good places to start looking for stocked birds.
Shes has proven herself In Maine and I would be happy to meet up and run her for anyone interested in getting out on week days as well.
The Spin is a semi close range , steady moving long hard worker .

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The Nock is the only place left in Bucks County that is still stocked. My Father and Brother were their on Saturday and said it was a mad house. FYI be careful it's extra packed. You may want to try other locations. Just look on the PGC site for all the stocked locations.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I live 5 min. from the Nock and hardly ever hunt it, nice grounds and cover but just simply too many people. Travel farther to some of the bigger areas and it will be worth the trip.

·
Registered
970 Posts
My 2 cents, if you can swing it is go to a preserve, avoid the agravation of SGL, and have a nice hunt. I'd rather have one good hunt than 10 bad ones. Even better, get a membership at a preserve that will let you scratch hunt for free.

With so few areas stocked now its not looking like its going to be much fun anymore. Beltzville, Fench Creek, Nockamixon, and SGL 243 are going to get hammered by everyone from the local area and from the south and east.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input , can always use more , the offer is still running to run my girl for ya as well !

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
If you are primarily interested in working your dog, have you considered just going out on a Sunday?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
chip319 said:
It was off the list last year to, but it was stocked.
.....If it was stocked last year, it wasn't by the PGC.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Don't know how far you are from Beltsville Its right off turnpike inLehigton I would use Daps advise if you come to Beltsville and do it on sunday its got some great fields and the resivor is nice this time of year

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live 5 minutes from Evansburg and train my dog there almost weekly. I haven't seen a pheasant there in the last year. Lots of woodcock if you kept it right when they are moving through.

234 in Schwenksville is another area that gets a fair amount of birds. Can be pretty crowded on weekends.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The other option I would add is to use Powderbourne . 10 Pheasants for $200. The cover is thick and the birds are very strong flyers this year.

If you just want to train the dog find 2 guys with a $100 or 4 with $50 each. You run the dog and they run the guns. Your dog gets trained and the shooters are happy.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Go to Clover Hollow above Allentown.....SGL near French Creek was stocked last Thursday..buddy of mine was there shot 2....Evansburg is off list and not stocked anymore...best place is Blue Marcsh above Reading...1/2 hour from my place..Pottstown.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The pickings are slim. I won't go to the Nock anywhere near the opener. Later, after things calm down I will sometimes stop by with the dog if I only have a couple hours, but I really try to go someplace else. The Nock gets hit too hard, by too many people. Evansburg is dead. I didn't see a bird there at all last year. Like some of the guys said, if you want to hunt SE go to a preserve, Clover Hollow is very good, and Powderbourne is cheap (but good for what it is).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts